Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on Office Suites

Options
  • 12-09-2014 8:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

We are getting 3 new computers into our office of 4.

We are upgrading from windows xp to windows 7 (stock management software not on 8.1 yet), and are looking to upgrade from Office 2003 to something newer.

I have a couple of questions on Office 365 that i didn't feel were answered anywhere in the official documentation i saw.

1 - Can i use office 365 offline? As in, in my terribly connected area where service drops are common, if the net goes down for the afternoon, can i still use this?

2 - Are the files you create stored locally? Can't get a clear answer on this. Are the excel sheets/word sheets on my hard-drive or are they not? I can find reams of info about cloud storage and seamless portability of data, etc etc, but is my file on my computer, yes/no....

I would go with Office 2013 instead, but the idea of it being locked to one computer spooks me, as if a pc fails and needs to be replaced, then i also need to rebuy office 2013. With Office 2003, the software life is the life of the installation disk, but with 2013, its the life of the pc (4-5 years max).

Cheers for any and all info,

CC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭notmymark

I´m sure as always you will have a load of anti-MS people on here suggesting to use Libre Office, Google Docs, etc. instead of Office but I won’t get into that...

To answer your questions:
    1. It depends on what package of Office 365 you get. Some of the business packages include downloadable Office 2013 (i.e. just like going into a shop and buying an Office CD) but others only include the on-line stuff. Obviously if you go for the online only option then if the net goes down then so too does the ability to use the service.

2. If you have Office installed on the computer then yes files can be stored locally and in the cloud. Basically you install a sync client called OneDrive for Business (just like Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive personal). Any files you put into OneDrive will be stored locally and synced to your cloud account and even to other users if you have sharing setup.
    Obviously with the installed version of Office if you don’t want to store stuff in the cloud that is no problem (store it on the machine, NAS, server, etc.) but with the online version it has to be in the cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Cheers for the info.

Went with Office 2013 in the end, as i cannot guarantee connectivity.

CC.

Advertisement