Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

(free) Essential sortware for the PC user

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭fragile

Winters wrote:
    Ultramon - UltraMon gives extra features for running more then one monitor that windows doesn't give like extra taskbars and buttons etc.

Free? use of that tool requires you to purchase a license :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You can install it and run it without the need. I had it installed on my PC at one of my old job's no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Winters wrote:
    You can install it and run it without the need. I had it installed on my PC at one of my old job's no problem.
    Ultramon wrote:
    Trial version limitations: the trial period is limited to 30 days.

• Single license US$ 39.95

Speaks for itself really... Not FREE!

I agree that it's a useful app - I use it in work - but the thread is about freeware apps - not shareware.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

NoIP - Converts your non-static IP into a DNS, eg: you.mydns.com
    Gmail Notifier - So you know if you have mail in your gmail account.

Also, I've compiled a CD of stuff (freeware and shareware) that I take with me if I'm fixing somebody's PC. There's also a batch file that installs everything for me (for all those rebuilds) (Currently learning how to ghost, it'll do 'til then)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Macros42 wrote:
    Speaks for itself really... Not FREE!

I agree that it's a useful app - I use it in work - but the thread is about freeware apps - not shareware.

I'm sorry. I thought it was. I had it installed for ages in work and it never limited me to 30 days. Its worth getting though for anyone using more then one monitor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭PaddyofNine

Stiiiiiiiiiicky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Glad I came across this thread. Was looking to see if anyone could recommend open office and then this pops up in the search. An absolute goldmine of info. Sticky it asap.

alleepally wrote:
    An absolute goldmine of info. Sticky it asap.

We wish! :mad:

Is the a bloody mod in sight who'll sticky this thread?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Great Thread, I had been meaning to do something like this for myself/friends/clients and have all the info on one page with descriptions etc. I'm working on a smaller one with the bare essentials, just better descriptions so newbies get the full picture

Why don't we get a page together on the Boards Wiki, and everyone can build it onto a great resource?

Any takers?

• Advertisement

Hmmm just linked to this thread on the Open Source forum so while I was at I thought I might re-iterate the multiple requests to have this thread stickified...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I'd like the mods to copy / paste the two main posts that I did, sticky them, then lock it so that the thread doesn't go to crap like other stickies on this forum. People can then PM requested additions. Or have a "requested additions" thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

This still isnt stickied then ????
    Why not Mods?

In fairness some people have spend a lot of time adding lists of program to this thread, look at khannies posts (to long to fit in just one post!!!)!!!!!

Jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I REALLY don't know why this hasn't been stickied yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

:D MUSIC MAKING:

Hammerhead :) / ts404
    http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/apps.shtml
    Hammerhead free computer drum machine which lets you create your own custom soundbanks.
    ts404 - free software synthesizer which is easy to use and sounds brill.

Hotstepper
    http://www.threechords.com/hammerhead/other_drumboxes.shtml
    Free brilliant music sequencer with built in drum machine. Excellent for dance or backing tracks.

KVR
    lots of free VST plugins for music sequencers.
    www.kvraudio.com

:eek: GAME MAKING:

Gamemaker
    http://www.cs.uu.nl/people/markov/gmaker/index.html
    Free user-friendly game making software with a cult following [the slightly cutdown free version is fully functionable]
    You can make platform and puzzle games or use the software to make interactive GUIs for portfolios or slideshows etc.. all can be saved as a freestanding exe file.

:cool: koooool

I posted a request for a sticky on the feedback forum - here. I don't think Khannie's idea is workable for a new thread to be started and stickied unless one of us starts it. How long would it take to get a new piece of software added to a new thread?

Any - give your voice to the admins on that request thread :)

My idea would be to PM a mod with the entire post, so that he / she need only copy / paste it into the locked thread.

I just don't want to see it turn into another "read this before anything else (even though it's 20 pages long)" thread. There's some really useful information in this thread. I'd hate to see it lost to 20 pages of discussion (ironically, like this).

Khannie wrote:
    My idea would be to PM a mod with the entire post, so that he / she need only copy / paste it into the locked thread.

I just don't want to see it turn into another "read this before anything else (even though it's 20 pages long)" thread. There's some really useful information in this thread. I'd hate to see it lost to 20 pages of discussion (ironically, like this).

I agree that that would be best alright. My only concern is the difficulty of adding new software to the list. One solution would be for youor another regular to create the post and still be able to edit it even when it's locked. Don't know if that's possible though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Stiiiiicky Meeeeee.

• Advertisement

Ok, just been made a mod. Gonna sticky the relevant info from this post in a /locked/ sticky thread. If you have any suggested additions, please either PM me or add them to the end of this thread and I'll edit the locked thread. :)

I'm open to other suggestions on this one, I just don't want the important stuff getting lost.

I'm also going to clean up the other sticky's. I'm also open to suggestion on them.

macros42 wrote:
    Can you now sort them alphabetically?
    Khannie wrote:
    Yours for a mere two bazillion euro

That'll be two bazillion euro please :D

(I love perl)

I hear ya, but the vast majority of users here are windows users (I'm lin and win), and there is a similar thread in the unix forum. I think it's a useful enough thread to be stickied at this (higher) level of visibility.

Khannie wrote:
    That'll be two bazillion euro please :D

(I love perl)

How about at pint at the next Unreal Beers? :D

Congrats Sir Moderator :)

Macros42 wrote:
    How about at pint at the next Unreal Beers? :D

Since that's only a few days away, I accept ;)

Thanks for the congrats.

Congrats to khannie for being promoted :D

And about time we see the essential software thread stickied.

I hope this moderator business isnt going to take you away from playing ut :eek:

Jozi

Edit: nice job on the sticky, sorted alphabetically and all :eek:

Advertisement