Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I really need to get back to this considering I'm planning on jogging the mini marathon next year. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Week 2 is finished! I found it very doable. Just a bit hard now with the temperatures going up quite high here. Otherwise grand though.
    Roll on week 3! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

Hi guys

I joined a couch to 5k running club at work 5 weeks ago and this week, we did 2 x 4.3km. We don't exactly follow the couch to 5k plan but its the aim. Next week is 5km. Gulp! I found this week quite tough. What is the best thing for me to do over the weekend to prepare for 5k on Tuesday. I have GAA training on Monday evening and am taking today as a rest. I want to get out tomorrow and Sunday.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm running my first 5K race this evening, and I am totally bricking it!
    I think it's because I always run alone - I've never run with even one other person, let alone thousands.
    I ran 7K on Saturday morning, so I should be well able for it, I think.

Please, LL'ers, tell me it's gonna be OK and I've nothing to worry about!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

You'll be fine - you've covered the distance in training and the race adrenaline will help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

You'll be grand, honest. The nerves wear off after the first couple of minutes. You'll fly it :) Good luck.

Thanks for posting, rainbow kirby and Pembily.
    I am excited as well as nervous, I'm sure it will be fine :)

quaalude wrote: »
    Thanks for posting, rainbow kirby and Pembily.
    I am excited as well as nervous, I'm sure it will be fine :)
    How did you get on?

Pembily wrote: »
    How did you get on?

Deadly, thanks! The nerves went as soon as I got there, and saw lots of normal-looking people smiling and looking excited!
    I'm happy with how I ran - 35m09s, which is pretty much the best I could have hoped for.
    I feel a little silly about how nervous I was yesterday - there was really nothing to be scared of at all - it was fun and nice, with loads of amateurs same as me (in addition to the more serious, athletic types).

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done :)

If you want to try something else in a very relaxed environment, the Parkrun 5ks (Marlay Park, Malahide and Griffeen out in Lucan, and not relevant to you really but there's one in Cork too) are every Saturday morning and completely free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭fits

I am going to bump this. I have had sciatica with varying severity for the last 5 years. For the last three months I have really been making an effort to stretch and do some core strengthening every day and last week I started C25K. I am quite lucky as I live near fabulous jogging paths through a forest which are very easy on the joints. Just completed Week 2 Day 2 today. All good so far so here's hoping the body can put up with it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

fits wrote: »
    here's hoping the body can put up with it :)

Well done :)
    Be vigilant about your stretching, don't let it slip. Keep up the positivity, look after yourself well, and you'll be flying it!

I also sat through a 3 hour meeting today without back pain for the first time in a long time. Stretching... who knew!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I gave up 20 minutes into a run yesterday. I've never done that before...frustrating. :(

I've often seen people running at around 7:30am in the city centre. Some have mini-backpack type things. Is this a new thing, or training?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Have been lurking in this thread for a long time thinking about starting and just completed Week 1 Day 1 this morning. My husband and I are just back from honeymoon and decided it was time to get fit! We're going to do it together in the hope that we motivate each other and basically bully one another into it! Didn't find it too tough this morning and feeling good about myself now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I got up to 33 minutes which is beyond what the couch to 5k brings you to, but according to my mapmyrun it was only 4.3km!! If I try to increase my speed at the start I always have to stop for a break, I need a slow steady pace to keep going. I feel like I'll never comfortably do a 5k

Sala wrote: »
    I got up to 33 minutes which is beyond what the couch to 5k brings you to, but according to my mapmyrun it was only 4.3km!! If I try to increase my speed at the start I always have to stop for a break, I need a slow steady pace to keep going. I feel like I'll never comfortably do a 5k

I was the same - by the end of the C25K program I was running about 4km in 30 minutes, and I felt a little disheartened - where was the fabled 5K?
    I posted here asking about it, and I was told by others in this thread not to worry about it, just to keep going and I'd get faster and my endurance would increase.
    So I continue to run 3 times a week for at least 35 minutes, and I have indeed gotten faster - it takes me a little over 35 minutes to run 5K. I can run 5K comfortable (and by comfortably, I mean challenging, but not totally knackering, myself).
    I can also run for longer these days, and do if I feel like it - I did 6.5K in 45 minutes this past Saturday, and 7km the Saturday before.
    So just keep getting out there, and don't worry too much is my advice!

