Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My daughters christening

Options
  • 14-05-2008 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

my daughters christening is on saturday and i would like some advice re her godparents
    i am a practising catholic although my parent is not a catholic at all. originally we wanted both my sister (catholic) and rachel (my patners) sister Katy (agnostic) as godparents. we were told by the parish priest that he would only allow one female to be godparent and that we must find a male to be godfather.
    has anyone else been allowed two godmothers?

assuming we must have one godmother and one godfather we would like to have rachels sister and her husband. will this be allowed given that the godmother has not been christened and the godfather is protestant.

reading this back to myself this does sound a bit ridiculous but it would mean so much to both us and Katy for her to be a godparent.

does the priest/church even ask the denomination of the godparents or must we declare the fact.

please help me. my partner wants to cancel the whole thing but i really want my daughter baptised and for it to be a special day

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

colin2503 wrote: »
    my daughters christening is on saturday and i would like some advice re her godparents
    i am a practising catholic although my parent is not a catholic at all. originally we wanted both my sister (catholic) and rachel (my patners) sister Katy (agnostic) as godparents. we were told by the parish priest that he would only allow one female to be godparent and that we must find a male to be godfather.

assuming we must have one godmother and one godfather we would like to have rachels sister and her husband. will this be allowed given that the godmother has not been christened and the godfather is protestant.

reading this back to myself this does sound a bit ridiculous but it would mean so much to both us and Katy for her to be a godparent.

does the priest/church even ask the denomination of the godparents or must we declare the fact.

please help me. my partner wants to cancel the whole thing but i really want my daughter baptised and for it to be a special day

thanks

Hi, I christened my child Catholic. The priest did not ask for the religions of the Godparents per se. However, when it comes to the ceremony the Godparnets have a declaration to make in regards to taking responsibility to raise the child in Gods way, etc etc, acknowledging all aspects of the religion in the process. Will Katy want to do this if she is an agnostic?
    You could always put her down as a guardian on a legal document (should anything happen to you). As an aunt she will have a natural influence in her life anyway.
    Sorry couldn't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

colin2503 wrote: »

thanks

Coming at it from the atheist perspective. If the Priest has a problem with it, ask some Roman Catholics to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My partner is COI and he is God father to my sisters child (RC), the priest did not have a problem with it.

I think it depends on the priest.

Best of luck anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Quality wrote: »
    My partner is COI and he is God father to my sisters child (RC), the priest did not have a problem with it.

I think it depends on the priest.

Best of luck anyway!

COI are still part of the Christian community though. I think if your agnostic friend does not wish to carry out these vows, you should seek someone of the Christian faith.

Advertisement