Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mecha Anime Ideas

• 06-06-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi, I've only recently started getting into Anime. I've fully watched Cowboy Bebop, Attack on Titan and RWBY (if you want to count it). I wanted to watch a Mech anime next, with typical big robots kicking ass and awesome characters. Any ideas for one I'd be interested it? Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Evangelion

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Links234 wrote: »
    Evangelion

or if you wanted to watch something that wasn't terrible, RahXephon

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭PKdude

Well there's two options for me :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

another one is full metal panic but that's a mecha/comedy. it's been a loong time since i watched it but I quite liked it

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭PKdude

another one is full metal panic but that's a mecha/comedy. it's been a loong time since i watched it but I quite liked it

I'll add it to the list, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Not Mecha but Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

You ought to look into a Gundam series or two. Gundam Wing looks somewhat dated but it's rather good. Gundam Seed isn't terrible but it is angsty as hell. Gundam 00 is probably my favorite series to date but it has it's minor annoyances, things that make it feel like a saturday morning cartoon more than an anime.

The top of your list though: put Ghost in the Shell. Either the Movie or the Standalone Complex. Or both, really. Let's be fair. It's not directly mecha but it is sci fi and among the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭thebag89

Code Geass is a good one

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Metabots.

I never did get to finish it because idk why but I liked it. It's not all that serious and the style is good

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet, if you want your mecha to have social commentary.

I'll warn you though, Gen Urobuchi's involved, though restrained a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

A fun show that dosn't take itself too serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 John_the_smith

Hey, here's a few I've seen and really liked:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Mobile Suit Gundam 00
    Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann
    Eureka Seven
    Break Blade
    Heroic Age

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Tengen Toppen Gurren Lagann
    Was also going to mention this. It's odd. Gets very odd. But it's good.

=-=

I also second Ghost in the Shell. It's awesome, and so is the Stand Alone Complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

Break Blade

Hmm, don't think I've seen this - and there are several movies? Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

The Armored Trooper VOTOMS franchise if you want something with more realistic mechas. Think dudes in walking, mass-produced tanks as opposed to huge flashy metal giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Turn-A Gundam

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Gundam SEED Destiny

Gundam Wing - Mobile Suit Gundam

Gundam Wing 00

Armored Trooper Votoms

Armored Trooper Votoms - Pailsen Files

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann

Overman King Gainer (this is awesome)

Blue Gender

Full Metal Panic

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu (it's sh|t, but I still watched it. mention it near anime lovers to see all the hate :P)

Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid

Ghost in the Shell SAC 2nd GiG

These involve Mecha as part of their storyline;

Eureka.seveN

Code Geass

Code Geass R2

RahXephon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,738 ✭✭✭Rawr

Martian Successor Nadesico

Primarily a Space Opera / Comedy, but does feature a lot of mecha.
    By far one of my favorite shows due to a seamless and expert balance between oddball comedy and gritty war drama. Very VERY recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Beefy187

I havnt been following the show but I heard that "Knights of Sidonia" is great.

From the current season, I like "ALDNOAH.Zero" The design of Mecha is not great but the story looks promising so far.
    "Argevollen" is also currently on right now. I quite like the design of mecha but don't like the characters and the story of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Perkinstock

code geass will be a perfect one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭FGR

Just finished watching the first season of Knights of Sidonia. Very, very good and would recommend.

Advertisement