Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Addressing the God Question -- May 7th, Davenport Hotel, 8pm

Options
  • 28-04-2008 10:18am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭

The next meeting of the Irish skeptics will take place on Wednesday, May 7th at 8.00pm in the Davenport Hotel, Merrion Square, Dublin 2.

Instead of the usual lecture format, this evening will instead be a discussion on the topic of Addressing the God Question: are religion and skepticism mutually incompatible?" This is an area that the ISS has not considered previously, though it has been discussed by skeptics groups elsewhere.

The format of the evening will be as follows:

Dr. Gary O'Reilly, School of Psychology, University College Dublin will introduce the topic with an overview of the issues.

Dr. Donal O'Mathuna, a scientist, member of the Irish Skeptics society and a lecturer in the School of Nursing, Dublin City University will present a position paper from the perspective of a believer.

Ms. Ann James, Secretary of the Humanist Association of Ireland will present a position paper from the perspective of a non-believer.

Following the presentations Mr. Paul O'Donoghue of the ISS will chair a discussion with audience participation.

A lively debate and healthy turnout are expected. As usual, the entry fee is €3 for members and concessions and €6 for non-members.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Thanks robindch, sounds interesting. Think I might just take myself along to the Davenport on the 7th.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

robindch wrote: »
    The next meeting of the Irish skeptics will take place on Wednesday, May 7th at 8.00pm in the Davenport Hotel, Merrion Square, Dublin 2.

Instead of the usual lecture format, this evening will instead be a discussion on the topic of Addressing the God Question: are religion and skepticism mutually incompatible?" This is an area that the ISS has not considered previously, though it has been discussed by skeptics groups elsewhere.

The format of the evening will be as follows:

Dr. Gary O'Reilly, School of Psychology, University College Dublin will introduce the topic with an overview of the issues.

Dr. Donal O'Mathuna, a scientist, member of the Irish Skeptics society and a lecturer in the School of Nursing, Dublin City University will present a position paper from the perspective of a believer.

Ms. Ann James, Secretary of the Humanist Association of Ireland will present a position paper from the perspective of a non-believer.

Following the presentations Mr. Paul O'Donoghue of the ISS will chair a discussion with audience participation.

A lively debate and healthy turnout are expected. As usual, the entry fee is €3 for members and concessions and €6 for non-members.

I'll be in the back taking notes and drawing pictures to take back to my superiors. Are cameras allowed? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

So you have members of the society that are believers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I woulda thought that he was just presenting their argument, to generate discussion.

Could be wrong though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

PDN wrote: »
    So you have members of the society that are believers?
    Yes, indeed. The Irish Skeptics are a broad church and everybody's welcomed regardless of religious belief, or the lack of it.

Do you have many skeptics in in your church?

• Advertisement

Yes, indeed. The Irish Skeptics are a broad church and everybody's welcomed regardless of religious belief, or the lack of it.

Do you have many skeptics in in your church?

You mean apart from myself?

You mean apart from myself?
    Unless you bilocate or trilocate -- heavens, these cavernous churches have to be filled somehow -- I think it would be unusual for somebody, even of your rep, to think of himself as "many". So yep, that's what I mean.

Anyhow, if you'd like to come along, do let me know and I'll make sure that there's a seat kept for you in the front row. Mark 2:17 and all that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Instead of the usual lecture format, this evening will instead be a discussion on the topic of Addressing the God Question: are religion and skepticism mutually incompatible?"

The answer to the question "are religion and skepticism mutually incompatible?"
    ......is that religion and skepticism are generally NOT mutually incompatible.......

.....with the possible exception of a belief in Spontaneous Evolutionism which IS incompatible with (true) skepticism !!!:pac::):D

....I guess I have just saved you all a trip to the Davenport.....on a long summer's evening!!!!
    .....as well as €6 and your bus fare!!!!:D

Great to see the skeptics following up on their lively interest in God......all that remains to be done now, is for them to be Saved ......and become Creationists!!!:D

I actually quite enjoyed the evening. The speakers were pretty good. Some of the contributions from the floor were fairly confused, but that goes with the territory at such events.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Did Robin keep you a seat?

• Advertisement

I actually quite enjoyed the evening. The speakers were pretty good.
    Glad you could make it -- I hope that you'll let us know next time you're preaching in Dublin. I'm sure that a few posters would like to pop along.
    Some of the contributions from the floor were fairly confused, but that goes with the territory at such events.
    Indeed, there were more than a few religious people there and at least one creationist.

What did you make of the last floor contribution?

Did Robin keep you a seat?
    I did indeed -- there was one in the front row, next to mine, which I kept free up until the talk started.

Glad you could make it -- I hope that you'll let us know next time you're preaching in Dublin. I'm sure that a few posters would like to pop along.Indeed, there were more than a few religious people there and at least one creationist.

What did you make of the last floor contribution?

I had to bite my tongue since the young lady in question was sitting beside me. It would have been interesting to discuss some of her points with her - but I was in a hurry to make another appointment. She seemed very sincere about how religion had held science back, citing Galileo as an example. I would have liked to discuss with her about how Galileo's scientific research was based on his theological assumptions - but there you go.

