Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beta readers wanted

• 13-10-2011 3:41pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Who wants to read a 100,000 word perennial work in progress and tell me how to make it better?

I can supply it in any format you want, except possibly .MOV

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Aw, no .mov, but that was exactly the format everyone would have wanted :P

I'd be happy to help if you'd like, but I must warn you now, it would be an age before I'd be able to get back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Leafonthewind

I'd love to read it, if you're willing to wait a few months for feedback. I'm not a very fast reader, and I do have to finish Diary of the Wolf first, but I'm working away at it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

When you say "work in progress" do you mean you are in the editing phase or you haven't finished writing it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

I'll do a swapsie with you as discussed... though I think I'm going to take more time with my 2nd book. Have some ideas I need to implement before I get your valued opinion on it.

Do you have it in that handy .mobi format? Doesn't matter if you don't, but I'll get it read a lot faster if I can throw it on my wee Kindle. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,942 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Antilles wrote: »
    When you say "work in progress" do you mean you are in the editing phase or you haven't finished writing it yet?

Theoretically I've finished writing it now, barring a few inevitable changes after review. I did say this about two years and six rewrites ago though...
    Fewcifur wrote: »
    I'll do a swapsie with you as discussed... though I think I'm going to take more time with my 2nd book. Have some ideas I need to implement before I get your valued opinion on it.

Do you have it in that handy .mobi format? Doesn't matter if you don't, but I'll get it read a lot faster if I can throw it on my wee Kindle. :)

I did convert it to .mobi but it looks a bit uglier than the .epub I converted it from. The indentations and page breaks didn't work right. I'll try reconvert it tomorrow. If you've any tips for Calibre or Sigil or whatever you used to make your books I'm all ears.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

yeah, i have a couple weeks off after this week. not that i need a couple weeks. but anyway yeah i'll read it

Theoretically I've finished writing it now, barring a few inevitable changes after review. I did say this about two years and six rewrites ago though...

Is there a deadline on finishing reading? I'll volunteer my eyes but I'm pretty busy for the next fortnight so won't be able to get back to you before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I've just finished American Gods, currently between interesting reads and in a mood for being constructively critical, if you're looking for someone who likes red pen...

Blush_01 wrote: »
    I've just finished American Gods, currently between interesting reads and in a mood for being constructively critical, if you're looking for someone who likes red pen...

Hmm, I've just started American Gods :)

I tore through it in a few days, and now I'm sorry I finished it, I didn't want it to end, even though I really wanted to find out what happened. Second Gaiman book I've read (the first was The Graveyard Book) and now I want to go book shopping... not good on my budget.

• Advertisement

The first and only one I've read so far was Anansi Boys which I've just this minute discovered I maybe should have read after AG. Ah well.

Just filled a basket on thebookdepository and I'm now trying to restrain myself from clicking on the checkout button.

I'm about to pick up Murakami, so if you're interested in sending that through to me let me know. :)

Oh my god that's one of my favourite books. He's just one of those writers that gives you that "I wish I had thought of that... it's brilliant" feeling.
    I tore through it in a few days, and now I'm sorry I finished it, I didn't want it to end, even though I really wanted to find out what happened. Second Gaiman book I've read (the first was The Graveyard Book) and now I want to go book shopping... not good on my budget.

Anansi Boys is the way to go if you're in a post-AG world. Not as good, but deals with a lot of similar concepts.

Neverwhere is good too.

I did convert it to .mobi but it looks a bit uglier than the .epub I converted it from. The indentations and page breaks didn't work right. I'll try reconvert it tomorrow. If you've any tips for Calibre or Sigil or whatever you used to make your books I'm all ears.

I just use Smashwords to do it. Just upload a word file and they do all the rest. Even if you don't put in all their copyright stuff, it'll still pop out a finished product.

Oh my god that's one of my favourite books. He's just one of those writers that gives you that "I wish I had thought of that... it's brilliant" feeling.
    Absolutely. And it's always something that you think you maybe could have thought of rather than some esoteric concept you would never have dreamed up.

I've always loved the spider-god. I even wrote a play based on the Ananse stories when I was in college. Then I lost the one copy of it I had saved on a floppy. Good times. I tell my kids Ananse stories at bedtime too so maybe one of them will write the definitive spider book at some stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

yay, anansi the spider! :)

PMed some links in various formats.

I'd always assumed your surname was Rooney :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,082 ✭✭✭BadGirl

Will be happy to read too if you want? Am not a writer but do love a good read :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

i'd also love to read it!

I am a fast reader and will pm you an honest opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

Hey there Pick.
    Have you a short synopsis we could read? Not meaning to sound be lazy, just genuinely interested (and maybe a little lazy)

• Advertisement

Does anyone speak native or near-native Spanish that could check about a hundred words of dialogue?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Does anyone speak native or near-native Spanish that could check about a hundred words of dialogue?

I know someone Spanish if that helps?

A girl in my class is Spanish, and she's nice enough that I could ask her opinion :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭harrythehat

Hmm, I've just started American Gods :)

Great book, great author.

Almost makes me wish I could summon up an interest in graphic novels.

I'll probably just throw all the Spanish into a separate text file and ask someone to check it but someone anonymous would be easier so I would probably like to take your friends up on the offers you've made on their behalf :D

BTW has anyone (besides LeafOnTheWind who has already delivered a full review like a star :)) started this yet?

i got halfway through it one day then got distracted
    ill finish it soon

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I'll give it a read if you like? I'm a v fast reader,plus i loved american gods too if it helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55,433 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Me too.... If you're looking for more readers, I'll give it a go.
    Just got a kindle 2 weeks ago, and I've read 5 books on it already. Flying through them. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Yeah, I've started. I may finish it in two or three weeks.

• Advertisement

angelll wrote: »
    I'll give it a read if you like? I'm a v fast reader,plus i loved american gods too if it helps :D

Sent, thanks.
    Mr E wrote: »
    Me too.... If you're looking for more readers, I'll give it a go.
    Just got a kindle 2 weeks ago, and I've read 5 books on it already. Flying through them. :)

PMed.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    i got halfway through it one day then got distracted
    ill finish it soon

Yeah, it gets kind of unreadable about that stage :)

Advertisement