Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Quinn refusing to quote me on high powered cars until I'm 30

• 05-08-2011 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

Having not looked for insurance for anything other than my 1.6 Primera for a couple of years, was very surprised when I rang Quinn to find out that they wouldn't even quote me on a 330Ci until I'm 30. Does this seem a tad excessive? (I'm 25) We're not even talking an M3 here.

I know there's somewhere I can get insurance from out there, but at the same time I thought Quinn used to be good at insuring the younger driver. Do they just not want to touch (relatively) high performance cars these days?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

they have to quote you, you just dont have to like the quote..

isnt the trick to ring them up and tell them its bought, whats the costs of insurance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I think they legally have to provide you with a quote. That's my understanding of it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What's the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

330CI?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Every insurance company has their own rules, and QD don't want to insure the OP on a BMW 330i until they're 30. I don't mean to sound smart, but I see nothing remarkable about that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Jagle wrote: »
    isnt the trick to ring them up and tell them its bought, whats the costs of insurance
    That sounds a bit risky, doesn't it? Why would they quote you a lower figure just because you have it bought? You might end up with a car you can't afford to insure, and have to ship it on at a loss.

That sounds a bit risky, doesn't it? Why would they quote you a lower figure just because you have it bought? You might end up with a car you can't afford to insure, and have to ship it on at a loss.

again i said the trick is to ring them up and tell them you bought it, now whats the quote for a year of insurance.. the car being in the driveway or not is only something you can prove

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

again i said the trick is to ring them up and tell them you bought it, now whats the quote for a year of insurance.. the car being in the driveway or not is only something you can prove
    Ah, of course, my bad. But why would they quote a lower figure than if you tell them you are considering buying the car?

Ah, of course, my bad. But why would they quote a lower figure than if you tell them you are considering buying the car?

read again, i never mentioned a lower figure, the OP was refused a quote, which is illegal, but they can quote you a made up figure to get rid of you.

but if you tell your insurer that youve just bought a new car they have to quote you, it will probably be cheaper, as its not a mad number to get rid of you, its what you have to pay for the annual insurance..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Heya - My brother works for Quinn. I asked him there - He said that if you have 3 refusals from insurance companies, then you are legally entitled to a quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Quinn once refused me insurance on a high powered car.
    So I told them to put me through to the cancellation line as I wanted to cancel my policy straight away.

I got put through to a supervisor who could offer me a quote :rolleyes:

Risky...but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

SV wrote: »
    Quinn once refused me insurance on a high powered car.
    So I told them to put me through to the cancellation line as I wanted to cancel my policy straight away.

I got put through to a supervisor who could offer me a quote :rolleyes:

Risky...but it works.

The end result is the OP will surely get an absolutely ridiculous quote that he couldnt even contemplate buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭fitzgese

Anan1 wrote: »
    Every insurance company has their own rules, and QD don't want to insure the OP on a BMW 330i until they're 30. I don't mean to sound smart, but I see nothing remarkable about that.

Yeah this is more what I'm getting at, I'm pretty sure there is some insurance company out there that will quote me, my point was more has QD changed their target market in the past few years? When I was looking to get insurance first time, they were pretty much the only company who would give me a reasonable quote. I guess there's nothing really remarkable about it, a better question to ask would be is there any insurance company (besides XS direct) that caters for the younger driver looking to insure a higher performance car, that will quote online for these types of cars?

I will ring probably ring them all eventually, just want to cut down on the permutations of cars and companies as far as possible, or at least get a rough idea of what it would cost to insure certain cars without having to spend hours on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

I started driving two years ago and was advised to ring quinn for a quote. They gave me such a terrible quote that I shook with shock!!! Many phone calls later Axa came and saved the day!

A year later I got a letter in the post from Quinn, they had the quote I got from Axa a year earlier on the page, and asked me if I would like to insure my car for less than this. I mentally declined this offer, lol, because Axa has a no claims bonus scheme. I got a renewal quote from axa and my insurance for the second year was four hundred euro cheaper than the year before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Magic Beans

You can have the last laugh, when you are 30 Quinn won't exist any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I remember Quinn quoting me €7,500 for insurance on a 325 when I was 27. Eventually got a good quote from Eagle Star. Dont know whether they are still in the Irish market though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭needadvi

steve9859 wrote: »
    I remember Quinn quoting me €7,500 for insurance on a 325 when I was 27. Eventually got a good quote from Eagle Star. Dont know whether they are still in the Irish market though

YOUR JOKING???? NO WAY!!!!! THAT'S BEYOND UNREASONABLE FOR ANYONE OF ANY RISK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

Anan1 wrote: »

Equal Status Act. Also if I remember correctly the EU not sure which body and too lazy to look it up, found that cheaper quotes for women are illegal, i think there is a phase out period. I have heard of at least one person who took an insurance company to the Equalit Tribunal, the matter was settled.

