Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The truth!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Cycle into work 20 mins

Decided to see what my 1RM is on the Deadlift:

Deadlift
    Warmup - 20x8, 50x5, 80x4
    Work - 100x2, 110x1, 120x1, 130x1, 140x1, 145 (FAIL), 145x1
    100x3x3

Seated DB Curls
    10x10, 12.5x10x2, x6

Cycle home from work 20 mins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Hey joker. I've being following your log and have a couple of questions if thats ok?

I see you're using a starting strength program. Is your goal to gain strength and mass (which seems to me what rippetoe is aiming to teach) or to gain lean mass and muscle?

If it is the former, then are you eating to gain bulk ?

Just interested, as I'm aiming to build lean muscle mass not bulk ( I play football) , and wondering where starting strength fits into that.

Thanks for your time and good luck

Hey joker - thanks for stopping by! :D

My aim is to gain functional strength alright, but not necessarily bulk. I'm not aiming to be able to power-lift 3x my bodyweight (although I would like to hit 2x, still a long way off!).

I've been training on and off in gyms for a few years, admittedly a lot of that has been cardio type stuff - punchbags/skipping - boxing type stuff, but over the last couple of years I was trying to focus more on becoming stronger, hence I got more into weight-lifting. I was playing football regularly, and wanted the strength to add to my game. I'm now 30, so my serious football days are kind of behind me I think, but back to the subject.

I was reading a bit on how to gain functional strength, and compound lifts seemed to be the way to go, rather than a lot of isolated stuff which I was doing and to be honest not seeing a whole lot of results with. So I came across the Starting Strength program and decided to give it a go - I'd been doing Squats / Deadlifts once a week anyway but thought I needed to go back to the start and learn the lifts properly. Like most people I'd say - I never got coached on how to perform compound type lifts properly, and you'll know if you've read the book that the level of detail that he goes into on each lift is great, especially for a beginner like myself.

I'm eating a little more than before, but not a huge amount more, because I don't care what anyone on the fitness forum says I don't think it's healthy for your body to drastically pile on weight over a short period of time in order to bulk up and build muscle. So I suppose I fall into the 2nd category there - I'd like to build lean muscle mass. This requires a bit more patience, as it's harder to do.

Anyway, back to watching football here - 1 all in the Czech Vs Portugal game. Hope I've answered your questions - I'm still a beginner so I mightn't be the best person to be asking for advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

joker77 wrote: »
    Hey joker - thanks for stopping by! :D

My aim is to gain functional strength alright, but not necessarily bulk. I'm not aiming to be able to power-lift 3x my bodyweight (although I would like to hit 2x, still a long way off!).

How does one powerlift 3x bw?? Like what lift are you talking about??

Oops - that may have been a mistaken exaggeration on my part. I thought that Elite powerlifters would be above 3x their bodyweight for the deadlift.

• Advertisement

No no, I was just asking what lift you were talking about. The term powerlifting doesn't refer to any one lift, it refers to the sport as a whole so I presumed you meant you wanted a 3x bw deadlift or squat or bench or else a 3x bw total thats to say when you combine your three lifts together you get 3x bw.

Sorry, bit of confusion, I'm not too up on powerlifting to be honest, but yea I did mean 3x bodyweight for a single lift.

After rereading my original post (the reply to pvt.joker), it was probably a bad example for what I was trying to get across. He asked:
    Is your goal to gain strength and mass (which seems to me what rippetoe is aiming to teach) or to gain lean mass and muscle?
    I was trying to explain that my goal was somewhere between the two. I want to build functional strength, but with lean muscle mass rather than 'bulking up'.

Sorry, bit of confusion, I'm not too up on powerlifting to be honest, but yea I did mean 3x bodyweight for a single lift.

After rereading my original post (the reply to pvt.joker), it was probably a bad example for what I was trying to get across. He asked:
    I was trying to explain that my goal was somewhere between the two. I want to build functional strength, but with lean muscle mass rather than 'bulking up'.

haha, that's cool! I was just wondering!!

A 3xbw deadlift would be awesome btw!!

Yea I kind of now realise it was a bit of a ridiculous example to use, I mean bulking up doesn't necessarily mean you are going to be able to perform a lift like that, and I realise you'd have to put in a serious amount of training to be able to do it. It's something I'm never going to have to worry about anyway, can't see myself getting anywhere near that - I weigh 82Kgs and my 1RM is currently 145Kgs! :o

nooooooo, you totally don't get what I was saying. I was talking only about the term 'powerlift', I just wanted to know what lift you were talking about!!

No such thing as a rediculous example, if that's what you want to do then you go for it, you don't need to explain it to anyone. I genuinely was only wondering whether you wanted to squat/deadlift or bench that much!!

• Advertisement

Cheers for the encouragement!

I understand now what you mean, in that powerlifting is a sport - I meant for each individual lift.

3x my bodyweight is not really on my radar at all though.

Tbh, when I started lifting I thought that a double bw deadlift was a million miles away, now I'm only a few weeks away from making it a reality, similarly, with my squat...I could barely imagine myself squatting bw, now I can do 5kg over it to the floor!!

I really do believe that if somebody wants something bad enough then they can do it, they just need to be prepared to put in the hours! I know it sounds really cheesy but I really believe it!

Don't write yourself off by saying you'll never be able to do it, just put it in the long-term goal box!!

Malteaser! wrote: »
    Don't write yourself off by saying you'll never be able to do it, just put it in the long-term goal box!!
    :D ha ha - I like it, ok you win - it goes in my long-term goal box!

btw congratulations on what you've achieved - keep up the good work!

:D ha ha - I like it, ok you win - it goes in my long-term goal box!

:)

Cycle into work 20 mins

Workout B

Squat

Warmup - 20x8, 40x6, 60x4
    Work - 92.5x4, x3x2 (all I could manage, effects of yesterdays DL 1RM prob)

Press
    Warmup - 20x8, 30x6
    Work - 37.5x4 (Left shoulder is just not right. Will rest it over the weekend and if no improvement I'll see the physio)

Power Clean

Warmup - 20x8, 40x6, 50x5
    Work - 55x5x5

Chins

x8x3, x6x2

Abs workout

Cycle into work 20 mins

Workout A

Squat

Warmup - 20x8, 50x5, 80x2
    Work - 92.5x5x4

Bench
    Warmup - 20x10, 40x5, 50x2
    Work - 60x6x3 (left shoulder still sore)

Deadlift
    Warmup - 20x8, 50x5, 90x3
    Work - 110x5x4

Abs Workout

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Put in some rotator cuff work into every session you do and some seated rows instead of chins on one of the days so you can sort the left shoulder out.

Also stretch the chest lots and do dumbbell bench press in a parallel grip (elbows will go in to ribs a bit) not normal elbows out position.

Thanks, I've been doing a little rotator cuff stuff, but I think I probably need to do more. I might rest the bench now for a couple of weeks and as you say, do those kind of exercises every session.

I came across this before - I'm going to start using these kind of exercises - have you any opinion?

Yes those are exactly what you should have in each program

Do one or two rotator exercises at the start of any weights session and include parallel bar dips into the program as a replacement for any type of bench press in every other session. Your bench will improve as will shoulder problems

• Advertisement

Again thanks for the tips.

Are you saying do parallel bar dips instead of bench on every other sessions - just till the shoulder improves?

Yes as they can be kinder to the shoulders and will encourage you to keep the elbows pulled in to the sides.

Barbell benching is quite over rated for chest imo and i find leads to more shoulder problems when its the only chest exercise done. Now close grip bench press is much better

Gym
    1 hour cardio + stretching - skipping / punch bags / ab workout

Football - 1 hour evening astro game

Cycle into work 20 mins

Power Clean

Warmup - 20x8, 40x5, 50x3
    Work - 55x3x2, 50x5x5

Dips
    x8, x10, x8x2, x6

L-Lateral Raise
    2.5x8x8

Side Raise
    2.5x10, x12x2

Chins
    x10, x8, x5, x6x2

Abs Workout

Decided to leave the Squats - feeling a little bit of DOMS today from the Squats / Deadlift on Monday and then Football last night. Plus I got a couple of knocks playing football so legs were just too drained today. Also going to rest the Bench / Press completely for a couple of weeks, and try to do those shoulder exercises to see if the rotator cuff improves. While doing the L-Lateral Raises though I noticed that my left shoulder doesn't really move the same way as my right. I think something is a little amiss with it, it's time to go see the physio.

Cycle into work 20 mins

Gym

1 hour cardio + stretching - skipping / punch bags

Yesterday:
    Cycle to/from work 20 mins

Today: Gym
    1 hour cardio + stretching - skipping / punch bags

Cycle into work 20 mins

Workout B

Power Clean

Warmup - 20x8, 40x5
    Work - 50x5x5

Squat
    Warmup - 20x8, 40x5, 60x4
    Work - 90x2, 80x2

Press
    Warmup - 20x8, 30x6
    Work - 35x4

Abs workout

Cycle into work 20 mins

Couldn't face the cycle into work today - the DOMS in my quads are fairly bad after the Squats on Monday then playing football on them yesterday. Drove into work instead.

Went round to the gym there, looked in my bag and I'd left half my gear behind. That's probably only the 2nd time it's happened to me in all my years training. Took it as a sign though, the DOMS being what they were, and just left it.

I feel a good bit better today physically though than I have in a couple of weeks, ok the DOMS are there but it's a good feeling in a way. I'm getting back into the routine after a fortnight's lapse, which feels good.

• Advertisement

Workout A

(although left Squats because of DOMS and substituted Dips for Bench on account of shoulder)

Deadlift
    Warmup - 20x8, 50x5, 90x5
    Work - 110x5x4

Dips

x10x2, x8, x6, x8

Side Lateral Raise
    2.5x12x5

Advertisement