Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cruciate ligament disaster!

• 15-11-2008 4:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I tore my cruciate ligament 3 years ago but I have never done anything with it. Now that I want to get back into sport I want to get it sorted so am considering geting the operation to sort it out. The only problem is that I dont have health insurance and not sure if I can afford paying for it.

Has anyone any ideas?
    Just at a brick wall situation!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Go public?

What's the waiting list like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Bluemoney

I donno just something I have to find out. With public do you have to pay much?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Go public?

What's the waiting list like?

It's 2 years (to get an appointment) in Beaumont. My wife got it done 4 years ago and it was costing about 2500 then. Might be worth giving the Sports Surgery clinic in santry a ring and asking them.
    Do speak to your own Doctor first to get a referral and /or recommendation which surgeon.
    Of note thorough rehab sometimes means the surgery is not necessary. I am aware of 2 premiership footballers who were able to play on without surgery.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

OP where are you based? My friend tore his cartilage this year in May playing tag rugby and had an operation 2 weeks ago going public, like you he didn't have health insurance so had to go public. That was in Galway, maybe the waiting list is much shorter here than Dublin. I know its a different ligament, but its still knee surgery and would be same surgeon, so possibly waiting list would be the same...
    Might be an idea to start building up the muscles around the knee now so that by the time you do have the op you won't lose too much muscle afterwards, it helps with rehab a lot too.

Ye thanks, I will have to stat doing domething to build it up. Thats encouraging news so hopefully I will get it sorted!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 brianomurphy

sorry to hear that lad.

I've just had mine done last Friday, am laid up at home in recovery. (God, daytime TV is ****)

I had insurance so had it done private. After seeing the consultant, i could have had it done 4 weeks after that, ended up getting it done 8 weeks later.

Ah nice one, hopefully that will be me soon. It seems to be coming one of the most common injuries occuring!

Advertisement