Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Query re: "Head of Household"

• 25-09-2015 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering under what,if any, circumstances did the "Head of Household" change in 1901/1911 census.
    For example I am looking up my relatives and my great, great grandfather Robert K(e)ane appears on the census in 1901 as head of household, but in 1911 he is not there anymore and now his wife is listed as the head of household.
    My first thought was that he died sometime between the 2 census, but the only deaths I can find under that name, during that time frame, are of much older men than he would have been. I know the ages weren't always accurate but these are quite big age differences, 10 - 20 years.
    So I suppose what I'm wondering is were there any other circumstances where the wife would be listed as the head of household, i.e if he was away with the army, hospitalised etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Head of household should be someone living in the house at the time. If the husband was somewhere else he should be listed separately. If he died between 1901 and 1911 the wife should have listed herself as a widow.

On some of the census forms for the Army or RIC where the husband lived nearby he filled in the form and signed, but would not usually be on listed on the household form itself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The wifes marital status should be on the 1911 document.

I've seen merchant marine, military, RIC, and hospitalisation causing people to be away and the wife as head

based on the instructions on the reverse of the form : ...only people present in the house on census night, or at work or travelling and due back the next morning were to be included, and only if they were not enumerated elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

Thanks so much for the replies, I just checked the 1911 census and it looks like she had written in "married" but then wrote something else over it and I can't make it out 😫 So frustrating!

Have another question if anyone would be so kind :) When a death occurred was it registered where it occurred or where the person was from, I have found a death record from 1907 in Gorey and the age would be closer to what he would he would have been, but I know the family were still living in Dublin at that time!

• Advertisement

All civil BMDs were supposed to be registered in the district they occurred in.

which is your Keane family on the 1901 and 1911 returns ?

shanew wrote: »
    which is your Keane family on the 1901 and 1911 returns ?

On the 1901 census they are Robert & Frances Keane of King Street North, Inns Quay.
    On the 1911 one they appear as Kane and Robert is not listed as mentioned above. Hendrick Lane, Arran Quay.

there is a 'Married' in there - but looks like there is something else... cant figure it out at the moment...

The number of years married etc is filled in - which in theory should only be done for married women, although there are quite a few example of people filling this in when widowed, and on on occasion crossed out, which can sometimes be useful

363732.jpg

for ref. all born Dublin City, and Robert is a 'Hack Car Driver', so probably more likely to have worked in and around the city but it's possible that he may have journeyed outside the city or even the county

Another possibility is that he might have been in Prison or Hospital. These often list people under their initials on the census form

EDIT : Have you found Robert jnr. in 1901 ?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Is it widow?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Is it widow?

there could be a 'd' in the right place there - looks like an ascender of some sort in the middle there. First letter's a mess..

just to eliminate... there are four burials that I see of a Robert Keane/Kane in Glasnevin between 1901 and 1911 - some too young (1 and 23 - prob. the one in Hammond Lane in '01) and the others too old (60 & 80) to be likely matches.. I didn't see anything promising under Caine/Cain

That certainly could be him because as you said the wife's age jumps quite significantly so his could well do too!

Could you advise me on how (if this is him) to find out who his parents were? Reason being I discovered today that my great grandmother (daughter of Robert & Frances Keane) and my great grandfathers mother both share the same maiden name, Keane / Kane so it seems as though my great grandparents may have been related, and I'm trying to ascertain if they were, how closely related were they.

-Leelo- wrote: »
    ....Could you advise me on how (if this is him) to find out who his parents were? ....

I'd suggest working back to the marriage - a civil marriage cert will show father's names and occupations, and a church marriage might show both parents' names depending on the parish

Do you have the children baptisms or births ?

based on the BMD Index the there's a possible match in the 2nd Qtr 1890 (v2/pg603) in Dublin South, exactly matching the "year's married" Frances entered on the census return... but not seeing a parish record for it yet...

shanew wrote: »
    I'd suggest working back to the marriage - a civil marriage cert will show father's names and occupations, and a church marriage might show both parents' names depending on the parish

Do you have the children baptisms or births ?

Yes I had found a record for Frances Jrs baptism, Frances (the mother) maiden name was Fitzpatrick, hadn't occurred to me to look up the marriage though for some reason!

Yes I had found a record for Frances Jrs baptism, Frances (the mother) maiden name was Fitzpatrick...

that's the one I based the marriage search on... the other Baptisms might have been in St. Paul's Arran Quay, which are not on the IrishGenealogy website. Transcripts for this parish are on RootsIreland and images are on the NLI films. The NLI films only cover up to the 1880s, and seem to include marriages up to Oct. 1889. This parish would fit with the general area this family seem to have lived - at least three different addresses between 1900 and 1911.

That civil cert might be the simpler option... the possible match I mentioned is Dublin South, which would not include St. Pauls. It would include city parishes such as St. Andrew's, St. Catherine, SS. Michael & John's, St. James, St. Nicholas (Francis St.) etc., and parts of the south suburbs and south west County Dublin - e.g. Rathmines, Saggart etc

Thanks so much for your help, very much appreciated!
    I have one last question, is there anywhere I can look up the Richmond Asylum patient records?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks so much for your help, very much appreciated!
    I have one last question, is there anywhere I can look up the Richmond Asylum patient records?

See our thread on the Grangegorman records - it's the same place and you have to foi the records which are held but by the National Archives.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    See our thread on the Grangegorman records - it's the same place and you have to foi the records which are held but by the National Archives.

Brilliant, thanks so much!

Advertisement