Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pre hangover prevention

• 30-04-2011 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭

So your planning on having a session one night and you want to do what you can to minimise the hangover. Ideas so far are eat a big dinner before the session, a bite to eat after and a couple of pints of water when you get home.

any other ideas apart from the chemist hangover powders as i hear they are not great for you or is it just a case of getting the water into you the next day?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Drinking a glass of water before you go out will help (if it's beer then its mostly water anyway and you'll be pissing like a racehorse one way or another, so no pints of water at any point at home). A smal meal will do, nothing too heavy on the stomach, as it takes time to break this all down...then loading more calories on top of that will only turn it to unused energy store, which gets turned to fat (read: beer belly):pac:

Food a while before you go to bed, and another glass of water and you're set.

Regardless of hangover prevention, you should be aware that there is no cure for getting the alcohol out of your system - it generally takes one hour per unit of alcohol consumed. If you have to have a massive session, make sure you be sensible about it. Check out more information here.

What works for me, however, is drinking a pint of milk before a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

pint of milk before going out, eat something when you get home, take a berocca tablet in a glass of water, boom, hangoverless next day

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭GaelMonfils

Before bed, after the feed of booze, get down a pint of water, 2 berocca, 2 solphadine and a packet of cheese and onion tayto crisps. You shall wake up with a new uncle called bob!:):cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Food about 90mins before I start drinking. To be honest the only way I steer clear of a dour hangover is not mix drinks during the night. The last night I went from Guinness to Jagermeister it didn't end well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Green Dog

Eat something small when get home, sweet better than fatty food.
    But don't eat until hungry next day i.e. when stomach rumbles.
    Downing pints of water makes me feel worse, the odd sip.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Fresh air helps a hangover so open a window in your room when you go to bed. It only has to be a crack but it will help loads. I have a skylight so I just pull down the lever once (if you have a skylight you will understand what I mean).

I think there is some scientific merit to fresh air helping you recover.

Honestly though, I don't really mind the heavy head the morning after, it's the sahara mouth that I hate so I have to knock back 3 or 4 pints of water before bed and then I bring a pint or two to bed with me for the next morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

You shall wake up with a new uncle called bob!:):cool:
    Ideally in seperate beds

A bit of food before within a hour of heading out, not mixing drinks and a pint of water before going to bed. Without wanting to state the obvious but cutting down on the amount you drink is also a good idea.
    Best thing to beat the hangover, a bottle of lucazade and fresh air. Soon as a wake up head out for a brisk walk or a jog, it'll kill you but tends to wake you up and kick the hangover a lot faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

I've never had a hangover and I generally drink about 1L vodka in the space of 9pm to 2am. After a night put i drink a pint of dilute and usually 1/2L more during the night. Then when i wake up another pint or 2 of dilute. Don't especially eat a big dinner or always eat after.
    Maybe I'm just lucky :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭Kaneda_

The first thing i have to do after a nightout in brush my teeth and drink a pint of water/liquid.

I cannot stand the taste of alcohol in my mouth the day after ,so much so that if i feel theres a chance i wont wake up in my own bed that night ill bring my tooth brush with me.

From my experiences there is only one cure for a hangover - sleep.As soon as i wake up my mind starts racing and i cannot get back to sleep no matter how tired i am.Plenty of fluids obviously are a great help.

I also find that if i drink 2 days in a row as opposed to going on the lash for 1 night, i wake up with little or no hangover but alot less money!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

stacexD wrote: »
    I've never had a hangover and I generally drink about 1L vodka in the space of 9pm to 2am. After a night put i drink a pint of dilute and usually 1/2L more during the night. Then when i wake up another pint or 2 of dilute. Don't especially eat a big dinner or always eat after.
    Maybe I'm just lucky :)

Under 25?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

Tis no proper session if you're consciously able to carefully indulge yourself in a glass of water before bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,889 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I know this sounds stupid but its worked for me for almost 30 years of drinking:
    *Have a Brandy and Port with your last pint of the night.
    And.
    Assuming you arent driving/working have another Brandy and Port (just one) when you first wake up at home for a pee or whatever.
    Go back to sleep for half an hour and you will wake up perfect.

*this might not suit everybody but as I said it works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I always end up in the shower for about an hour and a half or until my wife realises were i am and gets me out,doesn't usually work but it feels nice when your pissed and washes the sick down and you smell fresh in the morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Blue Powerade. All you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Pint of water before going out.
    Two pints of water and 2 paracetamol before bed.

Chicken roll or breakfast roll in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Go to your local health shop, buy Alpha Lipoic Acid.. I usually get the Solgar range. I really do swear by them. I take one before bed and generally wake up feeling pretty ok, capable and no headache or shakes.I don't do heavy sessions much anymore so when I do they have the power to destroy me. I find these lads keep me ok. They are a liver detox, like Milk Thistle but far more potent. Give them a try, you'll be impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Dont drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

One of the main causes of a hangover is dehydration (largely responsible for your headache), so clearly the best thing to prevent or cure them is rehydration – plenty of water or fruit juice (as that often contains anti-oxidants too).

Sugar filled soft drinks like cola are NOT a good idea, because although they’ll make you feel good temporarily by boosting your blood sugar, you’ll very quickly feel even worse again as you suffer from the insulin crash afterwards.

Having said that, caffeine can often help with a headache and get you feeling sharper again, it depends on your preference. Unfortunately most caffeinated drinks are also diuretic, meaning they will dehydrate you even more. Part of your rehydration might perhaps include essential electrolytes too (Calcium, Potassium, Sodium, Magnesium etc).

Another cause of hangover is acetaldehyde, the toxic chemical produced when alcohol dehydrogenase breaks down alcohol in the liver. This is what causes the ‘poisoned’ feeling. There are a couple of things which work quite well to mop this up – the first is an enzyme called cysteine, which is found in large quantities in eggs. So that’s breakfast sorted out. You can also buy N-acetyl cysteine as a supplement in health food shops. The second thing which mops up acetaldehyde quite well is probiotics – the healthy bacteria found in yoghurt. However perhaps the best way to take this is in capsule form where it’s far more concentrated. A few of these before bedtime can really help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Dont drink.
    DOES
    NOT
    COMPUTE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭EmacB

As a general rule, the clearer the liquid, the better you are the next morning.

Also beers made in germany tend to be good because by law they are only allowed 4 ingredients or something like that and that means you get a purer alcohol. Can definately testify to that one after being in germany for a month last summer haha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

that hangover is due to dehydration... so if you wake up feeling like shít.. just ya'know... rehydrate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

A pint of water before bed and I'm right as rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

EmacB wrote: »
    As a general rule, the clearer the liquid, the better you are the next morning.

Also beers made in germany tend to be good because by law they are only allowed 4 ingredients or something like that and that means you get a purer alcohol. Can definately testify to that one after being in germany for a month last summer haha.

Very true,i was at the Munich beerfest a few years back,the beer is unreal over there,top quality stuff,its illegal to add all that chemical ****e we have here.......Germans,they really are the master race

I always drink water when i get in,i try to avoid food(especially fast food ****e)before bed,a lot of times ill actually have a cup of tea as well,you still have a hangover with water/tea but it will be much less severe,next morning i always have eggs too,usually boiled on toast or an omlette,decent fruit drink helps too.....im 30,hangovers get worse every year:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

I know you said you didnt want to take any tablets or anything however I cannot recommend alka seltzer highly enough.

2 of them before bed in a pint and a half of water and you will be as right as rain.

Not only do they prevent hangovers they also sort the stomach out wonderfully too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Milk is the magic potion you need, as has been said earlier. A glass of milk combined with spreading out drinking always works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭alex73

I drink coke after 11pm and this prevent the hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭unknownlegend

A bit of grub and milk before you head out, so the stomach isn't super absorbent and has a bit of a 'line' to it...

Then, if at all possible, the best way to avoid a flaming hangover is to realise towards the end of the night to stop drinking as you'll still be at the same level of píssed until you get home. e.g. if drinking from 8 pm onwards in a pub, stop drinking around 12 and have a bit of water or sugar water till you leave at 1 or 1.30. It tends to be a daycent money saver too.

Back in the home, if you've still got some handle on your senses, a pint or two of water with either a multivitamin or a berocca before kip. If you're really organised have these sitting on the bench from BEFORE you go out, and maybe some dioralyte (read: basically salt and sugar) too to help the dehydration/rehydration.

I tend not to eat after I've been drinking as I believe my stomach becomes paralysed with the alcohol and any food just remains till some time the next day, going half rancid in the process, and makes me feel like the lord of the rings (not the golden one...). However once you come-to the next day, eggs, bacon and a mug of coffee get me right back to normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

baz2009 wrote: »
    A pint of water before bed and I'm right as rain.
    This.

Also take a glass of water and leave it next to the bed for when you wake up. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Two pints of water before i head out and usually a pint of water when i get home followed by a resolve. Its mighty stuff and works a treat.

Advertisement