(I'm in my mid 30's and before starting C25K in January I hadn't done any exercise that wasn't running for a bus since PE class).

Week 3 is done! I started week 3 the week before last, but then I spent half the week somewhere I wouldn't feel comfortable running on my own so I had a break and restarted week 3 on Monday last. I found the second day really really hard, I realised after that I started too fast. So on day three I started running at a much slower pace and it was much easier. So I think I will be like quaalude and not actually be running 5k at the end but sure I don't mind, as I hopefully will continue after the official programme is finished!

Starting week four this evening, yay!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I gave up 20 minutes into a run yesterday. I've never done that before...frustrating. :(

I've often seen people running at around 7:30am in the city centre. Some have mini-backpack type things. Is this a new thing, or training?
    Possibly they're camelbacks -special rucksacks with a liquid pouch for hydration.
    Boo to having to abandon run. That's tough :(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,995 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Did Week 2 Day 3 this morning and it actually felt ok, possibly as it was much cooler this morning than it has been. I am afraid to look and see what Week 3 will be like :D

• Advertisement

Week 3 is done! I started week 3 the week before last, but then I spent half the week somewhere I wouldn't feel comfortable running on my own so I had a break and restarted week 3 on Monday last. I found the second day really really hard, I realised after that I started too fast. So on day three I started running at a much slower pace and it was much easier. So I think I will be like quaalude and not actually be running 5k at the end but sure I don't mind, as I hopefully will continue after the official programme is finished!

Starting week four this evening, yay!
    miamee wrote: »
    Did Week 2 Day 3 this morning and it actually felt ok, possibly as it was much cooler this morning than it has been. I am afraid to look and see what Week 3 will be like :D

We're all around the same way through it. I did W3D1 yesterday.
    Go us!

Week 4 Day 1 done yesterday evening and it was GREAT! :) I was really intimidated by it, when I saw there was nearly twice as much running time as week 3. But actually I found it grand. So pleased at the end of the last run when I wasn't puffed or anything. So I suppose the running must be having some effect? Dying for tomorrow and day 2!

Week 1 day 2 done this evening. Found it much the same as last one -manageable just about! Was careful to stretch this time as I had achy legs yesterday!

W3D2 done.. Ran on a bit extra this evening.

Considering just skipping straight to week 4 but then I know I shouldn't with this darned sciatica that could flare up at any time.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Week 4 Day 1 done yesterday evening and it was GREAT! :) I was really intimidated by it, when I saw there was nearly twice as much running time as week 3. But actually I found it grand. So pleased at the end of the last run when I wasn't puffed or anything. So I suppose the running must be having some effect? Dying for tomorrow and day 2!
    I've starting week 4 tonight! I was reaaaally worried about that too! hopefully it wont be too bad for me!

Week 1 Day 3 done now. Very proud of myself having done a whole week! Found today much easier than the last day. Starting week 2 Saturday!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Hello runners all o/ It's great to see everyone making progress. I'm back again after giving it up for ages, starting on week 2 day 1. Was pretty comfortable - not easy, but not huffing and puffing and dying either, did an extra sprint at the end
    Audiobook running go! I will have to buy some more :)
    Pretty annoyed at the app that was supposed to be giving me "audio cues" and didn't, though :mad:

Week 2 day 1 this morning. Disappointed with how difficult I found it. I was all geared up after a good day Thursday but really struggled today. 90 seconds of running felt never-ending. Hopefully Monday will be better and in the meantime I'm blaming the heat!

Bobsammy wrote: »
    Week 2 day 1 this morning. Disappointed with how difficult I found it. I was all geared up after a good day Thursday but really struggled today. 90 seconds of running felt never-ending. Hopefully Monday will be better and in the meantime I'm blaming the heat!
    Some days will be amazing, you will feel like you are flying, some days will be normal and you will strugglish and then other days feel like you are running with a bus attached to you. You are running more than a lot of others :)

• Advertisement

Well after my cockiness last Tuesday, I was ill and missed Thursday's run so I did W3D3 this morning and it was grand. Definitely ready for week 4 now.

Advertisement