Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff happening in my house

• 04-05-2012 10:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭

ok, well first off im a skeptic and would try to explain things off as a natural event if i was talking ghosts to someone.................................but things have been happening in my house .

First event was Nov. 2010 Was about 4 in the morning and i could hear someone/thing moving about my house (live alone cept for a cat) .

Discovered i couldnt move in the bed but everything i heard was so real to me. It was the sound of my dad getting up, going to the bathroom, heading downstairs and making tea . I could hear everything even the teaspoon rattling in the mug. I know the cat could hear something too as she was going mad in the room with me

I even heard my front door open and his van start up.

All well and good cept my dad was dead 4 years and the sounds didnt match my house , ie he used the bathroom upstairs but mine is down stairs.

Nothing else happened till recently, last month i was upstairs when i heard a bang, went downstairs to discover the glass in one of my presses shattered. Dunno how it happened.

Last week was putting my youngest to bed when, clear as day i heard a voice say "goodnight father" child fast asleep and either way he is 1 yo and cant talk.

monday night i was reading in bed when i ,swear to god, felt someone sit on my bed .

Finally last night i was watching tv on the couch when the cats food bowl started banging off the bin , she was asleep on my lap.

I dont feel scared but i am getting a bit creeped out and at the back of my mind is i have 3 v young kids who stay with me and im afraid they ll see/hear something.

Anyway sorry bout the long, meandering post. Im sure i ve left out some stuff

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭omen80

Sounds like it could be a ghost? Or possibly an alien? Or maybe an alien ghost?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,650 ✭✭✭✭maccored

i think theres two main things to keep in mind

1) Dont let your imagination run away with you even if there are weird things going on. Sometimes its hard to separate one from the other.
    2) Don't panic. Keep a logical mind.

I'd keep a small notepad handy and write anything down as it happens. Then you can read over it after and a logical reason for whatever happened might come to mind.

Also think about when this started to happen. Sometimes you might find that your father may have been on your mind for a particular reason and then you tie that into everything else.

Finally, if it gets worse and you need a hand figuring it out, there's plenty of groups around that might be able to help. You can always contact ourselves from http://www.leinsterparanormal.com if you need any advice or help.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭GOODME

I think you need to explain more to us and see how we can advise you.

1. did your father live in that house before?
    2. I know it hard but how did he die?
    3. how long have you been in that house, has there been a history of death that was not naturally caused?

At times people get this so that the person who has passed can try solve issues so they can rest in peace.

Some houses are haunted as there as souls that have never rested in peace.
    prayers do help.

Please give more info

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

omen80 wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be a ghost? Or possibly an alien? Or maybe an alien ghost?
    Just a quick reminder that this kind of funneh response is not really the thing to do here. Keep it helpful, guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lizerb23

Owryan wrote: »
    ok, well first off im a skeptic and would try to explain things off as a natural event if i was talking ghosts to someone.................................but things have been happening in my house .

First event was Nov. 2010 Was about 4 in the morning and i could hear someone/thing moving about my house (live alone cept for a cat) .

Discovered i couldnt move in the bed but everything i heard was so real to me. It was the sound of my dad getting up, going to the bathroom, heading downstairs and making tea . I could hear everything even the teaspoon rattling in the mug. I know the cat could hear something too as she was going mad in the room with me

All well and good cept my dad was dead 4 years and the sounds didnt match my house , ie he used the bathroom upstairs but mine is down stairs.

Nothing else happened till recently, last month i was upstairs when i heard a bang, went downstairs to discover the glass in one of my presses shattered. Dunno how it happened.

Last week was putting my youngest to bed when, clear as day i heard a voice say "goodnight father" child fast asleep and either way he is 1 yo and cant talk.

monday night i was reading in bed when i ,swear to god, felt someone sit on my bed .

Finally last night i was watching tv on the couch when the cats food bowl started banging off the bin , she was asleep on my lap.

I dont feel scared but i am getting a bit creeped out and at the back of my mind is i have 3 v young kids who stay with me and im afraid they ll see/hear something.

Is there someone that can come and bless the house or something. sounds scary , maybe it is your dad watching over you making sure your ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

lizerb23 wrote: »
    Is there someone that can come and bless the house or something. sounds scary , maybe it is your dad watching over you making sure your ok.

Why would you assume that he is religious ? I honestly can't see how 'blessing' the house is going achieve anything.

I would go with maccored's logical suggestion !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Sorry for not replying sooner folks, but thanks for the replies.

To the best of my knowledge my dad never set foot in the house, he was a milkman and later on a postie so he could ve been at some stage. But that would only be a v tentative link if any.

He passed away of a heart attack 5 yr ago this weekend so i can see the idea of me linking him to whats going on , but other than the night i heard him i cant say he is "here" or doing the other things .

Im only here 3 years and dont know much about the place other than its v old.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Hi Owryan.

Not trying to dismiss anything you said, but by any chance is your house a semi-d or terraced? I live in a very old terraced house and when I first moved in, I could hear people walking up and down the stairs, opening doors, etc.
    Later on I realised I was just hearing my neighbours.

I definitely believe in spirits and an afterlife but I try to look for a rational explanation first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

OP - there are a few valid questions that everyone should answer before posting a story:

- do you have a history of any mental illness in the family?
    - do you or have you ever used any drugs like LSD, mushrooms, Salvia?
    - do you drink alcohol (if so, how often rather how much)?
    - have you ever suffered from:

a) depression
    b) insomnia
    c) head injuries
    d) trauma (as result of traumatic experience)

- have you ever abused any drug (medicine)?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 toughtofind

Old Tom wrote: »
    OP - there are a few valid questions that everyone should answer before posting a story:

- do you have a history of any mental illness in the family?
    - do you or have you ever used any drugs like LSD, mushrooms, Salvia?
    - do you drink alcohol (if so, how often rather how much)?

a) depression
    b) insomnia
    c) head injuries
    d) trauma (as result of traumatic experience)

- have you ever abused any drug (medicine)?

OP- I hope you can say YES to all of the above, that would make it a fantastic experience.

• Advertisement

Hi Owryan.

Not trying to dismiss anything you said, but by any chance is your house a semi-d or terraced? I live in a very old terraced house and when I first moved in, I could hear people walking up and down the stairs, opening doors, etc.
    Later on I realised I was just hearing my neighbours.

I definitely believe in spirits and an afterlife but I try to look for a rational explanation first.

It is a v old terr. house, but i'm pretty sure its not the neighbours as i ve never heard anything before and the house itself is pretty solid

Besides the stuff i ve heard came from within the same room and most def. sounded the same.

Old Tom wrote: »

- do you have a history of any mental illness in the family? Yes
    - do you or have you ever used any drugs like LSD, mushrooms, Salvia? Never
    - do you drink alcohol (if so, how often rather how much)? not v often

a) depression yes
    b) insomnia no
    c) head injuries no
    d) trauma (as result of traumatic experience) no

- have you ever abused any drug (medicine)? no

I accept i could ve imagined the noise/sound of someone walking about but as for the voice/someone sitting on the bed/cats bowl banging , they all happened while i was awake and the cat reacted to 2 of them as well .

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I accept i could ve imagined the noise/sound of someone walking about but as for the voice/someone sitting on the bed/cats bowl banging , they all happened while i was awake and the cat reacted to 2 of them as well .

Edit: I wrote out a reply but I swear to God the cursor kept deleting what I wrote - very weird.

Anyway OP a few separate incidents happened in the house I live in, but I try not to make a deal out of it, as I live on my own.

One evening my rabbit was on the stairs and she kept banging her foot on the stairs. (She only does this when she feels threatened, as in when I have to chase after her to pick her up!) I asked her was she OK but she kept banging her foot. The fly window was open upstairs so I closed this and she stopped - perhaps she could hear something outside that she didn't like.

Another Night one of the doors upstairs slammed shut. I went upstairs to check if I had left a window open but I hadnt. The doors are old and the floors carpeted and it's quite hard to close the doors. The only explanation I can give is the door was almost shut and the 'latch' wasn't fully in the 'lock' and it slipped into it. It was pretty loud though and even my rabbit jumped!

Another time a couple of years ago my brother was downstairs watching TV on his own at night and he heard a loud exhale a few feet away from him!

I told my brother about the other incidents and he said to only heed them if they keep happening. He's right. There's no point freaking out

Not freaking out.................................yet lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Animals react very differently to humans to any changes in the environment. I have noticed that that there is a particular song that makes my cat go absolutely insane. She gets terrified, runs around and looks around the corners like she was expecting to see someone there. I guess it's to do with a low-level frequency that I either can't hear or don't find disturbing. Relying on animals can be misleading.

Remember - you live in a "live" environment: the magnetic fields change, the noises are there and you mind is very, very vulnerable to all this. For example, a strong wind blowing against your walls/windows can cause a really low tones you will be unable to hear, but your brain will receive and it results in feeling a presence of someone else near you - this is an interesting fact, isn't it?

Our brains also make a lot of mistakes. They may create projection of things that you remember, don't want to happen or do want to happen or don't remember, but have "saved" in your subconsciousness. Even if you see something with your own eyes doesn't mean it's really there - it's just your brain thinks it's there. The more you think of it, the more things you see. The more you afraid, the more projection you will get.

Being fair, I have a couple of unbelievable stories to tell myself, but you, sir, can relax - nothing's there but you and your brain.

Really should have updated this thread sooner , apologies all .

Anyway been a good few more "experiences" in the last few weeks .

Have heard whistling in the house, on my own , not from tv or radio. Sounded like someone whistling for the dog and came from the sitting room

Human shaped shadows , one suddenly appeared over me , ie someone standing behind me with a light behind them , but no light was on .

