Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lock problem on VW Golf

• 24-09-2008 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All

I was wondering if anyone might have any insight into an "issue" I came across this morning with the car (VW Golf MkIV, 1.4L). When going to lock the door for the car in the carpark in work this morning the key went into the lock mechanism without problem but wouldn't lock the door. When I twist it they key moves freely in the lock (clockwise and anti clockwise) however the lock mechanism doesn't seem to be "catching" on anything.

The central lock button on the inside of the driver's door is locking all doors apart from the driver's door and I also can't push down the driver's door lock beside the window itself. (Not sure if that makes any sense!).

Have you heard of anything like this happening before and if so what can be done? I'd prefer not to have to take it to a VW main dealer as they seem to charge an arm and a leg just to look at a car, let alone work on it!

Any help/advice is much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Faulty door locks are a common fault on the MkIV. Probably need a new door lock.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 johnnyutah

Thanks Moanin, I wasn't aware of that, any idea of how much that'd cost? This is about the fourth problem I've had with the Golf this year, despite never having any problems for the first four years of owning it - everything seems to be going wrong now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

I used to own a 2000 model and after 2 years the door lock on the driver side went, the airbag light constantly kept coming on on the dash and the rear washer for the wipers constantly leaked into the boot. the battery also died in this period.
    I can't remember how much it cost to repair.My friend who's a mechanic did it, but it took him a long time to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭mvpr

Hi Johnnyutah,

Have had problems with our similar Golf - doors locking/unlocking themselves repeatedly, drivers door lock sticking (bit of WD40 always cured this). You might not need to replace the locks. Does it lock from the passenger door? Maybe a fuse is gone. Id say have a mechanic take a look.

Failing that try www.otto.ie for parts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I had this problem once where a customer came in to the garage complaining of the doors locking by themselves and just as she said "the car is locking me out!", you hear a click click and there's the woman's child locked into the car and the two of us looking at each other!

:eek::eek::eek:

It's caused by the central locking actuator/sensor being over sensitive in the drivers door.

The locks also cause problems, I think a rough cost is around 200+ Euro, the lock is expensive. You could be looking at anywhere up to 300 Euro, I think the lock itself was almost 200 Euro...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 johnnyutah

Thanks folks. I'm thinking it's the actual lock barrel (not sure of the correct term) that's the problem as I can insert the key and it's twisting both ways however there's no "resistance" when I turn the key. Looks like I'll have to get it sorted asap, hopefully I won't have to break open the piggy bank though!

Thanks again folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

This is an old thread so you prob. forked out for a new lock already.

Anyhoo, this is a common problem, or so I was told when it happened to me. Luckily it's an easy fix and should cost about 50cent.

Symptoms, if you like, are that the key/central locking won't lock/unlock the door. The barrel rotates ok, but there is no resistance to turning.

There is a flimsy cast aluminium part in the lock mech. It's a thin straight barrel shape about 1cm long and most main dealers will have them at the ready.

To fix....take the door panel off. Remove the lock mech and the fault will be obvious as the broken piece of Al. will fall into your hand.

Replace with a new part and reassembly is easy enough if you have a little patience.

Hope this helps someone.

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Paulw0t

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I'm having exactly the same problem with the MK4....

I got one of those repair kits off ebay and am going to try it but was wondering if this problem is reoccurring or should a repair job work ? Also has anyone tried the repair kit before ? Looks fairly simple according to instructions, however instructions are meant to make things look simple.

The car is nearly 10 so its done this far without any problems...

If it went wrong any idea what sort of price a mechanic would charge to fix ?

Thanks.
    Paul.

This is an easy enough fix. You don't need to be a mechanic to do the job. At least I'm not a mechanic and I've done it twice.

There is no need to take off the door panel. Just open the door and undo the hex nut that loosens the handle. Now the handle slides forward towards the front of the car and allows you to pull out the handle to expose the pin (which is the part that breaks) the spring and the brass washer. Be careful (!) not to knock the loose pieces off the pin as you might need them and they will cause a rattle if they are lost in the door.

Take the broken piece (pin) out and replace with the new pin, you might need to take a file to the new pin as the hook on the end of the pin may not fit exactly into the loop at the end of the lock barrel.

Reassemble the mechanism and spray liberally with a lubricant of your choice. Tighten the hex nut and you've saved yourself E50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 lucanone

gerardduff wrote: »
    This is an easy enough fix. You don't need to be a mechanic to do the job. At least I'm not a mechanic and I've done it twice.

right im going to try this and will inform you all how i get on....cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 matty888

Well lucanone how did it go?? Im curious because it happened to me now

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

Matty, I had this problem with both doors, I bought the kit off ebay, cheap and it works perfect.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

what's this kit called? a friend of mine has the same problem.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

Well this thread is answering the problem I have with my drivers side door lock but I was wondering if anyone knows about problems with the boot lock.

I read in the manual that there is a dead lock for the boot lid. You have to turn the key a full 360 degress and then the boot is fully locked. I did it to test it and was delighted because it was something that would be of use. Since then though I would have intermittent problems where the key just goes round and round and nothing happens but what always happens is the lock wont let the key turn those 360 degrees to dead lock the boot. You can lock and unlock the car as normal and open the boot just fine, and close the sunroof too so the general electronics seem to be fine. Just for some reason the key isnt being allowed to turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 NIALL GAFFNEY

Hi

Having the exact same problem. What is the name of the kit on ebay because the link that was left is dead.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭nogoodnamesleft

Guide here on how to strip the lock and repair. Common on cars without Remote Central Locking as the drivers door lock gets the most use:

http://www.passatworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279414

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭GTE

I saw a lady in a 00 Passat today and she went to the boot to unlock the car then got in the front seat. People were looking at her oddly for going to the boot, seeming to do nothing then getting in.

I know her pain lol

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dark Rabbit

I have the same issue myself. I've found a kit on ebay called 'VW Golf MK 4 door lock repair kit'. I presume this is it.
    Will give it a shot and let you know how I get on.

BTW I was going to put my car into a garage and was told I'd have to pay for a diagnostic and €100 an hour thereafter for the work they would have to do to fix it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement