Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Small Business Server 2011 - Premium Add On

• 18-04-2013 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

I am looking to put in a new small business server and have a few queries.

I have 10 users with a PC each. Also a couple of network printers. Will I be ok with 10 device cals or 10 user cals?

Also in a few months I will be installing a new accounts package which the supplier tells me needs terminal services.

The SBS 2011 Standard with Exchange built in would be perfect if it weren't for the fact it doesn't support terminal services. There is the Premium addon which is confusing me a bit. From what I've read you buy the SBS 2011 premium addon which gives you a server 2008 license to run terminal services on another server. Can I not just buy the premium addon and run terminal services on the one SBS box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

10 user cals would be fine for you. SBS comes with 5 so you should just need an additional 5.

You do not want to enable terminal services (now called remote desktop services) on your sbs server. By doing so your users are logging onto it when running the accounts software and it is a recipe for disaster. Easiest thing to do is to use Hyper-V to virtualize and run two virtual machines on your one server. SBS 2011 as one and your Remote Desktop Services server on the other. You will need the premium add on to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭amallon

Out of interest why would it be a disaster? Too much of a drain on resources?

I've done very little with hyper-v, how much of a learning curve would it be? I've been looking a Dell's range of servers. If you buy SBS server with the premium addon would it come with Hyper v installed and the two virtual OS's ready to rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

Users connecting to a remote desktop services server are in effect logging on to the server as if it is a pc. Although you can lock what users can do considerably using group policy it would be considered bad practice the risk would be there that a user could cause a problem to your sbs server. A problem with the sbs server could potentially mean noone able to log in, no access to files, no email. I think Microsoft may even force you to buy the premium pack to enable remote desktop services at all to discourage it.

Advertisement