Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

loch crew

Options
  • 02-05-2014 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭

Hi can anyone confirm if loch crew house /gardens and more importantly cairns are open on this coming bank holiday monday.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

I can't post a link to Loughcrew Gardens(new boardsies with less than 50 posts can't do so!) but give them a bell on this number:(049) 8541356.I'd be very surprised if they weren't open for business this bank holiday Monday.
    You can visit all of the cairns free of charge(so yes,they're all open so to speak).Carnbane East(with Cairn T) is the hill most will visit.Carbane West is on private land and the farmers can get quite scorpy with those traipsing about on it.There's a small car park at the foot of Carnbane East,but I'd get there early because I'm sure it'll be jammers later on!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Just a quick question,

How much is really known about Loughcrewe?

Every-thing I found so far seems to be a repeat of the previous websites information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Just a quick question,

How much is really known about Loughcrewe?

Every-thing I found so far seems to be a repeat of the previous websites information.

Pretty much as you say cf..hasnt been any modern excavations ..according to the guide I picked up on site Joseph Rafferty from the national museum undertok the first offocial excavation in 1943..and Elizabeth Shee Twohig did extensive documentation of the carvings n the 70s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Cianmcliam

There are guides on Carnbane East now for the summer so Lougcrew Gardens do not give out the key, you can just go straight up to the cairns. I was there last weekend and there was a steady stream of visitors meaning we actually got less time inside than at Newgrange! A couple of years ago I spent many a weekend up there and only saw a handful of people.

The style of carving suggests they could be contemporary with the first passage tombs in the Boyne Valley, or even earlier. Most of the finds described by Conwell following his early excavations in the 1800's are typical Neolithic passage grave goods.

Cairn H was excavated in the 1940's and many animal bones with Iron Age carvings on them made with metal tools were found. Because some seemed to come from pre-tomb levels Rafferty suggested a possible Iron Age date for this tomb. It is a bit of an odd one as the kerb is mostly dry wall unlike the other cairns which have boulders and slabs. It is possible the cairn was rebuilt and re-used in the Iron Age. I heard one speaker at the Tara conference in UCD a few years ago suggest that it was actually built in the Iron Age, the passage tomb cemetery having an unusually long tradition from the Neolithic on.

Advertisement