Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Poker League

• 19-06-2011 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Just need your help here on this one! I'm organizing a poker league this summer and was wondering how much should i ask for buy-in?

At the moment there are 7 people attending but im sure there will be another few and we should have two tables of 7! At the end of each night there will be prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd on each table but 20% of the pot will be taken for a final prize. There will be points system then for each player e.g 1st = 10 points, 2nd = 9 points and so on! Then the top 4 (or so) players with the most points will get the money from the overall pot!

How much should I ask for buy in if there are 2 tables with 7 people on each and also how much should I give for 1st 2nd and 3rd each night?

Thanks!

Buy-in price? 1 vote

€5
    0%
    €6
    0%
    €7
    0%
    €8
    0%
    €9
    100%
    OldSchool94 1 vote
    €10
    0%
    €10+
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Not sure the holding back 20% each night works.
    Like if it gets to the last game and I've no chance of being placed in the Top 4, then I'm not going to be turning up for a game where 20% of the buy-in is out of my reach.
    It would also discourage people from joining in halfway through, and house games need fresh blood as initial players lose interest.
    If you really want this 'overall prize' then you are best frontloading it, like if the buyin is €10 then take an extra €5 for each of the first 2 nights only and nothing for the rest of the nights.

Your poll options are a bit funny if you don't mind me saying so, like what is the actual difference between a €8 and a €9 buyin such that they merit a different poll option - and on what basis could I pick one or the other?

As for payout on the night, 50/30/20% is fine if you get 10+ people, 65/35 if you get less than 10.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

I agree with above about the lack of interest if they can't qualify.

You might be better off doing something like a ranking system for each game, depending on how many players on each table, try to keep it even for both eg 7; 7 points for the winner down to a single point for the first person eliminated, then for your "grand final", everybody gets to play, but the stack sizes will be based on points accumulated, depending on the demoninations you use you can work this out for yourself. Buy in €10 would make a healthy prizepool for your final! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hey op, yeah I've run a few of these and I would echo what the two previous posters have said that in order to avoid the situation where people can no longer qualify its best to have a system whereby every player plays in the final night but their starting stack is based on how many points they earned during the league.

I used to have a €20 buyin, with €5 held for final night, played over 10 weeks and for every point earned that player would have 175 chips at the final, the points I used were - 2pts for each game played and additional points for final table as follows 1st - 20pts, 2nd - 16pts, 3rd - 13pts, 4th - 10pts, 5th - 8pts, 6th - 6pts, 7th 4pts, 8th - 3 pts and 9th 2pts.

I also had a condition that in order to qualify for the final you must play a minimum of 5 league games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭OldSchool94

€9
    As for payout on the night, 50/30/20% is fine if you get 10+ people, 65/35 if you get less than 10.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes.
    Thanks for your help! Will do for sure :)
    Buy in €10 would make a healthy prizepool for your final! :)
    Cheers for the help! Thanks!
    Hey op, yeah I've run a few of these and I would echo what the two previous posters have said that in order to avoid the situation where people can no longer qualify its best to have a system whereby every player plays in the final night but their starting stack is based on how many points they earned during the league.

I used to have a €20 buyin, with €5 held for final night, played over 10 weeks and for every point earned that player would have 175 chips at the final, the points I used were - 2pts for each game played and additional points for final table as follows 1st - 20pts, 2nd - 16pts, 3rd - 13pts, 4th - 10pts, 5th - 8pts, 6th - 6pts, 7th 4pts, 8th - 3 pts and 9th 2pts.

I also had a condition that in order to qualify for the final you must play a minimum of 5 league games

Thanks a million @premierstone !! I found this post very very helpfull :) Thanks again :D

Advertisement