Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baptism in the Spirit...

• 01-05-2008 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I was reading an article last night on "Baptism in the Spirit". Does anyone have an experience of this? Sounds very interesting indeed.

God bless,
    Noel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I was reading an article last night on "Baptism in the Spirit". Does anyone have an experience of this? Sounds very interesting indeed.

God bless,
    Noel.

Hi Noel
    Yes, several years after my conversion I experienced something that is variously described as being 'baptised in the Spirit' or 'filled with the Spirit'. I found myself praying to God in a language I had never spoken before (praying in tongues) and from that moment on I found a new power to serve God and to resist temptation.
    I believe the official position of your Church is that Catholics are actually baptised with the Spirit at their confirmation and that any subsequent charismatic-type experience is simply a renewal of what happened at Confirmation - hence the Catholic Charismatic Renewal Movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

PDN wrote: »
    Hi Noel
    Yes, several years after my conversion I experienced something that is variously described as being 'baptised in the Spirit' or 'filled with the Spirit'. I found myself praying to God in a language I had never spoken before (praying in tongues) and from that moment on I found a new power to serve God and to resist temptation.
    I believe the official position of your Church is that Catholics are actually baptised with the Spirit at their confirmation and that any subsequent charismatic-type experience is simply a renewal of what happened at Confirmation - hence the Catholic Charismatic Renewal Movement.
    That's interesting PDN. How did that take place? On your own or in a group? Was there laying on of hands involved? And re speaking in tongues, I presume you fully understand the language you're speaking? Why does the Spirit give this gift, what purpose does it serve?

Thanks for the reply.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

kelly1 wrote: »
    That's interesting PDN. How did that take place? On your own or in a group? Was there laying on of hands involved? And re speaking in tongues, I presume you fully understand the language you're speaking? Why does the Spirit give this gift, what purpose does it serve?

Thanks for the reply.

God bless,
    Noel.

I'll give you the quick answer since I'm taking a few days break in Barcelona with my wife and have stuff to do that's more fun than posting on a message board. :)

I was on my own, no laying on of hands involved, no I don't know what I'm praying, and I believe it is a way that the Holy Spirit can enable me to pray accurately into situations where my own human knowledge is faulty and my prayers would be vague or misdirected.

Adios amigo!

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭TravelJunkie

PDN wrote: »
    I believe it is a way that the Holy Spirit can enable me to pray accurately into situations where my own human knowledge is faulty and my prayers would be vague or misdirected.

Adios amigo!

PDN is right, tongues is a way of intercession where the holy spirit intercedes on your behalf through you ... to explain... have you ever tried to pray something and you just couldn't find the right words to express the significancy of what you want to pray? If you start this prayer and then switch to tongues, you feel the weight of the prayer lift and it is the holy spirit who has then finished the prayer.
    It is part of the gift of intercession in my understanding.
    Another reason for this: prayer is a delicate thing isn't it? When we want an outcome we usually start to pray for things that we think will result in the outcome we desire (whether for ourselves or something else)... but these aren't necessarily Gods way to achieve the answering of the prayer. (Sorry I just realised that's what PDN was saying)

Anyhow, the point is that intercession with tongues is a very powerful prayer, especially in a group.

As for baptism in the holy spirit, well.... I was taught that you have to be born again, then baptised in water and then baptised in the spirit. So I think baptism of the spirit will only follow baptism in the water and that is a whole other discussion. Along this line of thought though, If you've done step a and b, then its time to ask God for baptism of the holy spirit, with an elder or on your own, God will certainly answer that prayer. You have to ask... another exercise of faith.

Advertisement