Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP ProLiant MicroServer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭settings

Unraid have a step-by-step guide that you follow, once you follow a few simple steps then you do everything from a web interface. You shouldn't need any linux experience. I use unraid and I am delighted I choose it. I'm still just using basic but will upgrade when I get another drive.

http://lime-technology.com/support/unraid-server-installation

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭MrSparkle

Panrich wrote: »
    Do you mind sharing where you sourced the 3TB drives? I am looking at getting a few too.

I bought two of them from Amazon here:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Caviar-Cache-Internal/dp/B004RORMF6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320311563&sr=8-1

They had only one per customer so I had to get someone else to buy the second one.

I bought the other two from dabs, they don't seem to have the Western Digital ones that I bought on the site anymore. You have these two options from them:
    http://www.dabs.ie/category/components-and-storage,hard-drives,internal-hard-drives/11154?q=3tb

They were a small bit cheaper when I bought them, only around £30 cheaper. I got them just before the prices went up because of the floods in Thailand. The ones on dabs went as high as €320 at the height of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

settings wrote: »
    Unraid have a step-by-step guide that you follow, once you follow a few simple steps then you do everything from a web interface. You shouldn't need any linux experience. I use unraid and I am delighted I choose it. I'm still just using basic but will upgrade when I get another drive.

http://lime-technology.com/support/unraid-server-installation

Were you able to install Sabnzbd, Sickbeard or Couchpotato? I had a quick look at how to do this and there was a mention of command lines which I found off-putting. I don't mind a little bit of messing around with the command line but I'd rather not spend hours at it. Did it take you long?

Also what about the BIOS?
    BIOS Setup Tips

The system BIOS can be complicated and the exact BIOS settings will vary from motherboard to motherboard.

The guide recommends a cache drive for Sabnzbd package. Does this mean I need an Unraid licence or can I use another machine?
    Install the dependency package, this will add python and all the required dependencies every time unRAID boots. Log into your unRAID box and run these commands:
    mkdir /boot/packages
    cd /boot/packages
    wget http://www.bibliognome.com/unraid/SABnzbdDependencies-2.1-i486-unRAID.tgz
    Now we need to download the servers and extract them. To do this we need a cache drive (you can do it without, but that's out of the scope of this How-To). You will also need to check for the latest download of SABnzbd and replace the wget below with the URL to it.
    The Cache drive requires unRAID v4.3-beta4 or later, and is only available with a purchased license (Plus or Pro).

Thanks!

Yep, I have the latest Sabnzbd and sickbeard working perfectly on unraid. I never did bother with couch potato, must check it someday tho.
    Installation is easy, there is a forum for each program (sickbeard | sab). You run the OS off a usb stick (internal on the hp proliant). You can access everything from the network. On the forums first post there is a config file, download it and paste it on the usb stick into the packages folder. Then open your browser and go the the unmenu (unraids control center) and choose 'package manager' and pick install sabnzbd. At that point you can set the variables like install location, port number etc. Very simple, there will be dependancies you will need first time such as python but you can choose to install everything automatically on reboot.
    I have a little 2.5" drives as my cache drive where everything is installed. Technically its not the same cache drive as the one you pay for but it can do everything. I have my unraid/sickbeard installed here so i dont have the main drives spun up all the time, I also have a temporary share here for the same reason.

I wrote a couple of scripts too that I can share. Ones moves all my sick beard stuff to the main raid (all tv shows), everything goes into the proper folders etc, very simple script (this is similar to unraids mover script). another one to move the movies from the cache drive to the main movie folder, very technical indeed :p

There is also a program called S.n.a.p for managing external drives, mp3 players etc. I also made script to update my external for the last x amount of days of tv and/or movies, music- itis so handy when my friend wants my latest downloads :pac:

i really like unraid, once you get setup (which is not hard) it just does what its supposed to without any problems!
    The forums are pretty active too and you will never be stuck,

edit: sorry forgot to answer what you said on the bios. I think I did update the bios using that (russian?) crack. I just went to the unraid forms and followed a guide someone posted to the letter. I think it was on this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11585.0
    If you planning on using less than 5 drives then I dont think you need to use this ( dont quote me on that though)

this is how I mount my 'cache' then i go unmenu - install sickbeard and sabnzdb (im sure there is a way to automount this but i never looked) everything else is installed at boot- Sab and SB are not as they are installed on cache - which aint mounted on reboot automatically
    #/bin/bash

DIR="/mnt/cache"

if [ -d "$DIR" ]
    then
    mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdd1 /mnt/cache
    else
    mkdir /mnt/cache

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Yep, I have the latest Sabnzbd and sickbeard working perfectly on unraid. I never did bother with couch potato, must check it someday tho.
    Installation is easy, there is a forum for each program (sickbeard | sab). You run the OS off a usb stick (internal on the hp proliant). You can access everything from the network. On the forums first post there is a config file, download it and paste it on the usb stick into the packages folder. Then open your browser and go the the unmenu (unraids control center) and choose 'package manager' and pick install sabnzbd. At that point you can set the variables like install location, port number etc. Very simple, there will be dependancies you will need first time such as python but you can choose to install everything automatically on reboot.
    I have a little 2.5" drives as my cache drive where everything is installed. Technically its not the same cache drive as the one you pay for but it can do everything. I have my unraid/sickbeard installed here so i dont have the main drives spun up all the time, I also have a temporary share here for the same reason.