Equal Status Act. Also if I remember correctly the EU not sure which body and too lazy to look it up, found that cheaper quotes for women are illegal, i think there is a phase out period. I have heard of at least one person who took an insurance company to the Equalit Tribunal, the matter was settled.

Does evidence of heightened risk not trump equality legislation. The issue if I recall with women getting cheaper quotes was that it wasnt backed up by evidence of them being lower risk. I dont think the same would apply for guys under 30 in sports cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

330ci is a great car, get it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

A while back they wouldn't quote me on a 1.8t 150bhp mk4 golf gti, but were happy to quote me on a 2.0 16v 150bhp mk3 golf gti. They pulled the 'high powered' card on me, though both cars have the same output...

I kinda had to keep my mouth shut as I did want a quote on the older one!
    It is rubbish, but as mentioned, Quinn can do what they want...

A while back they wouldn't quote me on a 1.8t 150bhp mk4 golf gti, but were happy to quote me on a 2.0 16v 150bhp mk3 golf gti. They pulled the 'high powered' card on me, though both cars have the same output...

I kinda had to keep my mouth shut as I did want a quote on the older one!
    It is rubbish, but as mentioned, Quinn can do what they want...

how did they pull the high powered card, both cars are the same power output, the "higher power" car has a smaller engine even..

You tell me:rolleyes:

Must be to do with the higher loadings on a mk4 or something... Thats what yer wan on the phone said anyway. A 1.8t gti is considered a high powered car.

You tell me:rolleyes:
    A 1.8t gti is considered a high powered car.

by who? come out of it, a 1.8 high powered. i thought high power would be 2.5-3l 300hp + thats what id call high powered

By Quinn -hence me posting here in this thread!

High powered is a subjective term, but I guess for insurance companies 150bhp is enough. That said Golf GTIs have been notoriously hard for younger drivers to insure for years...

For me anything over 180 would be high. Anything over what would be considered average for a family car is high(er) powered. But thats just me:D

By Quinn -hence me posting here in this thread!

High powered is a subjective term, but I guess for insurance companies 150bhp is enough. That said Golf GTIs have been notoriously hard for younger drivers to insure for years...

For me anything over 180 would be high. Anything over what would be considered average for a family car is high(er) powered. But thats just me:D

so we should only drive family hatchback/saloon cars..
    sure why would you want anything more?

i think insurance companies, like this government also need to be replaced with a less idiotic system

I know what ya mean, but I can understand their system to an extent. A young driver is more likely to have an accident, so keeping the younger drivers out of higher powered (more expensive) cars means that when an accident occurs the payout is less. An insurance company is a business after all, not a public service!

Someone now will tell me not all young drivers are a risk, but we cant all be judged on an individual basis...
    Its not fair, but what is?!?

I know what ya mean, but I can understand their system to an extent. A young driver is more likely to have an accident, so keeping the younger drivers out of higher powered (more expensive) cars means that when an accident occurs the payout is less. An insurance company is a business after all, not a public service!

Someone now will tell me not all young drivers are a risk, but we cant all be judged on an individual basis...
    Its not fair, but what is?!?

A young driver is more likely to have an accident. over who? by what %. whats classifies an accident?

Id be more inclined to believe an old person, or anyone from 55 up would be just as likely to cause an accident as a young male driver, they forgot rules of the road, cant react as quickly, its just BS, total PC BS that allows them to fleece peoples pockets.

My father, 61, had had more crashes, and more cars in the last 5 years when i started driving, the guy is a menace, never had to do a test, but is "safer" then me, Fúck Right Off

A young driver is more likely to have an accident. over who? by what %. whats classifies an accident?

Id be more inclined to believe an old person, or anyone from 55 up would be just as likely to cause an accident as a young male driver, they forgot rules of the road, cant react as quickly, its just BS, total PC BS that allows them to fleece peoples pockets.

My father, 61, had had more crashes, and more cars in the last 5 years when i started driving, the guy is a menace, never had to do a test, but is "safer" then me, Fúck Right Off

But the big payouts are when someone is killed or long term hospitalised, not just when there is a crash. Sure, old people might have more prangs, but if you have ever watched the news or read a paper you'll know that most of those who wrap their car around trees and kill their passengers are in their twenties

• Advertisement

steve9859 wrote: »
    But the big payouts are when someone is killed or long term hospitalised, not just when there is a crash. Sure, old people might have more prangs, but if you have ever watched the news or read a paper you'll know that most of those who wrap their car around trees and kill their passengers are in their twenties

Ah right so not knowing the rules of the road/ causing lots of small cashes is fine go right ahead drive on..

just dont kill anyone and costs us lots of money, sounds great.

Point is is that if black people AND I MEAN ALL BLACK PEOPLE were proven the worst drivers you wouldnt see their insurance go up would ya?

Its nonsense, we need to have a proper system that makes sense

Advertisement