Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recieving Cancelled Goods

• 16-03-2015 11:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I'm in the right place so mods feel free to move.

Basically, I ordered an item with a company. I requested to cancel it, which they did, and refunded me fully.

Two weeks later (today) I have gotten a text from a courier saying they have a delivery for me and it is the item which I cancelled. Where do I stand here?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Simple, just refuse to accept it and it will go back to the sender. You don't want it, they have refunded you and therefore it needs to go back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Simple, just refuse to accept it and it will go back to the sender. You don't want it, they have refunded you and therefore it needs to go back!

I'm in work and I told the courier to drop the package to a shop for me so I can collect it. I then asked after what it was and he told me.

I have texted the courier saying that order was cancelled. No response

OK courier has confirmed it's cancelled so thats fine.

Out of curiosity what would have happened if I accepted it?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

^^Exactly as Chesire Cat said.

It's the same as thought you had received the goods, and then decided to cancel/return your order.

If you accepted it, then you would be asked to pay for it again.
    H. Rules on Cancellation (these apply to distance and offpremises contracts) 1. Unless outside the scope of the regulations (or the relevant Parts) (see B1/2 above) or specifically exempted from cancellation rights (see H.6. below), consumers who enter into (or offer to enter into) off premises or distance contracts will have 14 calendar days in which to change their minds, and do not have to give a reason for doing so. They must be provided with the cancellation form as set out in schedule 3 of the regulations but do not have to use it as long as they make clear that they are cancelling.
    Because the burden of proof for showing cancellation within the
    cancellation period rests with the consumer, it will be in the consumer’s
    interest to keep some record of the cancellation. 2. The 14 days for cancellation start the day after the goods have been received or, in the case of service contracts, the contract was entered into. Where different goods within an order are delivered at different times the cancellation period will run from the day after delivery of the last item. 3. The consumer should generally return any goods within 14 days unless the trader has offered to collect them 4. The trader should refund within 14 days of receiving the goods back or receiving proof they have been sent back, or in the case of services, of being informed of cancellation. 5. Where services to which cancellation rights apply are delivered during the cancellation period (for example the provision of water, gas, electricity and district heating) the trader will need to take into account the nature of that service and the consequences of cancellation in that context in order to ensure that a consumer does not incur liability as a result of exercising the right to cancel. The obligations of the consumer in the event of withdrawal should not discourage the consumer from exercising his right of withdrawal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If you had accepted delivery then the appropriate thing to do would be to contact the seller and ask them how they want to deal with it. Some sellers will let you keep it especially if it's a low value item, many will send a courier to collect it.

• Advertisement

Perfect! Job done, thread done. Thanks lads, saved me from a sticky there

Advertisement