Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

positron wrote: »
    johnybean, Claytonie and others, I was looking for a NAS setup for a while, but this looks ideal for what I want to do. A few questions though...

* Did you guys go for the additional 3 year warranty for £20 - sounds like great value to get 2 additional years of warranty for 20 sterling.
    I didn't bother with this option
    * I hope to achieve the following with this once setup:
    - share couple of hard disks on the wireless network so that laptops, PS3 and smart TV can read and play media including 1080p mkvs (DLNA?)
    - be able to copy photos and stuff from laptops whenever
    - run uTorrent or something similar
    - Wake on Wireless etc to save power
    These boxes are designed to run 24/7 and are very low powered so I wouldn't worry too much about turning the server on and off, you can set the hard drives to spin down after a period of inactivity which is a more efficient method of saving power.

How much of this is feasible, perhaps basic Windows 7 as OS?
    As Nforce said, all of the above can be achieved fairly handy, I think I might go ahead and get Windows 7 just for ease of use but I might just mess around with a few OS's for a while as I am in no panic to get this set up, I just wanted to get it at the reduced price, probably wont get it up and running for a month or 2. Another user on her called PogMoThoin had a pretty sweet setup detailed here(Its a couple of posts down) He set up his microserver with Win7 due to ease of use. Unfortunately he has since closed his account but you can go back through his older posts for some good ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I'd advise any new purchasers to take the time to read this thread from start to finish. There is tons of useful information beyond the questions that are being asked here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

Jonathan wrote: »
    I have 2 * 1GB EEC DDR3 DIMMS that originally came with my Microserver if you are interested.

He should replace his with yours? Is yours magic? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

stimpson wrote: »
    Damn you bargian alerts - I don't need another one, but I want to buy one cause it's such a bargain.

LOL, same here. I'd given up on getting a second tower when I had one on back order with Misco for over a month in July/August. I was sort of relieved that the decision had been taken out of my hands and that I wouldn't have to explain to the missus why we're getting another PC in the house. Now I've just had to order one through ServersPlus (free delivery via PM and the MSFREENDUK voucher code). At that price (£203.94, not even counting the cashback voucher), it would be rude not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Just got word that my server is despatched!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

I placed an order just past midnight and order status was "SHIPPED" when I checked around 11 am. They are fairly quick alright.

PS: Darn darn darn, forgot to use that voucher code last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭positron

Jonathan wrote: »
    I have 2 * 1GB EEC DDR3 DIMMS that originally came with my Microserver if you are interested.

Thanks Jonathan, I will take one if mine comes with a 2GB DIMM and a slot to spare. Will come back. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have mine set up using Ubuntu Server LTS (12.04 I believe) if I was setting it up again I would just use Ubuntu Desktop LTS as I installed XFCE as a desktop environment anyways and it was a decent amount of effort and I dont think its as good as the one that comes with ubuntu. Go for the LTS as a regular version constantly looks for updates.

Some things I have set up on it (feel free to ask me for more information on anything)
    • Network Share (SMB)
    • VNC Server
    • Web Server
    • Plex Server
    • PS3 Media Server
    • Subsonic Server
    • Qbittorrent client - (I am using a torrent RSS feed so it automatically downloads things when they become available, Qbittorrent allows you to set up rules to make it download certain files to different folders, I also have it set up to email me when a file is finished. It has a web interface aswell, so you can go to it on your laptop or whatever and add a file then you can shutdown your laptop or whatever. Also if you have an android phone have a look at "Transdroid", its really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

where would be the best/cheapest place to pick up a set of disks for this server - great thread by the way, very informative

• Registered Users Posts: 38 twigsirl

"This promotion is only available to end user customers based in the UK"

So no £100 rebate to us here in Ireland at all?

• Advertisement

twigsirl wrote: »
    "This promotion is only available to end user customers based in the UK"

So no £100 rebate to us here in Ireland at all?

If you email the address on the form they will send you out a euro claim form.

where would be the best/cheapest place to pick up a set of disks for this server - great thread by the way, very informative

What size drives are you looking for? I like Amazon for free delivery and no hassle returns. I'm sure you can find the same drive cheaper elsewhere. hardwareversand.de are popular.

You can get WD green drives cheap enough, but I paid a few bob more and got WD reds - designed for NAS boxes and a 3 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Will prob start with 2 x 2tb ones initially - , I usually get my stuff off Amazon also, will have a good trawl around there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I bought 3 3TB Western Digital Red drives from www.dabs.ie - very quiet and very reliable so far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

I've been buying one of these every week or two, albeit direct from Amazon, can't find the Amazon listing right now. My N54L has 4 in it now, and I've another 2 in a rack-mounted box in Cork Internet Exchange. Haven't had any problems so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006H32Q3S

One slot still available in the 54. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you email the address on the form they will send you out a euro claim form.

Can someone attach a form they received? Or are the unique to the claimant?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 studentgrant

Has anyone received there’s yet via parcel motel? Only I was wondering with packaging would it fit in there containers, the largest is 41 X 38 X 64 cm

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭kaltz

Yep. I got mine throughout parcel motel and it fits in one of the bigger lockers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 studentgrant

Thanks kaltz, think I might have to order one. Serverrplus seem the cheapest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

depending on what you're looking for, scan.co.uk, overclockers.co.uk, amazon.co.uk, dabs.ie, elara.ie, komplett.ie just pcik the drive you want and see who has it cheapest (don't forget delivery costs) on any given day, as it can fluctuate.

if you're not in an urgent rush, give flubit a go. tell them what you want and how many and they'll usually find it cheaper within 48 hours.

personally, depending on what you'd be using them for and your budget, WD's are always a good bet, red, blue, green or black, look into them and pick your colour based on what your plans are for it. :)

i just bought seven 4tb hitachi deskstars which are pretty popular with the enthusiast NAS crowd at the moment (bought in 3 batches from different sellers over several months) and quite reasonable price wise, but two of them have a habit of crapping themselves (a lot of I/O errors) on long, heavy write operations for some reason which is causing them to drop out of the RAID6 volume they are members of, so i might have to RMA them which is a bit of a bitch. :(

oddly though though, scans show up clean on both disks and they rebuild fine if i pull them and then put them back in again, but i'm not feeling the love with them. the problem is, i'm not sure if an RMA will get them replaced or not if they look to be functioning normally. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭claytonie

For anyone looking for the Ireland Claim Form here it is.

