Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boiler service for 39 euro

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

There is no law against anybody charging what they like for their services but I haven't heard of a Council charging for it. All the ones I know do it for free & it is down to the engineer whether they carry out a C or an E. Most only do a C so they can fit in more in one day. Councils generally only pay in the region of €35.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭corkplumber

BOILER CHARGE IS A ‘RENT INCREASE IN DISGUISE’- CLLR. THOMAS GOULD
    Sinn Féin Cork City Cllr. Thomas Gould has criticised the decision by Cork City Council to impose a charge of €2 per week on all local authority tenants to pay for the servicing of central heating boilers Cllr. Gould described this as an increase in rent not an additional charge. In the past Cork City Council serviced boilers every two years and the cost of this was included in the rent. Due to new Government legislation which came into effect on 1st February, Cork City Council is compelled to ensure that all council properties have adequate central heating. Cllr. Gould outline two main issues with what he is calling a rent increase in disguise. “I do not believe that the €2 weekly charge which amounts to €104 per year should be forced upon the tenants. This is a cost that the council should be responsible for but due to the cut backs to Cork City Council Local Government funding, it is now being passed on unfairly onto the tenants.” http://thecork.ie/2013/02/13/boiler-charge-is-a-rent-increase-in-disguise-cllr-thomas-gould/

I didn't know that.
    I wonder will all CC's bring that in. Most of the ones I know service annually.

Sign of the times. Our ginger leader wants every last drop of blood.
    What he doesn't realise that veins without blood collapse!

but the question I am asking shane is

if some tenants got and paid myself to do the service and I issued the certs to the council. the tenant be saving 30 euro plus. but council states you must use their contractor.

is this legally binding? since the tenant and not the landlord is paying for the service

Very good question.
    The boiler is owned by the Council & you will probably find in the T & C's of the tenancy agreement that the Council must service the boiler either annually or bi-annually.
    The Council will ensure that their contractor has all the paperwork in order, i's dotted & t's crossed. This means that their ass is covered.
    They have no way of auditing your PL & other criteria, etc. so if something were to happen caused by you, the tenant can sue you & the Council.
    Working for most Public Bodies, contractors must name & indemnify the LA from any claims in their insurance policy due to their negligence. This even extends to vehicle insurance.

It is therefore much easier to audit these requirements from their own list of tendered contractors.

It could also start some shifty business with contractors knocking on tenant's doors touting for business. A whole new problem could arise.

But you do indeed have a valid point.

• Advertisement

thanks for your rely shane.

unless your stationary carries brown envelopes, your pissing against the wind. If you get my meaning. BG RGII all the same.

I would not go that far but certainly the system needs to change. The small guys like us are always going to be at a significant disadvantage.

We voted for our representatives within RGII so we need them to work for us & not disappear into the background.
    Let's hope they contact us with their details so we can exchange our concerns. A large movement of substance is harder to stop than a trickle.

sorry shane. im probably been a bit harsh . having a bad day.

but to be honest I lost all faith in RGII a long time ago. Only because I HAVE TO. I pay the membership. I have no other alternative.

There is a need for an RGII. It just to be a better one.
    There will also always be a need for good responsible engineers. The bad ones need to be re-trained.
    RGII needs to do a hell of lot more in our industry but so do we. I know more "gas engineers" who don't possess a FG analyiser & multi-meter than those who do. They fault find by plugging in a new part.... It is their choice not to invest in their knowledge & in their business.
    RGII should ensure that they do, so the improvements needs to come from both sides.
    RGII also needs to educate the public in gas safety awareness.
    Then & only then can a customer have confidence in the engineer they elect to carry out works for them instead of playing pin the tail on the donkey.

Shane. I agree 100% with you. But I wont be holding my breath in the mean time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

I saw a plumber's van in London ( Hindu or Shiek plumber) on the van's side it said, which I thought was good,
    "YOU HAVE TRIED THE COWBOYS, NOW TRY THE INDIANS"
    All I can say guys is let's pray to Allah, as I think nothing else works !!

scudo2 wrote: »
    I saw a plumber's van in London ( Hindu or Shiek plumber) on the van's side it said, which I thought was good,
    "YOU HAVE TRIED THE COWBOYS, NOW TRY THE INDIANS"
    All I can say guys is let's pray to Allah, as I think nothing else works !!

BRILLIANT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

To Cork plumber & 007 ( who ever yu are! and where ever yu are)
    In relation to Cork County Council charging € 2 per week for boiler service..............
    The internet is f.in great. Google Cork City Council Tennants Hand book, look up page 9, look under plumbing repairs !!!
    It's Illegal for the council to force tennants to pay €2 x 52 a year according to there own rules and regulations.
    Get back onto me if you like or PM me your details. (curiosity killed da puddy cat)
    As you probarly know I only do oil but to anybody who does GAS (even anywhere in the country), if this €2 rule is enforced then all private/small operators are loseing out on 50-80% of your clients. This is to important to ignore for ALL RGII service engineere and this surely is a topic to prove if RGII top brass are any good as they should be the ones fighting for this in our corner. Anybody know how to get them acting on this matter? Thanks

scudo2 wrote: »
    To Cork plumber & 007 ( who ever yu are! and where ever yu are)
    In relation to Cork County Council charging € 2 per week for boiler service..............
    The internet is f.in great. Google Cork City Council Tennants Hand book, look up page 10, look under plumbing repairs !!!
    It's Illegal for the council to force tennants to pay €2 x 52 a year according to there own rules and regulations.
    Get back onto me if you like or PM me your details. (curiosity killed da puddy cat)
    As you probarly know I only do oil but to anybody who does GAS (even anywhere in the country), if this €2 rule is enforced then all private/small operators are loseing out on 50-80% of your clients. This is to important to ignore for ALL RGII service engineere and this surely is a topic to prove if RGII top brass are any good as they should be the ones fighting for this in our corner. Anybody know how to get them acting on this matter? Thanks

What the hell are you on about????

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A bit off topic here I think...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement