Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is CTYI? *new*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

1500? Je-sus. Was like.. 800 whenever I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Rohypnol wrote: »
    Sounds to me like a money racket for people with no friends. Would I be right or am I just prejudiced because of the fact that it's all nerds and there's a 50 quid fee to apply?
    Don't feed the troll, that's why there's a report button...

Edit: Also, he's talking about the €50 fee to apply for the talent search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Rohypnol

That's fair enough. Everybody who has posted in this thread sounds far too random though. It's like the Peace Park in Cork on any weekend with all the moshers running around going "EEEEEE SQUIRRELS HUG MEEEE" and thinking they're all original and cool.

I guess at least they don't hate their parents and are somewhat academically accomplished after they leave.
    Raphael wrote: »
    Don't feed the troll, that's why there's a report button...
    Just to add that:
    a) I'm female so less of this "he" business
    b) I'm not trolling. This thread is full of people who are self-professedly nerds and/or naturally smart. There also IS a high price on it. So I said were said quite justifiably.

• Advertisement

He is the gender neutral pronoun in the english language, a holdover from past times when everyone knew that men were superior.

Also, your post may not have been intended as trolling, but it certainly looked like it.

b) I'm not trolling. This thread is full of people who are self-professedly nerds and/or naturally smart. There also IS a high price on it. So I said were said quite justifiably.
    Calling the posters on this board "people with no friends" is quite a provocative and troll-like thing to say, I might point out.

Edit: Oy Raphael less of that he business. -.- It's just significantly more likely that someone online is male than female...

Calling the posters on this board "people with no friends" is quite a provocative and troll-like thing to say, I might point out.

Edit: Oy Raphael less of that he business. -.- It's just significantly more likely that someone online is male than female...
    It's nothing to do with stats, PFM, he is genuinely the acceptable pronoun in a gender-neutral or unknown situation, tis an artifact of the chauvinistic past. Ask any linguist or english student.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Rohypnol

eVeNtInE wrote: »

All I have to say to that is:
    Elvish wrote: »
    CTYI is a nerd camp in a way. Let me explain, if the common meaning of nerd is used: "intelligent person, no friends etc." then CTYI is a camp for intelligent people with no friends.
    Teleute wrote: »
    I found friends who understood me. For the first time in my life, I wasn't just that weird girl in the corner... People asked me for advice. I was called Miss Smiley - and I don't think most of the people in my year had ever SEEN me smile!
    *See Pg. 1.

Jesus, for smart people you really are dumb. I genuinely wasn't trolling, just making the point that it sounds like a waste of money. As well as that, I was saying what I said based on supposed facts made by initial posters in here. It wasn't a personal attack at those who attend this.

• Advertisement

Raphael - I was more going at the bit where you said "knew men were superior" :p

Rohypnol - Yes, of course, no personal attacks on the posters. Just calling us dumb. In the same paragraph. Well done.
    As far as the waste of money point goes - well, you haven't been there, so it would be extremely difficult for you to quantify just how much the experience is worth. It's certainly a fact that it's very expensive (and getting moreso as it appears), but if you asked anyone who had gone was it worth it, the majority would say yes.

Well they did. Never said I agreed with them =)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 buddygit

My Daughter went to CTYI from 1st year to 5th year. She loved every minute and went back last year as an RA. Yep she is a confessed nerd and proud of it:P Unfortunately due to the cutbacks, the fees are going to double as they have lost their grant so expect it to be over €3,000 next summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

In fact they didn't double, got the form bout a week ago. Still 1500 for Res

what ever it costs it was certainly worth it in our case. Don't forget the little ones who go on saturdays. They really benefit from the courses as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 spaghettisponge

whats a nerd tho?

whats a nerd tho?
    Let's see if I can answer this. Don't forget I am an old, old woman and what I know about CYYI is through my daughter who went there from 04-07 was an RA in 08 and is currently a TA on Saturdays. A Nerd is a wonderful, intellegent, insightful person who is sometimes bullied or made feel abnormal in a school environment. Nevertheless,Nerds. Geeks or what ever label you choose to give them are amazing. My daughter and her friends ( mostly ex CTYI'ers) are wonderful friends. Happy to be with others of like mind and as she did not have that at primary or second level schools, I am eternally grateful for CTYI. :D

All I have to say to that is:
    *See Pg. 1.

Jesus, for smart people you really are dumb. I genuinely wasn't trolling, just making the point that it sounds like a waste of money. As well as that, I was saying what I said based on supposed facts made by initial posters in here. It wasn't a personal attack at those who attend this.

Obviously by reading your inflamatory post, you never attended, or never sat the entrance test, or sat the test and did not get in. I am so very sorry that you weren't good enough.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

CTYI was, quite possibly, the best time of my life. (BIOMED 2008!)

