Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UK Championship 2014

Options
  • 24-11-2014 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭

Ronnie looking to make it five UK's to add to his five World's and five Masters. He hasn't won it since 2007 but as everybody has seen he's been in great form for the past couple of years and he is rightfully a warm favourite to life the trophy next week.

Ronnie is 5/2 with the bookies but a decent outside bet could be Shaun Murphy who has been in fantastic form over the past month. He's just after winning a PTC event in Germany (getting a maximum in the final) and is on record as saying he is playing his best snooker in a long time.

Always love watching this this tournament and should be a great two weeks of snooker. Starts tomorrow.

Oh, and Shaun Murphy is 16/1 by the way. Could be a decent each way bet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Section 1: Neil Robertson
    Section 2: Ricky Walden
    Section 3: Barry Hawkins
    Section 4: Ronnie O'Sullivan
    Section 5: Ding Junhui
    Section 6: Judd Trump
    Section 7: Shaun Murphy
    Section 8: Mark Selby

I'm guessing will be the Quarter-Finals. Maybe Stuart Bingham instead of Ricky Walden.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Sutton trying so hard to lose 6-0 here, what a legend. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Where are people watching this ? Don't see it on BBC1/2, red button or Eurosport

Where are people watching this ? Don't see it on BBC1/2, red button or Eurosport
    There's 128 players, 64 matches in round 1. I don't think they air round 1. BBC coverage starts on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

There's 128 players, 64 matches in round 1. I don't think they air round 1. BBC coverage starts on Saturday.

you'd think since it's one of the majors they'd at least have red button coverage

• Advertisement

you'd think since it's one of the majors they'd at least have red button coverage
    It'd be nice, but I think it was the same way last year, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,182 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Ronnie played with a broken ankle today and won 6-2 but says he'll pull out if it doesn't improve by Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

The week of Patrick Madden writing that article in The Irish Times, Morris dumps the world champion out of the UK Championship in the last-64. An entirely fair article, of course, but it's funny how these timely victories happen!

Interesting so far. My predictions were a little off, with Selby and Hawkins going out early. I suppose John Higgins would be the favourite to win section 3 now, instead of Hawkins. Selby's elimination makes it much more possible that Mark Williams will make it to the Quarter-Finals, if he can get past Stephen Maguire.

If Ronnie does pull out, I have no idea who'll win his section. Xiao Guodong?

If Ronnie does pull out, I have no idea who'll win his section. Xiao Guodong?
    He's out this evening for his second round anyway. 2-0 up against Peter Lines at the moment. Seems to be moving around the table relatively ok.

Link here if anybody wants to watch it.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/snooker/29611901

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Great to see Doherty winning a few rounds but he has a tough one next against Ricky Walden. They are playing this evening.

Ronnie giving out about the state of the tables and the whole four table set up after his victory against Lines yesterday. I know people will say it's just Ronnie moaning again but in fairness to him a fair few players have been complaining about the venue this week.

http://m.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/11636168.Ronnie_blasts__shocking__UK_Championship_conditions/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,505 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Morris going well again, 4-0 against Gilbert.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Morris going well again, 4-0 against Gilbert.

And he won 6-2. I hadn't beem following him, but will now.

Pity to see Ken Doherty go down 6-1 to Ricky Walden....just watched a bit of that, but Ken was disappointing. Nice to see him back in the action though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

vienne86 wrote: »
    And he won 6-2. I hadn't beem following him, but will now.

Pity to see Ken Doherty go down 6-1 to Ricky Walden....just watched a bit of that, but Ken was disappointing. Nice to see him back in the action though.

Unfortunately Ken is finished, he'll never again win anything considerable.
    At least we have Morris to follow now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

case885 wrote: »
    Unfortunately Ken is finished, he'll never again win anything considerable.
    At least we have Morris to follow now anyway.

He's only 45. Ray Reardon won the World Championship aged 46!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

Glenman wrote: »
    He's only 45. Ray Reardon won the World Championship aged 46!

Different times, different players. Reardon was at his peak in the 70's.
    Ken hasn't won a comp since the Malta cup in 2005 which says alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭Oasis_Dublin

Ken doesn't have belief in himself, that's his issue. When he's playing against players that he knows he can beat, he can make centuries (as he did earlier this week). But when he comes up against players he expects to lose against, he becomes far too negative. At this stage in his career, he'd be as well to try a few more things. The conservative approach has only seen him slip slowly down the rankings.

So who does Morris play in the next round?

So who does Morris play in the next round?

Plays the winner of tonight's match between William and Maguire on Thursday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

TV coverage is hopeless here ,only have two TV tables,you can't even see binghams match and it's 5-5 ATM ,nothing on Eurosport either and BBC just showing highlights from earlier

seanhynes wrote: »
    TV coverage is hopeless here ,only have two TV tables,you can't even see binghams match and it's 5-5 ATM ,nothing on Eurosport either and BBC just showing highlights from earlier

And there's damn all else on , so it's a pity. Live coverage not back till 7.

So Maguire won well tonight, and will be playing Morris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Fantastic 52 in the 11th frame from young Cahill to KO Ding he must have been a bag of nerves especially after dings big fightback from 5-1 down,some of the shots from Cahill were Higgins-esque in that final frame ,looks a player who has a very bright future in the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

He held his nerve and concentration well. Fair play to him.

seanhynes wrote: »
    Fantastic 52 in the 11th frame from young Cahill to KO Ding he must have been a bag of nerves especially after dings big fightback from 5-1 down,some of the shots from Cahill were Higgins-esque in that final frame ,looks a player who has a very bright future in the game :)

Yeah I only saw the last 2 frames. Cracking match, years since I stayed up so late to watch live snooker. Really enjoyed it.

Yeah I only saw the last 2 frames. Cracking match, years since I stayed up so late to watch live snooker. Really enjoyed it.

I started channel flicking when it was 5-1 and thought I'd just watch the end....Wow! What a claw back from Ding - he needed three snookers in frame 10 and managed to get a free ball to win that one. I was sure Cahill's brain would be scrambled at that stage and he'd be blown away. But nothing of the sort. Some play for an 18 year old. Did the commentators say he is Stephen Hendry's nephew?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Fantastic match that, credit to both players.

I started channel flicking when it was 5-1 and thought I'd just watch the end....Wow! What a claw back from Ding - he needed three snookers in frame 10 and managed to get a free ball to win that one. I was sure Cahill's brain would be scrambled at that stage and he'd be blown away. But nothing of the sort. Some play for an 18 year old. Did the commentators say he is Stephen Hendry's nephew?

Yeah Hendry is his uncle in law I think, married to his mother's sister.

• Advertisement

Yeah Hendry is his uncle in law I think, married to his mother's sister.

Apparently his mother is a good player too.

Lovely player - very impressive nerves for such a young guy.

Advertisement