I wrote a couple of scripts too that I can share. Ones moves all my sick beard stuff to the main raid (all tv shows), everything goes into the proper folders etc, very simple script (this is similar to unraids mover script). another one to move the movies from the cache drive to the main movie folder, very technical indeed :p

There is also a program called S.n.a.p for managing external drives, mp3 players etc. I also made script to update my external for the last x amount of days of tv and/or movies, music- itis so handy when my friend wants my latest downloads :pac:

i really like unraid, once you get setup (which is not hard) it just does what its supposed to without any problems!
    The forums are pretty active too and you will never be stuck,

edit: sorry forgot to answer what you said on the bios. I think I did update the bios using that (russian?) crack. I just went to the unraid forms and followed a guide someone posted to the letter. I think it was on this thread: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11585.0
    If you planning on using less than 5 drives then I dont think you need to use this ( dont quote me on that though)

this is how I mount my 'cache' then i go unmenu - install sickbeard and sabnzdb (im sure there is a way to automount this but i never looked) everything else is installed at boot- Sab and SB are not as they are installed on cache - which aint mounted on reboot automatically
    #/bin/bash

DIR="/mnt/cache"

if [ -d "$DIR" ]
    then
    else
    mkdir /mnt/cache
    #/bin/bash

DIR="/mnt/cache"

if [ -d "$DIR" ]
    then
    mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdd1 $DIR
    else
    mkdir -P $DIR
    mount -t reiserfs /dev/sdd1 $DIR

Probably makes a bit more sense :)

• Advertisement

km991148 wrote: »
    Sorry folks.. forgot to update this.. The deals I was talking about before were from ServersPlus.

4TB NAS Option (£370)
    http://www.serversplus.com/servers/server_bundles/658553421-4tbnas

4GB Standard Option (219£)
    http://www.serversplus.com/servers/server_bundles/658553421-4gb

Bog Standard (199£):
    http://www.serversplus.com/servers/tower_servers/hp_tower_servers/658553-421

Right I've decided to get this. Which one should I buy?

I've 1TB of media and I want to use this as a backend to my HTPC. I want it to run Plex media server, Sabnbzd, Couchpotato and Sickbeard.

Is Unraid easier to run/set up than FreeNas? I take it I can log in remotely from my browser? I want to put the server behind my couch.

Also can you recommend a memory stick and HDD?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

silvine wrote: »
    Right I've decided to get this. Which one should I buy?

I've 1TB of media and I want to use this as a backend to my HTPC. I want it to run Plex media server, Sabnbzd, Couchpotato and Sickbeard.

Is Unraid easier to run/set up than FreeNas? I take it I can log in remotely from my browser? I want to put the server behind my couch.

Also can you recommend a memory stick and HDD?

Cheers.

Haven't tried Unraid, I have Sabnbzd, Couchpotato and Sickbeard (and Headphones) running on FreeNas, took me quite a while to get it working. However FreeNas 8.2, which should be out soon (Beta is out at the moment), will let you add these all as plugins which should simplify things enormously.
    The web interface for FreeNas is nice, but no access to the file system, it allows you to configure your shares, services etc. If you want to mess around with the data on the drives, you'd need to login using Putty or similar, or access the drive (assuming you have it shared) from a remote computer.

Note: I'm far from an expert on these things, had never really used Linux until I got my MicroServer.

here is the unraid interface
    http://www.ebabble.net/wp-content/uploads/unRAID.png

here you can do stuff like make shares. ie. make a Movie share here, set what disks in the server you want to use (say disk1+2) etc. Once you apply it you can see the share on your network. Copy movies to this folder over the network, delete, rename etc. - its the same as if it were an external harddrive. personally I copy movies from my cache disk to the main raid so i use ssh and a script for speed - I actually rename/clean movies on the server using windows explorer though before I copy em

here is a look at unmenu - where you can do installation etc
    http://www.insomnihack.com/wp-content/uploads/unmenu.png
    so after you get the sabnzbd conf file and paste it onto the usb (over the network, v simple) go in here and click package manager and follow the steps.

I haven't seen my server in months only to go in and plug an external usb in and out. you can reboot etc from the first menu.

