Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on free ball

• 11-11-2014 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

If a player takes a retaken foul and snookers the other player, is that a free ball option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Would like to help but honestly not sure what you asking. 'takes a retaken foul' is particularly ambiguous.

Can you clarify the action?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Ashashi wrote: »
    If a player takes a retaken foul and snookers the other player, is that a free ball option?

This question is very strange, you will have to clarify it, I assume you mean that the player is retaking a shot where a 'miss' has been declared, if that is the case then a free ball could arise if there is another foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It's either 2 shots from where you are while nominating the ball you are going to hit (you can pot your own ball with this), or else you can go above the baulk with the white but it's only 1 shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

callaway92 wrote: »
    It's either 2 shots from where you are while nominating the ball you are going to hit (you can pot your own ball with this), or else you can go above the baulk with the white but it's only 1 shot.

You're talking about pool. They're talking about snooker.

OP, I suggest a 9-iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

You're talking about pool. They're talking about snooker.

OP, I suggest a 9-iron.

I assumed the op was on about pool. He doesn't say though. Poorly written question either way :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

Sorry lads, was a rushed question on a night out!

Basically, I asked a player to retake a shot having fouled. Upon retaking it, he snookered me. I was wondering if it is possible to declare a free ball, as my path to the last red was closed off. I played on as if there was no free ball but I was wondering if a free ball situation would arise?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

If you're talking about pool; your opponent fouled and then you were "Foul Snookered". You are allowed to nominate one of his balls or the black ball and play it instead. Or you can move the ball to the baulk i.e. top of the table and play from there.

Technically he's not allowed to retake his shot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,839 ✭✭✭bren2001

Ashashi wrote: »
    Sorry lads, was a rushed question on a night out!

Basically, I asked a player to retake a shot having fouled. Upon retaking it, he snookered me. I was wondering if it is possible to declare a free ball, as my path to the last red was closed off. I played on as if there was no free ball but I was wondering if a free ball situation would arise?

I am going to assume you are talking about snooker. You still are not clear, so I'll give both answers.

If on the retaken shot, he fouls again i.e. doesnt hit a red or hits another colour , then yes, you have a free ball or can ask him to retake the shot (assuming snookers are not required).

If on the retaken shot, he does not foul and you are snookered, then no. You are not entitled to a free ball as he did not foul.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

bren2001 wrote: »
    I am going to assume you are talking about snooker. You still are not clear, so I'll give both answers.

If on the retaken shot, he fouls again i.e. doesnt hit a red or hits another colour , then yes, you have a free ball or can ask him to retake the shot (assuming snookers are not required).

If on the retaken shot, he does not foul and you are snookered, then no. You are not entitled to a free ball as he did not foul.

That answers it, cheers!

Advertisement