Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The car petrol and diesel thread....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

Ended up in the red today and had to get petrol here after all

So after reading someones post in here about being overcharged I stopped at 10 litres purely out of curiously and it cost 16.41.

In fairness it's only 2 tenths of a cent over but out of principle I told yerman behind the register when I was paying. Got the reply 'yeah what do you want me to do about it?'. Nice sh*t! After handing over 50 quid and that's the attitude, never again!

I didn't see the price below 163.9 anywhere until I got to Clare again.

Actually you were overcharged by 2 cents not 2 tenths of a cent.
    Multiply that by the amount of fuel the garage sells in a week/month/year and the garage is robbing people of a nice sum of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Multiply that by the amount of fuel the garage sells in a week/month/year and the garage is robbing people of a nice sum of money.

161.9 in Emo and Top in Salthill. Thats what it was 2 days ago anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭yer man!

Why is fuel cheaper in dublin and cork? diesel is 154.9 in most places around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

So after reading someones post in here about being overcharged I stopped at 10 litres purely out of curiously and it cost 16.41.

In fairness it's only 2 tenths of a cent over but out of principle I told yerman behind the register when I was paying. Got the reply 'yeah what do you want me to do about it?'. Nice sh*t! After handing over 50 quid and that's the attitude, never again!
    I don't see how you work out anyone is being ripped off in this situation? The OP stopped when the pump showed 10 litres. Presuming, like most pumps in Ireland it displays to the nearest 10ml it, the display actually read 10.00 litres. But, because the display only shows you two decimal places the 10.00 actually means the range from 10.0000-10.0099. And the price over that range is €16.39 if you got exactly 10.0000; €16.40 if you get 10.0032 litres or €16.41 if you got 10.0092. So three different prices, all accurate, and all while the display reads 10.00 litres. If it were more than €0.02 absolute difference (like your earlier post) then that would be proof there is something suspicious but, on the basis of the information given, there isn't necessarily anything untoward going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

Petrol 157.9 in Ballindine, if anyone is heading to Sligo or Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭aido76

Petrol 161.9, Diesel is 157.9 in Glynns opposite Airport. Cheapest I have seen around Galway in the last week :(

• aido76 wrote: »
    Petrol 161.9, Diesel is 157.9 in Glynns opposite Airport. Cheapest I have seen around Galway in the last week :(

they are only that cheap because of yer man up at Grealishes who is usually a cent cheaper

If it wasnt for him, you can be sure they'd be the same as the rest

I don't see how you work out anyone is being ripped off in this situation? The OP stopped when the pump showed 10 litres. Presuming, like most pumps in Ireland it displays to the nearest 10ml it, the display actually read 10.00 litres. But, because the display only shows you two decimal places the 10.00 actually means the range from 10.0000-10.0099. And the price over that range is €16.39 if you got exactly 10.0000; €16.40 if you get 10.0032 litres or €16.41 if you got 10.0092. So three different prices, all accurate, and all while the display reads 10.00 litres. If it were more than €0.02 absolute difference (like your earlier post) then that would be proof there is something suspicious but, on the basis of the information given, there isn't necessarily anything untoward going on.

I would agree with you except for the fact that at the garage which I usually use in Ballindine, which a poster has mentioned, is not only cheaper but their pumps read spot on to the cent.
    If they can do it so can others.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Why if as you say pumps read to the nearest 10ml are you using measures of 4 decimal places and not 3?I'm bamboozled:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,198 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

165.9 / l Petrol at O' Connors Garage, Cong today.... :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Why if as you say pumps read to the nearest 10ml are you using measures of 4 decimal places and not 3?I'm bamboozled:confused:
    Pumps display to two decimal places but they read more accurately than that. If they only counted on the basis of what they displayed then the counter that shows the amount you should pay would jump in increments of €0.01639. For example, it would jump from €0.00 to €0.02 (10ml/0.01 litres) then €0.03 (20ml/0.02 litres), €0.05 (30ml/0.03 litres) etc. But it doesn't do that. It climbs smoothly.