A reason i like unraid is that it will only spin a disk up that you are using. So if you are watching a movie on disk 1 it will be the only one spun up. Other servers use stripping which divides a movie over a few disks so it can access it faster- but unraid will stream 2x1080 movies to 2 different htpcs here no problem. Its not a big deal but its saves power/easier on disks. I also use a program called "cache dirs" which stores the directory structure in ram so you can browse folders without them spinning up.
    that is just my preference of course

edit:
    your links aren't working by the way

I bought one of the recommended usb drives as I wanted to be 100% sure it would work straight away - they have an offical list but if you look at the forums people are using all sorts of random usb sticks fine. I bought mine off ebay from hong kong, its a sony micro vault (?)

as for plex im pretty sure you can get an addon for it

I got that Server Plus link from a few pages back. They were selling them this am but they don't seem to be selling them at the moment (hence the dead link).

Should I just buy off dab.ie or hp?

http://www.eurieka.ie/products.asp?partno=658553-421

http://www.dabs.ie/products/hp-proliant-microserver-g7-n40l-nhp-eu-svr-7RMD.html?q=proliant&src=16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭frash

silvine wrote: »
    I got that Server Plus link from a few pages back. They were selling them this am but they don't seem to be selling them at the moment (hence the dead link).

Should I just buy off dab.ie or hp?

http://www.eurieka.ie/products.asp?partno=658553-421

http://www.dabs.ie/products/hp-proliant-microserver-g7-n40l-nhp-eu-svr-7RMD.html?q=proliant&src=16

I bought one from dabs today after getting confirmation that offer was still valid.
    My earlier post about the dates turned out to be unfounded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

If I was to order one of these now, how would I avail of the cashback offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭frash

If I was to order one of these now, how would I avail of the cashback offer?

Claim form here

Ignore bit about delivery by end of Feb - that's an error - have email from HP saying as much

frash wrote: »
    Claim form here

Ignore bit about delivery by end of Feb - that's an error - have email from HP saying as much

That's great, thanks.

Now to just find some cheap drives to go along with it.

For unraid , is it ok to just buy one drive with the hp machine or do I have to buy two for it to work ?

afraid you will need at least 2 disks minimum with unraid. To add to that the largest drive will be used as a parity disk so if you got a 3tb and 1tb you will only have 1tb of storage and 3tb of backup/parity

EDIT: I read that most people who tried to run Debian on it were succesful, so now I'm left with a different question: Where did you guys order from? I can see hpshop.ie and serversplus.com are selling them, but I'm not sure if I have to buy from an Irish seller for the cashback or not.

Sorry for double posting, but would I still be eligible for the cashback if I order from serversplus?

yes you can, you can buy from here or uk and get a cheque for euro/stg regardless of where you buy it

yes you can, you can buy from here or uk and get a cheque for euro/stg regardless of where you buy it

That's grand, I'll order it today then.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭love that turbo

Hope this is extended till next month, its my birthday then.

• Advertisement

I feel a little daft for asking this, but how do I get something from serversplus shipped to here? Do I need to use the BT11AA trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

It should work fine Silvine, I used a similar one made by HIS.

The only thing you will need to do is fit the low profile bracket and you should be all good.

Does that come with the card?
    I take it it's simple to fit?

My plan is to run XBMC (Openelec) on this until I can afford a few drives and change it to an Unraid server.

EDIT: Just checked the details, it includes the bracket!

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Has anyone managed to set-up remote web access with Windows home Server 2011 and a UPC thomson router?

I keep getting the error "UPnP is not enabled on the router" I've tried turning off UPnP and setting up forwarding manually with the same results.

==============

Managed to get this working on my DD-WRT router by forwarding the ports to the WAN address thanks to Carbsy http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72353886&postcount=56

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

is this a good offer to buy this box if using it for NAS:(price doesnt include VAT)

http://www.serversplus.com/servers/server_bundles/658553421-4tbnas

or where is the best place to buy from.
    i was looking to get storage for my new htpc (an old laptop), is the Proliant a good option?

where's the cheapest place to buy harddrives?

Thanks

For anyone who wants to buy this off Dabs.ie, they're offering EUR10 off if you spend over EUR199. Just use the code SPRING10IE. There's other offers if you're spending more i.e. on a HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads, quick one there, where is the sata cable and power cable for the dvd/hd slot? Or is it just a port on the board?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

hi is it too late now to purchase this on DABS and avail of the cashback offer ?

I.E it mentions the unit needs to be invoiced and deliverd berfore the 31st March. Was going to order in the morning but if it takes 3-5 days for delivery it probably wont be delivered untill next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i imagine it will be renewed again, if you check the start of the thread, it's already been renewed several times since this time last year. :)

if you're not sure, i'd just wait a week or two before ordering to see if a new offer comes up again.

Advertisement