Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Meh, I cared more about my comfort while running than what anyone else thought. Another fan of Nike dri-fit here, very very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I've the addidas clima-cool shorts like, was just wondering if the light cotton leggins would be ok underneath do I'm no out in bare legs! I wouldnt go out in just running leggings, nobody deserves that :pac:

Really?! Why not?? I mean leggings like these:

mm9u8s26JgF0dWFFcIsuu2A.jpg

Would you not wear them? They are very comfortable and no one really cares what you're wearing when you're going running!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

leahyl wrote: »
    Really?! Why not?? I mean leggings like these:

mm9u8s26JgF0dWFFcIsuu2A.jpg

Would you not wear them? They are very comfortable and no one really cares what you're wearing when you're going running!

Tbh I just wouldn't feel comfortable, very exposed. And if I'm not comfortable I can't let go and just run!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wouldn't wear cotton leggings but you can get cheapo running leggings in dunnnes and could wear a long t shirt or shorts over them if you would feel more comfortable.

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    Tbh I just wouldn't feel comfortable, very exposed. And if I'm not comfortable I can't let go and just run!

Fair enough I understand ;) It's all about being comfortable!! :)

• Advertisement

I once again haven't been out in ages. Last week was absolutely hectic and now I am back abroad and back at work I needed a few days rest. Hopefully will get back into a routine now. Its properly autumnal here and soon I'll have to think about what to do when the snow comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

Did W5D2 a while ago. The 8 minute runs weren't as bad as I thought. Found the second one tiring and found the 5 minute walk in between made my legs tie up a bit, I'd have nearly been as well to keep running. I wasn't back to my start point when I got to 8 minutes on the second run so I kept going and did 8.5 minutes. Pretty happy with that. It's the big one next!!!

can i ask what is the W5D2?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

mollybird wrote: »
    can i ask what is the W5D2?

Week 5 day 2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I think she meant what are the intervals?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

bluewolf wrote: »
    I think she meant what are the intervals?

Oh. 8 min run, 5 min walk, 8 min run

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

W2D2 done yesterday. Running intervals a bit easier than day 1. Think I am also starting to get used to going out in the evenings after a long day work and getting household stuff done also.
    Just wondering I may have to change my route as the dark evenings come in, I had to wear a hi-vis vest yesterday eveing, it was so dull at 8.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Yeah the dark evenings are starting to creep back in now, I was thinking ahead and bought a hi -vis running jacket in Heatons last week...reduced to €13.

@SarahBeep - I'd imagine that they would get very sweaty and uncomfortable, they have cheap running leggings on sports direct, the material in these would be designed to draw the sweat away from your skin.

W8D3

I ran for a full 28mins yesterday without any breaks (this is good for me as I'm gasping at times) I picked up a tip from a running site I found. It says that when breathing in to make sure the air is filling up your belly and not just your lungs, then when exhaling to make sure to get every bit of breath back out...kinda like puffing... think blowing a candle out :D

Anyway it's working for me, just need to get used to it. I ran 3.2 miles in the 28mins, didn't get the next 20min session done but I'll try it tomorrow on the beach to avoid running around in circles:D

Keep up the good work guys.

Dark evenings are definitely creeping back in!

I registered for the Evening Echo Cork Ladies Mini Marathon just this morning! I'm doing it for the guide dogs! It's the 15th September so a month away :eek:

I want to keep this up after I've done the marathon as well though so I'm going to have to have suitable attire as the weather is gonna start getting nasty soon!!

leahyl wrote: »
    Dark evenings are definitely creeping back in!

I registered for the Evening Echo Cork Ladies Mini Marathon just this morning! I'm doing it for the guide dogs! It's the 15th September so a month away :eek:

I want to keep this up after I've done the marathon as well though so I'm going to have to have suitable attire as the weather is gonna start getting nasty soon!!

I'm signed up for one on the 22nd September :eek: I sweating just thinking of it! as for winter attire I'm not sure how this is going to work as I hate even wearing a Tee shirt, I find them too heavy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hurray finally got out again! No park but found a mostly unbroken footpath. Takes 8 mins before a crossing. So instead of 10mins today for part 1 I did 8 :p was week 6 day 2. Way back I made the mistake of going faster and had to stop after 5 or so.
    Still, it's been over a week and I did get out :) ill go again and do w6d2 again on Sunday.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Week 5 Day 2 - I managed the two 8 minute runs, woohoo! When he said "you are halfway" I was delighted with myself because I knew I could do it. I think I just had a low energy week last week, beginning of period, tired, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

Just a quick heads up - LIDL have winter running gear from next Thursday.

vitani wrote: »

Thanks a mil vitani - must keep a look out for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Brilliant. Their running gear is excellent, really good quality.

Out of interest has anyone used their running shoes? I have a good pair of Asics but I'm wondering would it be okay to use a normal pair for short runs? Do I really need a pair adjusted to my gait for quick jogs around the block?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Candy_Girl wrote: »
    I'm signed up for one on the 22nd September :eek: I sweating just thinking of it! as for winter attire I'm not sure how this is going to work as I hate even wearing a Tee shirt, I find them too heavy.

do you run topless?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ice Storm

Did my second 5k run two days ago and managed to knock a couple of minutes off my previous time! :)

Today however, was a complete disaster. Did the first km at a good pace but couldn't maintain it. I got slower and slower until by the end, I may as well have been strolling! Wasn't comfortable at all and my shins are pretty sore now. Also, it wasn't good for morale when I got drenched within the first 5 minutes of running! :(

/moan

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

gordongekko take a few days off for that comment.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

After a miserable week this week, and hectic one the week before, I finally got out this evening. went back and did W6D1. Might attempt W6D3 on Sunday, we'll see :)

do you run topless?

Hummm.. never hear of vest tops?

@ icestorm - your legs just might need a day or two recovery, you'll be fine when they're rested.

I'm debating on going to the park run tomorrow, I suppose I'll wait and see what the weathers like.I'm not one for rainy mornings.

I like the look of the running leggings from Lidl , the price isn't bad either. I'm going to be there early to pick up these.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Second week done. I can feel it in my calves tonight, I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing! Not looking forward to the step up next week.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Second week done. I can feel it in my calves tonight, I don't know if thats a good thing or a bad thing! Not looking forward to the step up next week.

You might just surprise yourself and enjoy it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Finished Week 8 last night. It was ok, bit tougher than usual because I had a week off since the first two days of week 8!

Looks like a lot of us missed a week ;)

Thanks for this. I just went to some local sport shops and the running gear was so expensive! I don't care so much what I look like when I am running that I need to spend 70 quid on leggings or 50 quid on a windproof jacket I am afraid. Think I'll send himself into lidl to pick up a few things for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well worth grabbing some of the Lidl gear if you can - go in early though, it usually disappears quickly.

If you can't find what you need, try Sports Direct and look at their Karrimor range.

Advertisement