Thanks for saving me a seat, but I actually arrived a few minutes late :o But don't worry - I paid my entrance fee on the way out. Incidentally, I left my diary behind and one of your society very kindly phoned the number on the inside front cover to let me know before I had even started my car. If I had lost the diary then it would have greatly hindered the work of our churches - so that phone call was valuable assistance to the cause of religion. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Incidentally, I left my diary behind and one of your society very kindly phoned the number on the inside front cover to let me know before I had even started my car. If I had lost the diary then it would have greatly hindered the work of our churches - so that phone call was valuable assistance to the cause of religion. ;)

If he had only realised! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I had to bite my tongue since the young lady in question was sitting beside me. It would have been interesting to discuss some of her points with her - but I was in a hurry to make another appointment. She seemed very sincere about how religion had held science back, citing Galileo as an example. I would have liked to discuss with her about how Galileo's scientific research was based on his theological assumptions - but there you go.

Thanks for saving me a seat, but I actually arrived a few minutes late :o But don't worry - I paid my entrance fee on the way out. Incidentally, I left my diary behind and one of your society very kindly phoned the number on the inside front cover to let me know before I had even started my car. If I had lost the diary then it would have greatly hindered the work of our churches - so that phone call was valuable assistance to the cause of religion. ;)
    Congrads on going PDN. I was considering going but I thought there should have been a speaker from one of the main Churches in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

-I hope that you'll let us know next time you're preaching in Dublin. I'm sure that a few posters would like to pop along.

Count me in.

I thought there should have been a speaker from one of the main Churches in Ireland.
    I don't believe that there are any clerics who are members of the ISS -- PDN, you could be the first! :) The group is made up mostly of medics, engineers, scientists and a smattering of other professions (no lawyers either, as far as I recall). Hence, I suppose Paul and co. didn't have much choice but to ask a member who was simply a religious believer to speak.

Incidentally, I left my diary behind and one of your society very kindly phoned the number on the inside front cover to let me know before I had even started my car. If I had lost the diary then it would have greatly hindered the work of our churches - so that phone call was valuable assistance to the cause of religion. ;)
    I wouldn't have expected anything else to have happened -- glad you got it back so quickly :)
    I would have liked to discuss with her about how Galileo's scientific research was based on his theological assumptions
    You've made this quite extraordinary claim about Galileo before -- can you point me to some of Galileo's writings in which he says that this is the case?

And how exactly do you reconcile this with the Vatican's judgment that "there is no way an opinion declared and defined contrary to divine Scripture may be probable" which used the same religion to reach precisely the opposite conclusion -- that inquiry should be eliminated by threat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Darn-I couldn't make it-oh well maybe next time...

You've made this quite extraordinary claim about Galileo before -- can you point me to some of Galileo's writings in which he says that this is the case?
    From Galileo's letter to the Church in 1632:
    This being granted, I think that in discussions of physical problems we ought to begin not from the authority of scriptural passages, but from sense-experiences and necessary demonstrations; for the Holy Bible and the phenomena of nature proceed alike from the divine Word, the former as the dictate of the Holy Ghost and the latter as the observant executrix of God’s commands. It is necessary for the Bible, in order to be accommodated to the understanding of every man, to speak many things which appear to differ from the absolute truth so far as the meaning of the words is concerned. But Nature, on the other hand, is inexorable and immutable; she never transgresses the laws imposed upon her, or cares a whit whether her abstruse reasons and methods of operation are understandable to men. For that reason it appears that nothing physical which sense-experience sets before our eyes, or which necessary demonstrations prove to us, ought to be called in question (much less condemned) upon the testimony of biblical passages which may have some different meaning beneath their words. For the Bible is not chained in every expression to conditions as strict as those which govern all physical effects; nor is God any less excellently revealed in Nature’s actions than in sacred statements of the Bible. Perhaps this is what Tertullian meant by these words. ‘We conclude that God is known first through Nature, and then again, more particularly, by doctrine; by Nature in His words, and by doctrine in His revealed word.

Dava Sobel, author of Galileo's Daughter, asserts regularly on the lecture circuit that Galileo's scientific research was based on his belief in a rational God who created an orderly world with natural laws rather than a series of unpredictable random phenomena.

Of course Galileo drew on the body of knowledge gathered by universities and libraries which were creations of the Church.

And how exactly do you reconcile this with the Vatican's judgment that "there is no way an opinion declared and defined contrary to divine Scripture may be probable" which used the same religion to reach precisely the opposite conclusion -- that inquiry should be eliminated by threat?
    The Catholic Church went down a blind alley for many years that virtually deified Aristotle. Scripture was interpreted according to Aristotle and therefore other interpretations of Scripture (including those of Galileo) were rejected out of hand. It is significant that Copernicus' works had to be published in Protestant lands because the Reformation had permitted non-Aristotlean interpretations of scripture to be advanced.

Galileo received initial support from many clergy (including the Pope) to conduct and publish his research. This earned him the enmity of his fellow scientists (whom he ridiculed mercilessly). Since science and the Church (in catholic lands) were hopelessly intertwined it was easier for his rivals to attack him on 'biblical' grounds than to attempt to refute his research.

However, we live in an age where history is rewritten as a story of goodies and baddies. For those who like this simplistic approach, the devout Galileo has become a proto-atheist scientific pioneer fighting against the evil Church that hated science. This is frustrating to those of us who realise that history is usually more complex and nuanced. I guess I had expected skeptics not to swallow popular mythology quite so easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Pyrrhonic

It was good to get some discussion going... There didn't seem to be too much difference with previous meetings so far as that went though.

Maybe more time and a more open seating arrangement?

It might be good to record these talks and debates, video or Mp3 downloads could be made available from the site?

This space gives some are for discussion, with downloads or possibly transcriptions it might encourage more membership and participation?

Richard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

I had hoped to go but I got distracted by the hippity hoppity music kids today are so mad about and ended up bippin' and a-boppin'. Keep us informed on more events Robin.

Advertisement