Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

JCB 8060 Main boom dropping

Options
  • 18-08-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    MY Jcb 8060 has a developed a problem where the main boom will start dropping slowly. It is only an intermittent problem so I don't think it is the ram seals. I spoke to fella today who said it could be the hydraulic filter that needs changing. I can't see how this would cause the problem though??

I was thinking it could be a seal gone in a valve or one of the servos somewhere?

Any ideas that could point me in the right direction would be a great help?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Madmechanic

muddle84 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    MY Jcb 8060 has a developed a problem where the main boom will start dropping slowly. It is only an intermittent problem so I don't think it is the ram seals. I spoke to fella today who said it could be the hydraulic filter that needs changing. I can't see how this would cause the problem though??

I was thinking it could be a seal gone in a valve or one of the servos somewhere?

Any ideas that could point me in the right direction would be a great help?

Hi there. Most of the time these problems are in the spool bank. I honestly cant see how a filter could have any odds on this problem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

Hi there. Most of the time these problems are in the spool bank. I honestly cant see how a filter could have any odds on this problem

Thank you. The filter didnt make sense to me either so thanks for that!! Is it usually a seal that goes in the spool bank? Or just start stripping the main boom part of it and see if theres anuyhing that shouldnt be there??

Thank you. The filter didnt make sense to me either so thanks for that!! Is it usually a seal that goes in the spool bank? Or just start stripping the main boom part of it and see if theres anuyhing that shouldnt be there??

Is the spool controlled by a cable or servo? If cable i would check that its not sticking slightly at times. Try simple stuff first because spool valves can be tricky. It could be a seal or a slightly worn spool

Is the spool controlled by a cable or servo? If cable i would check that its not sticking slightly at times. Try simple stuff first because spool valves can be tricky. It could be a seal or a slightly worn spool
    I think its servo but not 100% sure as i havent gone pulling at it yet. Could it be a seal in the servo? Or something sticking in the servo? I imagine the servo would be alot easier to strip than the spool bank?

I think its servo but not 100% sure as i havent gone pulling at it yet. Could it be a seal in the servo? Or something sticking in the servo? I imagine the servo would be alot easier to strip than the spool bank?

Possibly could be. Could even be a slightly sticking spool. It might be hard to find because its intermittant and your dealing with such fine tolerances

• Advertisement

Possibly could be. Could even be a slightly sticking spool. It might be hard to find because its intermittant and your dealing with such fine tolerances

It did seem to be getting progressively worse so that might make it easier to diagnose! Now to find time to go pulling at it!!! I think the spool bank is under the cab on it so that will probably have to come off!!

It did seem to be getting progressively worse so that might make it easier to diagnose! Now to find time to go pulling at it!!! I think the spool bank is under the cab on it so that will probably have to come off!!
    Best of luck!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Should be an access panel and there ought to be either cables or solonoids on the bank itself - usually it is a seal or o ring gone inside the spool itself. If it were mine, I'd pay someone to pull it apart, the possibilities of effing it up are large and wondrous.

Should be an access panel and there ought to be either cables or solonoids on the bank itself - usually it is a seal or o ring gone inside the spool itself. If it were mine, I'd pay someone to pull it apart, the possibilities of effing it up are large and wondrous.

Ah i dont rely on this machine for my living or anything like that so i have plenty of time and paying somebody to do it will be absolutely no fun whatsoever :) Thanks for the advice all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Ah i dont rely on this machine for my living or anything like that so i have plenty of time and paying somebody to do it will be absolutely no fun whatsoever :) Thanks for the advice all the same.

It's not the fun factor(I get that bit) it's having the right gear to measure the output pressures and leak back etc. You need gauges to set it properly and that gets dull rapidly.

• Advertisement

Ah now that is a fair point and something I overlooked. Is it impossible to remove the spool without effecting the current settings?

Hopefully it will be something to do with the cables or the servos and I won't need to go this far.

Just to close this off. I called a mate who is a plant fitter and the twonof us went at it. He quickly diagnosed it as a problem with the ram and he was right. We pulled the ram apart and there was a great big chunk gone out of the piston. The bit that broke off was luckily too big to go back through the hydraulic system. Replaced the ram and dumped the oil. New filters and back to normal again!

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Just to close this off. I called a mate who is a plant fitter and the twonof us went at it. He quickly diagnosed it as a problem with the ram and he was right. We pulled the ram apart and there was a great big chunk gone out of the piston. The bit that broke off was luckily too big to go back through the hydraulic system. Replaced the ram and dumped the oil. New filters and back to normal again!

Jaysus ya would think JCB would have fail-safes to prevent this occurrence for safety reasons..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Jaysus ya would think JCB would have fail-safes to prevent this occurrence for safety reasons..

A chunk out of the piston is a mechanical failure, what do you think should jcb do?

A chunk out of the piston is a mechanical failure, what do you think should jcb do?

Im not sure what could be done to stop it either. I have absolutely no idea what would have caused it either though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Suckler

Stick in a load of sensors then have lads complain about electronics and how its only a scam to get the dealers more cash fore resetting them. So as soon as a sensor flags something it'll be the first cable clipped.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Suckler wrote: »
    Stick in a load of sensors then have lads complain about electronics and how its only a scam to get the dealers more cash fore resetting them. So as soon as a sensor flags something it'll be the first cable clipped.

Haha very true!

Advertisement