Pumps display to two decimal places but they read more accurately than that. If they only counted on the basis of what they displayed then the counter that shows the amount you should pay would jump in increments of €0.01639. For example, it would jump from €0.00 to €0.02 (10ml/0.01 litres) then €0.03 (20ml/0.02 litres), €0.05 (30ml/0.03 litres) etc. But it doesn't do that. It climbs smoothly.

This is all very well, but you are going off track slightly. If I put in 10 ltrs @ 161.8 cents per ltr, which I did, I don't be expected to be asked to pay more than 16.18 euro which I was. I was asked to pay 16.78 euro, which I refused to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

This is all very well, but you are going off track slightly. If I put in 10 ltrs @ 161.8 cents per ltr, which I did, I don't be expected to be asked to pay more than 16.18 euro which I was. I was asked to pay 16.78 euro, which I refused to pay.

You were definitely over charged but the post above is not going off track. It is simple mathematics. 10.00999999999 litres of fuel would still cost €16.34 and this would register as 10 litres exactly on the pump. If you were charged between €16.18 and €16.34 you would not be overcharged but in this case you were overcharged by at least 44 cent or 4.4 cent per litre. As a rule of thumb for 10 litres of fuel allow for an overall rounding discrepancy of 10% of the per litre cost.

zarquon wrote: »
    You were definitely over charged but the post above is not going off track. It is simple mathematics. 10.00999999999 litres of fuel would still cost €16.34 and this would register as 10 litres exactly on the pump. If you were charged between €16.18 and €16.34 you would not be overcharged but in this case you were overcharged by at least 44 cent or 4.4 cent per litre. As a rule of thumb for 10 litres of fuel allow for an overall rounding discrepancy of 10% of the per litre cost.

I fully understand the mathematics as I spent many years working in accounts and statistics offices, my point is that the pumps should be accurate to the number of decimal point shown on the pump which is 2.

If someone would tell be how to insert a 'photo of the pump in question I will do so as I took one at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭cyberblade 918c

ladhrann wrote: »
    Petrol 157.9 in Ballindine, if anyone is heading to Sligo or Mayo.

Noticed that myself - now I know its just over the Mayo border - but yet in milltown last week end petrol was 1.63.9 - which I thought was nuts as Ballindine is only about 5 miles away:rolleyes:

Noticed that myself - now I know its just over the Mayo border - but yet in milltown last week end petrol was 1.63.9 - which I thought was nuts as Ballindine is only about 5 miles away:rolleyes:

And the pumps are accurate. I live near there.

Here's a picture of the faulty (?) pump in Claregalway.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Bozacke

Hi Goatman,,
    Well there's only one Petrol station in Claregalway, so this makes it easy. Although I drive by it everyday, I never stop there unless I'm desperate since they are always several cents per litre more than almost everywhere else. Now after reading your story I'll certainly never go there. I always stop at 10L whenever I'm pumping petrol for a reality check and I've been doing it for years and I've never seen any mismatch, so I suspect this pump wasn't wrong by accident, if it was an accident there would be a fifty/fifty chance you'd be under charged, but that never happens.

I hope you have reported this to the authorities, I'm sure most people don't do a pump calibration, so who knows how long they've been overcharging and this should be reported.

Thanks for posting and the photo! Maybe this will make more people vigilant at the pumps.

Bozacke wrote: »
    Hi Goatman,,
    Well there's only one Petrol station in Claregalway, so this makes it easy. Although I drive by it everyday, I never stop there unless I'm desperate since they are always several cents per litre more than almost everywhere else. Now after reading your story I'll certainly never go there. I always stop at 10L whenever I'm pumping petrol for a reality check and I've been doing it for years and I've never seen any mismatch, so I suspect this pump wasn't wrong by accident, if it was an accident there would be a fifty/fifty chance you'd be under charged, but that never happens.

