Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ancient Dna - what to study for masters?

• 22-05-2014 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi everyone

I am in my second year of a joint major in archaeology and economics and would be interested in pursuing ancient dna studies to the phd level.

I am wondering what would be best to study as a masters as I have a wide variety of potential course ranging from molecular/physical anthropology, to genetics, to bioarchaeology.

Any advice would be appreciated. It's a bit of a change in topic but my economic degree has given me a healthy background in math and statistics (plus I have around 2 years programming experience - admittedly a bit rusty on the programming) - and it is not unheard of for math/stat students to enter population genetics.

Do you think if I provide a strong enough statement of intent, a clear goal for what to study, take courses in my final year relating to genetics and show a strong willingness to work hard that I might stand a chance of entering an appropriate masters?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Interesting subject. May I ask where you are studying at the moment and where you are intend to study for your masters?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Durz0 Blint

I'm up at UCD at the moment. I have another full year to go. My GPA is currently a 4.0 so I would like to aim for a college with as high prestige as possible.

I have been considering oxford, cambridge, Durham, york and UCL for archaeology as they all seem to focus on bioarchaeology. The max planck institute in Germany is apparently the best in the world at aDna studies but from there website they seem to only have a PHD program, not a masters.

Molecular anthropology has been harder to research as I know a lot less about the subject and what schools are well regarded (plus most are in the US where costs could get very expensive).

For biology, pennsylvania state have a genetics program that will take people with a non-science background but I don't think have any focus on aDna. Uppsala university in Sweden is ranked in the top 40 for biology and has no fees for EU students so they would be interesting.

I am tending to lean towards biology as I think it would improve my employ ability if my attempt to make it in academia doesn't pan out, but I would miss the lack of archaeological/anthropological focus in my studies.

It's still early days in my researching postgraduate study but hopefully I can come up with a good plan.

If you are in UCD you should talk to Ron Pinhasi. He is a Professor in the School of Archaeology and has opened an aDNA lab there within the last year. He could be a good contact to have in terms of advising you on further studies.

Preusse wrote: »
    If you are in UCD you should talk to Ron Pinhasi. He is a Professor in the School of Archaeology and has opened an aDNA lab there within the last year. He could be a good contact to have in terms of advising you on further studies.

Thanks for the advice

I'm actually currently trying to get in touch with him for advice, but he seems to be a hard man to track down.

Yes, it's hard to get a reply by email. Maybe call in on their admins and make an appointment to see him for 15 minutes or so. that way you have a definite date and time to pin him down. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I'm up at UCD at the moment. I have another full year to go. My GPA is currently a 4.0 so I would like to aim for a college with as high prestige as possible.

I have been considering oxford, cambridge, Durham, york and UCL for archaeology as they all seem to focus on bioarchaeology. The max planck institute in Germany is apparently the best in the world at aDna studies but from there website they seem to only have a PHD program, not a masters.

The Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Anthropology is a really great place for aDNA. For the field its better then anything in Western Europe by a long shot. I am there myself but not in their genetics department. You are right they do not offer Masters programmes but internships with Masters students are common here.

My other concern would be, if I was to study genetics, how to prepare for postgraduate study in the field.

The big problem is my undergraduate is in a different area. Is there anything I can do to prepare myself and present as strong a case for why a masters program should accept me?

Advertisement