Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Biomedical science help

• 23-11-2014 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

I want to study biomedical science when im older, im in cork and i want to travel anyway.. Theres 3 courses approved by the AMLS in ireland in which one can work in a hospital lab, which i want. In ucc/cit the points are 520 and in gmit in galway the points are 410.. So whats the difference does anyone know!?
    If anyone has done the course tell me about the job prospects, how easy is it to get work and in america are there people needed ? Also is it a hard course..
    Can i do medical science in gmit and then do a masters in ucc in biomedical science?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mmahony18

Conaaaa wrote: »
    I want to study biomedical science when im older, im in cork and i want to travel anyway.. Theres 3 courses approved by the AMLS in ireland in which one can work in a hospital lab, which i want. In ucc/cit the points are 520 and in gmit in galway the points are 410.. So whats the difference does anyone know!?
    If anyone has done the course tell me about the job prospects, how easy is it to get work and in america are there people needed ? Also is it a hard course..
    Can i do medical science in gmit and then do a masters in ucc in biomedical science?!

Hello, I'm currently in first year in biomed in the ucc/cit course. While I mightn't be able to answer all your questions, especially the work related ones, I can give you some insight into the course here in cork.

There are a good number of job prospects for the course though I'm not sure what it's like to try and find one now, in first year you do a module called introduction to biomed, it's definitely my favourite one as it gives you a taste of all the different opportunities you have. You can study microbiology, clinical chemistry, haematology, histology (forget last one we haven't done it yet sorry!)

As for the course so far, you'll probably hear people say this who have/ are doing it: intense. It is slightly harder than what I expected, especially a particular module called cell biology which is extremely detailed. If you have a passion for biology I'd definitely recommend it if you can see yourself enjoying working in a lab or research. The labs are the best part of the course by far, all the experiments you do relate to working in the lab such as using aseptic techniques in microbiology and so on.

If I missed anything feel free to ask me more, but I am only a lowly first year but I hope I gave you a better idea of the course! If you feel it isn't for you my other choices were biological and chemical sciences which is a good course if you're not sure which science you'd like to branch off in, genetics is another one but again it's up to you to make that choice! :D

One last thing, the whole travelling from ucc to cit isn't that bad, for us anyway we are in ucc on Mondays until 11:00 am and then we get the bus out to cit and spend the day there, we are fully in ucc Tuesdays Wednesdays and Thursdays, Fridays we are in cit all day so it's not too bad :) but if you want to travel like you said look into Dublin too they have a course I'm fairly sure, as do Galway like you said but I could have sworn Galway went up to 540 unless I'm thinking of a different place!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The difference in points reflects the number of people who apply for the course. It doesn't tell you anything about the quality of the courses, simply the demand for it.
    Thus, almost all courses in Dublin are much higher points than exactly the same course elsewhere.
    Supply and demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

Ya its 540 in nuig but youcant work in a lab then! But you can for 410 in gmit

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

Conaaaa wrote: »
    Ya its 540 in nuig but you cant work in a lab then! But you can for 410 in gmit

Most people who study it at NUIG end up working in commercial labs, moving onto PHDs or they use it as a stepping stone to Pharmacology and Medicine in Ireland or abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Conaaaa

What about gmit tho??!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭aunt aggie

I don't know anyone who studied in GMIT. You said you wanted to study an AMLS approved course. I was just pointing out some reasons why people I knew had studied at NUIG and what they had moved onto after, including commercial lab work. I imagine if the GMIT course is at the same degree level, there would be similar outcomes but I can't say for certain.

Maybe you should contact GMIT to get a better idea.

Advertisement