I hope you have reported this to the authorities, I'm sure most people don't do a pump calibration, so who knows how long they've been overcharging and this should be reported.

Thanks for posting and the photo! Maybe this will make more people vigilant at the pumps.

Thanks for this.
    Yes I did report it to the National Consumer Agency, and they were very interested. And as I said in an earlier post, I argued with the guy at the pumps and only paid what it should have been not what the pump said.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Unleaded now 164.9 at Topaz(plural) in town

Ballindine (yes I know it's in Mayo) as of yesterday still 157.9

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭celty

Ballindine (yes I know it's in Mayo) as of yesterday still 157.9

Seven cents per litre is a huge mark-up vs previous post. We are definitely getting ripped off in Galway!

celty wrote: »
    Seven cents per litre is a huge mark-up vs previous post. We are definitely getting ripped off in Galway!

Yes, I'm in Galway quite often and I always try not to buy petrol there.
    I just hadn't judged it right when I had to buy some in Claregalway.

It's still the same price in Ballindine today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

I wont use any topaz garages in galway - pure robbery from garages that have food counters, off licenses, car washes etc etc but yet charge 164.9. They are making enough without hammering it onto the pumps too, while 200m away another petrol station (maxol) is 3c cheaper and without any of the extras.
    Maxol sell E5 (i think thats what its called anyhow) petrol that DOES make a difference in my car on terms of km's/litre/euro so im happy to keep going there.

Ballindine is great for cheaper fuel.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

barryd09 wrote: »
    I wont use any topaz garages in galway - pure robbery from garages that have food counters, off licenses, car washes etc etc but yet charge 164.9. They are making enough without hammering it onto the pumps too, while 200m away another petrol station (maxol) is 3c cheaper and without any of the extras.
    Maxol sell E5 (i think thats what its called anyhow) petrol that DOES make a difference in my car on terms of km's/litre/euro so im happy to keep going there.

Ballindine is great for cheaper fuel.
    158 diesel, 161 petrol in (what's recently become) Topaz Silver Strand. Not much variation in prices closer into town, draw from that what you will.

It's been a while since Maxol have sold E5, it's all straight unleaded now. Which is a crying shame because turbocharged petrol cars loved it, it was better for the environment and the bioethanol came from a dairy plant in Ireland so balance of trade and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

So, the Competition Aithority has investigated price fixing in Galway and found no evidence. The AA remain suspicious.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24681-petrol-price-fixing-galway-ruled-out

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

So, the Competition Aithority has investigated price fixing in Galway and found no evidence. The AA remain suspicious.

http://www.galwaynews.ie/24681-petrol-price-fixing-galway-ruled-out
    Lessons were learnt from the heating oil price fixing scandal. In the words of noted entrepreneur Stringer Bell, is you taking notes on a criminal ****ing conspiracy?

Robbo wrote: »
    158 diesel, 161 petrol in (what's recently become) Topaz Silver Strand. Not much variation in prices closer into town, draw from that what you will.

It's been a while since Maxol have sold E5, it's all straight unleaded now. Which is a crying shame because turbocharged petrol cars loved it, it was better for the environment and the bioethanol came from a dairy plant in Ireland so balance of trade and all that.

So whats marked as E5 on the pumps isnt actually E5 fuel then?
    How do you know it isnt?
    How do i explain the better value/more KM's out of filling up there?

barryd09 wrote: »
    So whats marked as E5 on the pumps isnt actually E5 fuel then?
    How do you know it isnt?
    How do i explain the better value/more KM's out of filling up there?
    Apologies, looked it up there. They discontinued the E85 but kept on the E5. I was under the impression that both were gone.

Thought it'd be a bit cheeky to leave pumps marked E5 if they werent alright.
    Still, Im happy with Maxol in Westside, cant remember using the one in salthill - same E5 petrol & same price as Westside?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

161.9 at both stations beside the Spinnaker in Knocknacarra.

Advertisement