The biggies : things switching themselves off. the radio has suddenly switched off at the mains, my sockets have on/off switches . It was on in the background and next time i noticed it was off. Was alone at the time

the washing machine, similar to the radio except the dial for selecting the wash went from its setting to the off position . There was a wash cycle running at the time and it happened literally while i was in the room .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Judging by your stories, I'd be more worried about the wiring in your house than ghosts, you should get everything checked out by an electrician, just in case! :)

lockie1983 wrote: »
    Judging by your stories, I'd be more worried about the wiring in your house than ghosts, you should get everything checked out by an electrician, just in case! :)

How would the wiring Whistle, cast shadows or talk ??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The biggies : things switching themselves off. the radio has suddenly switched off at the mains, my sockets have on/off switches . It was on in the background and next time i noticed it was off. Was alone at the time

the washing machine, similar to the radio except the dial for selecting the wash went from its setting to the off position . There was a wash cycle running at the time and it happened literally while i was in the room .

I was just referring to them, they could be separate from the other things happening which are very bizarre and creepy sounding! :(

lockie1983 wrote: »
    I was just referring to them, they could be separate from the other things happening which are very bizarre and creepy sounding! :(

Ok, personally i find it unlikely to be the wiring, in the house 2 years and never even had a tripped switch but i see what your getting at .

• Advertisement

pen and paper and jot down when things happen. always the best start. I lived in a house where radios where turning off and on etc ... and as far I can remember, when I came on here looking for help, I was laughed at (no offense, paranormal forum)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,548 ✭✭✭Micky 32

On certain models of washing machines the dial can go back to off if there's a fault, certain Whirlpool ones can ;). Certain Hoover/Candy machines if the selector is faulty , the dial can go moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 motherofthree

my god most of the replys are rubbish ,you could smudge your house ,what i did when my child kept seeing this man in the house and my brother met him another nite was holy water and salt dont ask me about the salt i dont have a clue what it does ,i went around the outside and threw out the water and salt on the ground i think i was saying bless this house ,i went inside then and every corner of all the rooms i did doing the same thing dip your fingers and flick into the corners and bless this house ,no man any more all stopped ,he didnt know what i did either my son .....as i said you can buy smudge and do that if you want:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 purplelight

you keep mentioning your dad, so you already know this is your dad, go with your instinct, its usually the right answer.. he is letting you know hes there with you.... dont be afraid of the children 'seeing' things, chances are theyve already seen him, children are all born with the ability to 'see', most lose it as there growing up,.. i have something you can try yourself to see if its your dad, pm me if you want to try it, im not posting it here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

my god most of the replys are rubbish ,you could smudge your house ,what i did when my child kept seeing this man in the house and my brother met him another nite was holy water and salt dont ask me about the salt i dont have a clue what it does ,i went around the outside and threw out the water and salt on the ground i think i was saying bless this house ,i went inside then and every corner of all the rooms i did doing the same thing dip your fingers and flick into the corners and bless this house ,no man any more all stopped ,he didnt know what i did either my son .....as i said you can buy smudge and do that if you want:)

Most of the replies are rubbish, yet holy water & salt circled around a house isn't?

Not in this forum it's not, no.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Most of the replies are rubbish, yet holy water & salt circled around a house isn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Try living in my hose I kid you not really weird, 2 things that that are the weirdest at night when im down stairs I can hear foot steps up stairs even tho I am alone and no matter what I try the towel holder in the bathroom will not keep the towel on it so weird (its a circular ring and the towel goes through centre of it ) towel is folded half way so no overhang .Might be a ghost. Hope he is friendly if we ever meet :-)

maccored wrote: »
    Not in this forum it's not, no.

If the likes of certain washing machine dials are known to reset etc when faulty, it doesn't matter what forum you put it in...it's a known fact & therefore not stupid.

Just because this is the paranormal forum, doesn't mean people should ignore the obvious. Granted it's but one example, but I havn't seen any stupid responses in the thread?

EnterNow wrote: »
    If the likes of certain washing machine dials are known to reset etc when faulty, it doesn't matter what forum you put it in...it's a known fact & therefore not stupid.

Just because this is the paranormal forum, doesn't mean people should ignore the obvious. Granted it's but one example, but I havn't seen any stupid responses in the thread?

With regard to the washing machine, if there is a fault a red light comes on. the dial has never reset itself .

Anyone is welcome to post their opinion, whether it is stupid or not is subjective.

I'm just posting my experiences and if there is a rational reason then deadly but skeptic tho i am, some occurances seem to defy explanation, so far.

• Advertisement

With regard to the washing machine, if there is a fault a red light comes on. the dial has never reset itself .

Anyone is welcome to post their opinion, whether it is stupid or not is subjective.

I'm just posting my experiences and if there is a rational reason then deadly but skeptic tho i am, some occurances seem to defy explanation, so far.

Cool, just from reading your earlier posts, the reply about some dials moving themselves caught my eye & could well be an explanation for that particular event. Seems logical that it's a mechanical issue as opposed to something supernatural...but you never know!!
    Micky 32 wrote: »
    On certain models of washing machines the dial can go back to off if there's a fault, certain Whirlpool ones can ;). Certain Hoover/Candy machines if the selector is faulty , the dial can go moving around.

Advertisement