I have mine set up using Ubuntu Server LTS (12.04 I believe) if I was setting it up again I would just use Ubuntu Desktop LTS as I installed XFCE as a desktop environment anyways and it was a decent amount of effort and I dont think its as good as the one that comes with ubuntu. Go for the LTS as a regular version constantly looks for updates.

Some things I have set up on it (feel free to ask me for more information on anything)
    • Network Share (SMB)
    • VNC Server
    • Web Server
    • Plex Server
    • PS3 Media Server
    • Subsonic Server
    • Qbittorrent client - (I am using a torrent RSS feed so it automatically downloads things when they become available, Qbittorrent allows you to set up rules to make it download certain files to different folders, I also have it set up to email me when a file is finished. It has a web interface aswell, so you can go to it on your laptop or whatever and add a file then you can shutdown your laptop or whatever. Also if you have an android phone have a look at "Transdroid", its really good.

Just wondering what way you have your drives setup with regards to backups? RAID or something similar. Also, did you have to install extra RAM for the Plex server or does the lightweight OS compensate for any extra RAM demands?

johnybean wrote: »
    Just wondering what way you have your drives setup with regards to backups? RAID or something similar. Also, did you have to install extra RAM for the Plex server or does the lightweight OS compensate for any extra RAM demands?

RAID is not a backup solution! It offers redundancy, but if 2 of your drive go tits up you're screwed. If you have 2 identical drives in a RAID setup, they have similar characteristics, and a similar working life - they can fail at the same time (this is advice from a sysadmin in my old company). I'm using unRAID, which isn't RAID, but has a parity drive so you can rebuild after a single drive failure. If you lose 2 drives, you can't rebuild, but you still keep the data on your other drives.

For backup, I have a CrashPlan unlimited sub, so all my photos, music, docs etc. get backed up to the cloud. I'm not too pushed about the rest of my media. You can use the Crashplan client to backup to a friends PC (it all gets encrypted) over the web too, so you can have an offsite backup for free.

I have 8 gigs of RAM, because RAM is cheap and you can never have enough RAM. I would suggest 4GB minimum regardless of the OS.

RAID is not a backup solution! It offers redundancy, but if 2 of your drive go tits up you're screwed. If you have 2 identical drives in a RAID setup, they have similar characteristics, and a similar working life - they can fail at the same time (this is advice from a sysadmin in my old company). I'm using unRAID, which isn't RAID, but has a parity drive so you can rebuild after a single drive failure. If you lose 2 drives, you can't rebuild, but you still keep the data on your other drives.

For backup, I have a CrashPlan unlimited sub, so all my photos, music, docs etc. get backed up to the cloud. I'm not too pushed about the rest of my media. You can use the Crashplan client to backup to a friends PC (it all gets encrypted) over the web too, so you can have an offsite backup for free.

I have 8 gigs of RAM, because RAM is cheap and you can never have enough RAM. I would suggest 4GB minimum regardless of the OS.

Thanks Stimpson,

I meant to say UnRAID :o
    Dont intend using RAID myself. I have been looking at unRAID since one of your earlier posts and its definitely a good option. witnessmenow just piqued my interest with his talk of Ubuntu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Has anyone received there’s yet via parcel motel? Only I was wondering with packaging would it fit in there containers, the largest is 41 X 38 X 64 cm
    No, you have to collect it at their depot. I had an issue when mine was delivered last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Currently I do no backups (I know, but hear me out!)

There is only one thing I want to backup, and that is photos. Everything else (Music, Movies etc) is replaceable. Currently they are backed up on a couple of externals. What I plan to do in the future is set up RSync to clone my photos folder onto a separate disk. Alternatively I might use a cloud based solution

I have not played around with plex too much, I only installed it a week or two ago. It streams SD to my phone perfectly, but I havent tested HD yet. I do plan to upgrade from stock RAM shortly

Hope that helps!

Thanks Stimpson,

I meant to say UnRAID :o
    Dont intend using RAID myself. I have been looking at unRAID since one of your earlier posts and its definitely a good option. witnessmenow just piqued my interest with his talk of Ubuntu.

One thing about unRAID, is you really need to install Plex to a cache drive to run properly, and that means buying a licence.

There is only one thing I want to backup, and that is photos. Everything else (Music, Movies etc) is replaceable. Currently they are backed up on a couple of externals. What I plan to do in the future is set up RSync to clone my photos folder onto a separate disk. Alternatively I might use a cloud based solution

What if your house burns down? Offsite backups FTW!

I have not played around with plex too much, I only installed it a week or two ago. It streams SD to my phone perfectly, but I havent tested HD yet. I do plan to upgrade from stock RAM shortly

Hope that helps!
    One thing about unRAID, is you really need to install Plex to a cache drive to run properly, and that means buying a licence.

Thanks for the replies lads. I think a bit of trial and error shall ensue over the next few weekends :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭ Foster Large Orangutan

Hope that helps!

To be honest, that's not much of a backup. One fire or break-in, and everything's gone. Offsite or cloud is the way to go.

Advertisement