Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

If you are pregnant , don't bother with MY school

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Biggins wrote: »
    Frankly I think the person that rejected the young girl is an bigoted idiot who is as far away from being a charitable, helpful nice person as they could possibly be.
    What an asshole!
    What experience in running schools (including responsibility for hundreds of children) YOU have to make such statements sir?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I thought the catholics were big on wimmenz getting pregnant? :confused:

No pleasing some people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Old Tom wrote: »
    What experience in running schools (including responsibility for hundreds of children) YOU have to make such statements sir?

Aaa.. I'm a qualified teacher and have taught, amid other things.
    Does that count sir?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

omega666 wrote: »
    People seems to be missing the part in the article where she has already dropped out of two schools out of her own choice because she didnt like them. So there’s nothing stopping her getting an education except herself.

I agree with the school on this case also, they should be able to decide themselves on who they want to take,
    for example if you’re a troublemaking delinquent with a history of getting kicked out of schools then the school shouldn’t be forced to take them.

I don’t have children but im sure if I did I wouldn’t want them being influenced by anto with the criminal record or shown how glamorous being
    a teenage mother is.

Its one thing being denied a place because you might pose a threat to staff or students. Its another being denied a place because you don't stand up to the morals of a principal.

What next? Kids being denied places because they are gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

People seems to be missing the part in the article where she has already dropped out of two schools out of her own choice because she didnt like them. So there’s nothing stopping her getting an education except herself.

I agree with the school on this case also, they should be able to decide themselves on who they want to take,
    for example if you’re a troublemaking delinquent with a history of getting kicked out of schools then the school shouldn’t be forced to take them.

I don’t have children but im sure if I did I wouldn’t want them being influenced by anto with the criminal record or shown how glamorous being
    a teenage mother is.

Actually you're missing the part where she decided after getting pregnant that school was important and she wished to attend. She went to school throughout her pregnancy and she had home tuition while she was on maternity leave. She then went back to school once her maternity leave finished with the aim of completing her education.

She was really making an effort. Maybe the pregnancy was the wake up call she needed to grow up and take responsibility? It wouldn't be the first time an unplanned pregnancy was the making of someone.
    If she was enrolled and then expelled for being troublesome the school would be within their rights. But to refuse her entry stating that the school is not a haven for young single mothers is disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

a teenage mother is.

Regardless of why she left two other schools - we might assume there was problems? - every person HAS the right to an education and frankly, if a person is STILL willing to try to get an education after trying yet again - they certainly deserve to get it and not stopped by out of date bigoted idiots!
    ...shown how glamorous being a teenage mother is.
    Seriously?
    What planet are you living on?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Aaa.. I'm a qualified teacher and have taught, amid other things.
    Does that count sir?

A fine retort sir, match point.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You know , the sad thing is , the person who runs this school ( and is the school founder ) is teaching young children their views

So we will have people leaving this school thinking it's correct to ostracise a young girl because she has fallen pregnant .

This is EXACTLY the view that allowed the horrible laundries / homes etc for un married mothers to thrive.

This girl , was trying to get an education , trying to make a life for her and her child and was knocked back by this person

And the worst thing about this , WE pay for this bigot to run this this school .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I wonder how different Christianity would be if Mary had been treated like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 lkdsl

equal status act doesn't apply to Catholic schools, I don't think... Though correct me if I'm wrong....

There is some scope for not applying all parts of the Act but the Act still applies. If you read Emily Logan's report you will see that she questions whether they can rely on the exemptions in the Act as they have no policies justifying that position.
    Even if the school's position is justifiable, they still have to have the proper structures and policies in place, which they do not. Regardless of where you stand on the decision in this case, the school does not appear to be well managed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The girl should just claim it was immaculate conception. Seeing as Catholics have no problem believing in that kind of stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

humanji wrote: »
    I wonder how different Christianity would be if Mary had been treated like this.

Was she a teenager?

It's strange but I only discovered quite recently that she wasn't actually married to Joseph. Funny how that is glossed over.

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Was she a teenager?

It's strange but I only discovered quite recently that she wasn't actually married to Joseph. Funny how that is glossed over.

Surely everyone knew that :confused:

Mary was a teenager - I think 12 or 13 if memory serves me correctly.

http://www.associationofcatholicpriests.ie/2011/03/feast-of-st-joseph-husband-of -the-blessed-virgin-mary/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

humanji wrote: »
    I wonder how diyfferent Christianity would be if Mary had been treated like this.

Was she a teenager?

I learnt that in primary school....

I wonder how many people who bitch about pregnant teenagers on moral grounds remember that part..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Free the Gloucester 18

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Regardless of why she left two other schools - we might assume there was problems? - every person HAS the right to an education and frankly, if a person is STILL willing to try to get an education after trying yet again - they certainly deserve to get it and not stopped by out of date bigoted idiots!

Seriously?
    What planet are you living on?

Course she has the right to education, it dosent mean she can attend whatever school she want though. If she was refused from every school
    she applied to then you would have a point. There's plently of schools she
    can get educated in if she wants to.

Are you really trying to claim that teenagers are not easily influenced by thier peers? The school dosent want thier students to think it perfectly acceptable
    to be a teenage mother. I have no problem with that thinking tbh. Would you
    want your teenage daughter to be a single mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,358 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Was she a teenager?

She was between the ages of 13 to 19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

I don't think it should be imposed upon them to accept her (doubt she'd want to go there now anyway), that's their choice in a democracy. But what a bunch of stupid, judgemental c*nts. What's excluding her going to do for any girl who does get pregnant in that school? Hardly going to coming forward are they? Are they going to get expelled? If every school takes that approach, what's that going to mean for the rest of society? Where is she going to go without an education? The dole office to join the 1000s of others on a lifetime of welfare. And she shouldn't be getting pregnant, no. But she's there now and to exclude her is f***ing stupid and absolutely counter productive for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Im all against social welfare scrounging single mothers so I cant understand why on earth is a state school trying its best to create another one.

Give her an education and with it the possibility of paying for her own home, broadband, sky tv etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

There are much bigger problems in our education system and public services as a whole, than one young one who is up the duff being refused to school.

i couldnt give 2 f*cks about her to be honest and i dont see why people say as its a state funded school, that we, the tax payer, have a right to be angry.

i pay taxes and i dont care whether they let her in or not.

Course she has the right to education, it dosent mean she can attend whatever school she want though. If she was refused from every school

Are you really trying to claim that teenagers are not easily influenced by thier peers? The school dosent want thier students to think it perfectly acceptable

Where do you get the idea that allowing this girl the right to continue her education is somehow condoning the fact she had a baby?

And surely if she goes to another school there will be kids there too so won't they be as likely to be influenced by her?

Haven't really thought it through have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Did she try to get into any other school?

She wasn't refused from other schools. She was accepted initially by this school (which was her first choice because she had friends there and she wanted to attend a school outside the city). She was accepted and then her acceptance was revoked when the mother advised them she was pregnant.
    She went back to them again and was accepted and then again the acceptance was revoked because she was a young single mother.

I wouldn't choose for my child to become a teenage single parent or a teen parent full stop.
    But if she did and she stepped up to the plate and wanted to go back to school and provide a decent life for her child, then I would be proud of her for doing her best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There are much bigger problems in our education system and public services as a whole, than one young one who is up the duff being refused to school.

i couldnt give 2 f*cks about her to be honest and i dont see why people say as its a state funded school, that we, the tax payer, have a right to be angry.

i pay taxes and i dont care whether they let her in or not.

So? The thread isn't called ''how does homerjay2005 feel about a girl not being allowed into a school because she's pregnant''.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Here, lads. Claims that teenagers are going to go out and get pregnant en masse if their friends do are rather unlikely. Now, maybe it's just me, but I don't remember being completely fúcking braindead in school. The girl is being discriminated against and while I'm normally all about freedom of association and such, this really is not sitting well with me. All such a policy is ever going to do is damage or ruin what might have been productive, constructive lives. Nothing more likely to contribute to exactly the sort of problems they bemoan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

I can't see where people are coming from saying that the presence of a teenage mother in the school would glamourise the life of a young mother. If anything, most sensible girls would likely come to the realisation that being responsible for a child at such a young age is a nightmare.

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

According to the latest info on the story, the girl was refused admission to the school twice. Once when she was pregnant and then after the child was born.
    The girl applied twice to the lay-owned Catholic-ethos school - first in September 2009 when she was pregnant at 16 and again the following year after her baby was born.

Link

So it's pregnant girls and single mothers that are not allowed to attend the school.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

So? The thread isn't called ''how does homerjay2005 feel about a girl not being allowed into a school because she's pregnant''.

whats the purpose of the thread then? last time i checked, this was a discussion forum, a place where normally people give their opinions.

you care about it, i dont.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

eviltwin wrote: »
    Where do you get the idea that allowing this girl the right to continue her education is somehow condoning the fact she had a baby?

And surely if she goes to another school there will be kids there too so won't they be as likely to be influenced by her?

Haven't really thought it through have you?

It condoning the fact because it's comminicating to teenagers that it a acceptable/normal everyday suitation to be in.

Who other schools accept is thier choice.

The girl is not being refused an education, she can get educated in countless schools, her life isnt going to be doomed for enternity because she was refused from one particular school.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement