Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Please help with my JAVA ASSIGNMENT :(

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

theedude27 wrote: »
    Eh lads, this is a post about a Java maths project that myself (to some extent) and another person happen to be struggling with. Can you please take your own argument about HN and "how much maths really goes into modern programming" to a separate thread please!!!
    :) Lad, we're still waiting for that specific question the forum charter requires, and now you want to break the back-seat moderation rule as well? :)

ChRoMe wrote: »
    The vast majority of CRUD applications have little to no requirement for math.
    Yeah, and neither do the vast majority of data entry jobs. Do you really want to go to college for four years to learn to do something like that? Pick a shorter degree if you do, and prep for a fairly limited career unless you're angling straight for a managerial role and in that case, be more worried about your MBA than your degree (and please never work in a company I'm in, people who choose this path have almost invariably been far more work than they should be).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭theedude27

Sparks wrote: »
    :) Lad, we're still waiting for that specific question the forum charter requires, and now you want to break the back-seat moderation rule as well? :)

I might sound a bit out of order but I'm just getting frustrated at the fact that I have not gotten very far with the second part of my project and I'm getting all these replies to my thread (which has been merged with another thread) that don't relate directly to the question I asked (what keywords I should be using in the public class).

Ugh I've been on boards.ie for a few years now but I rarely post anything and it's not easy to remember all forum rules so take it easy on this poor NooB lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Yeah, and neither do the vast majority of data entry jobs. Do you really want to go to college for four years to learn to do something like that? Pick a shorter degree if you do, and prep for a fairly limited career unless you're angling straight for a managerial role and in that case, be more worried about your MBA than your degree (and please never work in a company I'm in, people who choose this path have almost invariably been far more work than they should be).

I've been in IT over ten years, I think you are confusing me with one of the students. Billing over 300 a day writing Spring applications is not a bad way to make a living, its not particularly mentally taxing, however not having to work hard for ok money is a good thing in my book.

ChRoMe wrote: »
    I've been in IT over ten years, I think you are confusing me with one of the students. Billing over 300 a day writing Spring applications is not a bad way to make a living.
    Nope, it's good money (and that's nothing to sneeze at).
    I'd just go nuts in six months doing it :D

(And yes, I know you're well out of college, I wasn't referring to "you" you, but "abstract" you. English sucks as a language for some things).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Sparks, reading your response and after stalking your LinkedIn, it seems like you're in the 10% of cases where some maths might be important.

Your average productive programmer coming out of comp sci is doing CRUD in some finance house and no maths is needed. It's also not as simple as a data entry job which I think is a bit insulting.

I'm doing iOS/Android apps at the moment and there's no maths involved. I'm just joining APIs together. I just piggyback off the maths knowledge of the people in Google & Apple who are smarter and better programmers than me who wrote the libraries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

George can you do the fizzbuzz test? Are you really saying that fizzbuzz is advanced maths that noone needs?

Also this basic maths stuff is kinda handy in real life, do you get stumped by simple logic problems? Never cut any cloth? Or calculated the volume of something? Never encountered a triangle?

There is a reason that this is compulsory in school.

theedude27 wrote: »
    I might sound a bit out of order but I'm just getting frustrated at the fact that I have not gotten very far with the second part of my project and I'm getting all these replies to my thread (which has been merged with another thread) that don't relate directly to the question I asked (what keywords I should be using in the public class).
    Generally, don't use any you don't need. Yeah, that sounds like a dumb answer, but what I mean is, the compiler has defaults for everything you create, and specifying keywords is how you override those defaults. For a college assignment where the actual math is the important part, stop worrying about whether a variable should be const or volatile or if a class should be static or not and just write the code. If you trigger a compiler warning or error, then go fix it, but don't waste an hour worrying over it at this stage.

after stalking your LinkedIn
    Ooooh, matron :D
    you're in the 10% of cases where some maths might be important
    Sometimes yes; but I've spent my time doing CRUD work as well, and even there it's damn important to do some math, even if only when provisioning (you expect 100 or more simultaneous users running a heavy server-side web-app at the same time and have a pretty nasty SLA - ie. one with serious financial penalties for unannounced downtime? you really need to do that math...). And the stuff I've done has gone from academic to industry, and from CRUD to new product design and to other wierd nooks as well, but none of that was planned (in other words, I couldn't tell you when I started what I wouldn't need to know - so I needed to know the math back then :) )
    I'm doing iOS/Android apps at the moment and there's no maths involved.
    There is, it's just hidden from you (and in some deep cases hidden from iOS).
    But you can't do anything that's going to have performance concerns without some level of math, even if it's more statisics than calculus (battery life? bandwidth usage? storage space? even those questions need math of some kind...)

Well. You could ignore it, but you'd also have to ignore the bug reports ;)
    (Man, does that sound like a great idea on some days...)

And no, not every job starts with firing up Wolfram, but I don't think I've done too many jobs over the years where you never needed any math at any point in the project. None that couldn't have been outsourced or offshored to Mumbai, anyway.

Generally, don't use any you don't need. Yeah, that sounds like a dumb answer, but what I mean is, the compiler has defaults for everything you create, and specifying keywords is how you override those defaults. For a college assignment where the actual math is the important part, stop worrying about whether a variable should be const or volatile or if a class should be static or not and just write the code. If you trigger a compiler warning or error, then go fix it, but don't waste an hour worrying over it at this stage.

You are probably right Sparks but I just want the program to compile and not do the opposite of what the question specified it to do!! I am a weak programmer and some of the compiler error codes just confuse the hell out of me. Ok I'm done worrying and I'm just going to get back to it shortly and hope to get around 6 or 7 out of 10 for my efforts:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Post the error and the offending line, we will help you. Oh, and start a new thread - this one is a mess :P As Sparks said, we will help with specific problems - but we will not do your assignment for you.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Post the error and the offending line, we will help you. Oh, and start a new thread - this one is a mess :P As Sparks said, we will help with specific problems - but we will not do your assignment for you.

Thanks and I would never expect anyone to do my assignments for me. Just a little push in the right direction is all I require:)

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭shleedance

10 print "hello world"
    20 goto 10

There's your solution.

Advertisement