Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

To neuter or not???

• 13-01-2009 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a bit of help!! Have a 10month old Lemon Basset Hound, who although is great fun and an absolute pet is beginning to get on our nerves.
    We got him at aboout 4months and he was lively to begin with, we were told he would calm down....but we are still waiting. He barks when we get up to go to the toilet during the night....we live with my boyfriends brother who gets up about an hour before us in the morning....from the moment he's up the dark barks until we go down to him....

We heard that neutering male dogs possibly calms them down? Im sceptical about just taking our vets advice as he possibily may just encourage it to make a sale ;) It took my boyfriend along time to entertain the issue as he's slow to "do that to the poor fella".....we need to do something as we love the little guy at the moment and want to continue to do so....we're afraid if we dont do anything we may start to not like him!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Hi LBD

There is a similar thread here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055460122 about the pro's and cons, with some very helpful advice from a vet nurse.

At 10 months, he's around the adolescent stage.
    I don't know how much exercise he gets, but a good run in the evenings would tire him out so hopefully he would sleep better at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Most people here will tell you to neuter, if you don't intend to breed from the dog, it's kinder. Intact males will try anything to escape for a female in heat and can get very frustrated. Not to mention the possibility of his escaping and getting at a bitch. Leading to an unwanted litter. I think it's generally accepted that the responsible and kinder thing to do it neuter. TBH if you suspect your vet is just trying to make a sale, you might want to look at changing to a vet you feel you can trust.

Neutering will calm him down,but wont solve all of your problems :) Make sure he has enough exercise and mental stimulation then you can get to work with training him not to bark and to be calm when you tell him.

Did you ever try crate him, I'm probably annoying everyone by saying this all the time but it's fantastic.

Start by feeding him in the crate, leave his water in the crate too so he gets used to going in.

After a few days of eating in it when it is open, close it behind him when he eats, then immediately let him out.

Eventually, start leaving him in for a few mins and then a few mins longer. Important thing is, when he is in the crate he is "invisible" dont speak to him, correct him or allow guests to speak to him. Dont let him see you looking at him either.

Sounds silly, but if he you will totally ignore him when he is in the crate, he will eventually stop barking when he's in it unless he needs the toilet.

The crate is also brill when you go visiting. Just dont overdo it, a few hours at night (6-7 hours at the start) and never ever use it for punishment, it should become his little den that he likes and feels safe in.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

Thanks for the suggestions :)
    We generally walk him at least once a day...he's only got little legs so it does the trick on tiring him out but unfortunately whens he's left alone the barking starts and its annoying for everyone!!! Its heart breaking too because he seems so sad :(

We got a puppy trainer in to help us and she thought us how to train him to sit and stay and be obedient which he's very good at its just the barking and whining....I was told its possibly seperation anxiety but im not sure how he's got to this point as we've never been overly smoothering. I just want to do the best thing for him and us so we're all happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 clairem

Hi,
    We had a similar problem with our pug when he was about the same age so I feel your pain! We had him neutered and it helped a bit but he was still a terrible barker. He'd bark at people on the street, bark for our attention, and even bark at animals on the TV! One day we were at the vet and barked for the whole time we were there (so embarrassing!) so the vet referred us to a behaviourist. The behaviourist assessed him and concluded that he was barking for attention and also enjoyment. (Nothing to do with separation anxiety or anything). Apparently he just loves the sound of his own bark! She gave us a lot of great advice on how to cut down on the barking.
    I think the best advice she gave us was to up his exercise. A tired dog is a well behaved dog! We had been walking him twice a day (which we thought was more than enough for a pug!) but she told us to up that to three walks. She also told us to go out and buy some food dispensing toys - we got a few different shaped kongs and a buster cube from the pet shop. We started to put a good portion of his daily food into the toys so he had to work to get it out. This is great exercise for dogs as it tires them out mentally as well as physically and can work really well for dogs with separation anxiety as it gives them something to keep them occupied while you're out.
    We were also told to put another portion of his kibble aside every day and to hand it out to him for doing obedience tricks (like sit, down, roll-over etc) a few times each day. This is also great for tiring a dog out mentally and most dogs really love doing it especially if you give them loads of praise.
    I think you might be unintentionally rewarding your dog for barking as well (that's what we were doing anyway!) by going down and letting him out each time he barks. If you let him out each time he barks at you he's probably learning that barking gets results. I know it's really hard but if you ignore him EVERY TIME and never open the door till he stops barking he should learn quickly enough that barking doesn't get him what he wants.
    Also, If he barks when you are in the room you should turn your back on him and completely ignore him until he stops barking, don't tell him 'no' or anything like that as even by correcting him you could be rewarding his barks with your attention. (Sometimes even negative attention can be rewarding for an attention seeking dog!)
    I really hope you get your problem sorted as I know how annoying and frustrating it can be! Good luck:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭LBD

Thanks Claire...sounds similar alright.
    I know we have ourselves to blame mostly with going down to him but it got the stage where he would bark consistently for an hour and a half without stopping so we just needed a break :) Luckily however he just barks when he's alone not in public or when we're with him....that vet visit sounded like an ordeal!!!

Our family love he, my dad says he's like donkey from Shrek, he has real personality so when we tell them the problem they don't believe us!!!
    Wait till they get him for a weekend!!!!
    Thanks for the help, hope he grows out of it alright :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement