Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snails wanted!

• 23-02-2012 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

Remember the tiny round snails that used to be on live plants and infect tanks with millions of snails?

My sister recently set up a tank with a puffer fish called Aristotle! The guys she bought him from recommended he'd need snails to eat, not conical ones or big ones but the little ones, the thing is that everyone seems to have really clean tanks and plants and they haven't been able to find any at all!

Do you have any ideas where they could look in the Dublin area?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

I'm looking for some too had one that laid a load of eggs before my dwarf puffers got him hopefully I see a load of them in my tank soon if I do ill pass a few onto you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

That'd be fantastic, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I will photo the ones that are currently over-running my tank and if they are the type you want then I will gladly gather them in some fashion and get them to you.

Where are you based?

I planned on beginning a massive cull this evening so let me know if you want them!

Draupnir wrote: »
    I will photo the ones that are currently over-running my tank and if they are the type you want then I will gladly gather them in some fashion and get them to you.

Where are you based?

I planned on beginning a massive cull this evening so let me know if you want them!

Hi Draupnir,

I'd be interested ni a few of these also if there is enough to go around

They're the small snails with greeny/grey shells, they came in on some plants I bought and have been breeding very successfully since!

I'll take a photo later on tonight and then if you guys want some, I'm sure there are plenty to go around.

I'm in Dublin, not sure how best to share them around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've heard of feeding puffers shell-on prawns too, if snails are proving hard to get.

I'm in North Dublin but have members of the family working in Finglas, Kilmainham and City centre if any of that is any good?

I'm City centre based myself so we can sort something out. I keep getting sidetracked and don't get around to getting the photos up. I'll see what I can do at lunch time with Google, sorry.

I'm based in north dublin and city centre so would definintly be interested in a few

you might be able to identify yours from this

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/75554-snail-species/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mutznutz

When you get your hands on those snails you could try breeding them in a seperate tank and then they wont be culled as soon as there hatched .. you can just give them as needed then.. and for anyone with an infestation of these pesky little snails .. clown loaches love to eat them and will clean your tank up nicely:D

• Advertisement

I would say my guys are pond snails, have seen that spawn around the tank at times too. It's been a hectic week this week, sorry for the poor responses.

How do you guys want me to get these to you? Can I bag them maybe?

you just throw them in a plastic bag with a drop of tank water and theyre grand I can meet you in the city centre any day that suits you

Grand, I'll PM you my number

Draupnir wrote: »
    I'm City centre based myself so we can sort something out. I keep getting sidetracked and don't get around to getting the photos up. I'll see what I can do at lunch time with Google, sorry.

I'm going to PM you my sister's number, she's the one who has the puffer fish who needs the snails, and she works in the city centre :)

Cheers, got the number and will get in touch later.

Advertisement