CTYI was the one place where I was able to be myself, not have to change my accent, clothes, dumb myself down or be a fake of myself. I met amazing people, who I still stay in touch with, loved my RA to bits, played tin whistle with my nose (yes, I'm THAT girl). I loved it, and I can't wait until I go again this year (although, I didn't get session 1 this year...which sucks.)

CYI is worth every cent, because it was the one educational place that I haven't been bullied.

I LOST THE GAME!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Deirdre93

I'm going to session 1 this year to do biomed. Its my first time and I dont know anyone else who has gone previously or who will be going this year. I'm horribly nervous to be honest and I'm one of those people who worry alot. Any advice from anyone who has gone before would really be great!?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 doyler32

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    CTYI was, quite possibly, the best time of my life. (BIOMED 2008!)

CTYI was the one place where I was able to be myself, not have to change my accent, clothes, dumb myself down or be a fake of myself. I met amazing people, who I still stay in touch with, loved my RA to bits, played tin whistle with my nose (yes, I'm THAT girl). I loved it, and I can't wait until I go again this year (although, I didn't get session 1 this year...which sucks.)

CYI is worth every cent, because it was the one educational place that I haven't been bullied.

I LOST THE GAME!
    God thats not still going on is it? I was nevermore 05 and it was long established at that stage...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Deirdre93 wrote: »
    I'm going to session 1 this year to do biomed. Its my first time and I dont know anyone else who has gone previously or who will be going this year. I'm horribly nervous to be honest and I'm one of those people who worry alot. Any advice from anyone who has gone before would really be great!?:)

I only just saw your post now, so my reply comes a little too late as you are already there! How did you find it? I was terribly nervous before going, I felt like pulling out at the last minute because I thought it was going to be full of stereotypical dorks... Instead I found a wonderful bunch of people who shared my humour and interests. Hope you enjoyed yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Glee_GG

i know a friend of mine in a different school went to CTYI this year but i was wondering how does a person actually get into the courses?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Glee_GG wrote: »
    i know a friend of mine in a different school went to CTYI this year but i was wondering how does a person actually get into the courses?

You qualify for CTYI by sitting tests called the SATs that are usually in January. They test your maths and verbal skills, and if you get above a certain score for your age bracket you are eligible for the courses. You will then get a brochure sent to you around March that details all of the courses, with a form to apply.

There are a number of different ways that you can be recommended for the SATs - it can be a referral from a teacher, getting a high score in other types of aptitude tests, or even doing well in competitions like the Young Scientist Exhibition.

Are you interested in applying for CTYI? Have a look at the website to get an idea of what it's like. You can ask questions here but honestly the forum isn't used much anymore, feel free to PM me but bear in mind that the last time I was there was in 2003!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

remember doing this when i was still in primary school...

overall it was a funish experience, even if me and my mate weren't really accepted into the group for some reason....seemed like alot of snobbery BS and we were small town culchies who just did it for the craic :pac:

wouldn't advise anyone on this.

i remember convincing the organisers to let us play a game of football and scoring about 19 goals :p

ah cue the come backs

• Registered Users Posts: 39 im stuck! cnt tink of gud name

you forget CAT dat runs on d second session for 2 weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SirenOfChaos

Hey everyone(: I'm going for the CTYI this summer(CANT WAIT) but I was just wondering if anyone of you guys had exams that overlapped with the CTYI session? How did you guys overcome that obstacle? @_@ Just wondering.... Oh oh and did anyone here NOT get their first choice??

• Registered Users Posts: 46 thejetset

Hey everyone(: I'm going for the CTYI this summer(CANT WAIT) but I was just wondering if anyone of you guys had exams that overlapped with the CTYI session? How did you guys overcome that obstacle? @_@ Just wondering.... Oh oh and did anyone here NOT get their first choice??

Hello. I have been to CTYI for 5 years, and whilst I haven't myself I've met people whose exams have overlapped with CTYI, they just went to CTYI late after they finished the exams. Also, I only got my 1st choice 2 years out of 5.... its not a big deal if you don't, just put down things that you also love as alternatives. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 SirenOfChaos

thejetset wrote: »
    Hello. I have been to CTYI for 5 years, and whilst I haven't myself I've met people whose exams have overlapped with CTYI, they just went to CTYI late after they finished the exams. Also, I only got my 1st choice 2 years out of 5.... its not a big deal if you don't, just put down things that you also love as alternatives. :)

Hmmmmm... So did they take their exams in a school in Dublin on the day itself? So for example if the course started on the 19th but they had an exam on the 22nd, they came as per usual on the 19th but went somewhere on the 22nd to do their exam? Or they DIDNT come on the 19th but instead came on the 23rd after their exam date? Cause see I live in Cork, so it wouldnt make sense to fly all the way from Dublin just for an exam O_O THANKS ALOT :D:):D I actually emailed the ctyi people a week ago, but I havent gotten any reply! Maybe they're still celebrating St Pats xD

Advertisement