Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flint Scraper? Or Natural

Options
  • 01-05-2014 12:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

I was visiting Guildford in England and found this "1" on the footpath. On one of the roads on the hill, looked as if it had worked its way down from a raised garden and fallen onto the footpath. Looked a bit "worked" so I took it with me.

Also the second one, I picked up at the weekend at Ballycastle beach,close to Whitepark Bay. I though it might have been worked, but photos look a bit more natural?

Photos are labelled "1" and "2".

Any comments? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

"2"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

1 is definitely worked but thats as much as I can say as I have a limited expertise in typology. It very well might be a scraper but its shape is a little strange to lock it down as one. Someone with a stronger background in Meso would have to weigh in here.

2 is less clear as its heavily water rolled. The third picture might show some working but its hard to be sure without examining it.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

I'm rather dubious about the first one, I must say. I've seen stone artefacts from Ireland, UK, China and Australia, and it doesn't look deliberately humanly-worked to me, not by ancients anyway. The second is a beach pebble, broken and weathered.

Aelfric wrote: »
    I'm rather dubious about the first one, I must say. I've seen stone artefacts from Ireland, UK, China and Australia, and it doesn't look deliberately humanly-worked to me, not by ancients anyway. The second is a beach pebble, broken and weathered.

Thanks Aelfric and Dr Gonzo.

Yeah, I though that "1" might have had a few nibbles and was then chucked.

The second oddly enough "looks" like an exact copy (shape wise) of a flint scraper that I sent to and was confirmed as worked by the Dublin Museum.

Both long shots but didn't want to chuck them until I got a few opinions.

My eye will get a wee bit keener now, thanks!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Kettleson wrote: »
    Thanks Aelfric and Dr Gonzo.

Yeah, I though that "1" might have had a few nibbles and was then chucked.

The second oddly enough "looks" like an exact copy (shape wise) of a flint scraper that I sent to and was confirmed as worked by the Dublin Museum.

Both long shots but didn't want to chuck them until I got a few opinions.

My eye will get a wee bit keener now, thanks!!

"My eye will get a wee bit keener now...." Don't go there my friend,it becomes an obsession!Granted,not the worst kind,but I used to enjoy my walks through the fields close to my home,until I started finding lithics myself,and now I've become oblivious to all else about me as I scour the plough soil beneath my feet.

• Advertisement

Bonedigger wrote: »
    "My eye will get a wee bit keener now...." Don't go there my friend,it becomes an obsession!Granted,not the worst kind,but I used to enjoy my walks through the fields close to my home,until I started finding lithics myself,and now I've become oblivious to all else about me as I scour the plough soil beneath my feet.

I heed the warning my friend!....er......excuse me for a sec.....what's that over 'der!? .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

Kettleson wrote: »
    I heed the warning my friend!....er......excuse me for a sec.....what's that over 'der!? .....

"....what's that over 'der!..." No,leave it I tell you!

Advertisement