Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The West- Free Speech Hypocrites

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

dlofnep wrote: »
    While I accept that many countries have certain legislation which is counter to true freedom of speech, I don't accept that an attack on Islam could be construed as an attack on Muslims. If someone criticises the fact that Muhammad had sex with a child, that is their right to do so. This is not an attack on Muslims. An attack on Muslims would be something that specifically targets them as a collective of people - IE: Stating that all Muslims as terrorists, and harassing Muslims on the streets, throwing a myriad of insults at them.

There are many issues that need to be unrestricted in freedom of speech, and freedom to criticises or satirise religion is one of them. I agree that if people wish to reject the holocaust, they should have the right to do so - even if their views are completely without merit. I see it as no different than the wackos in the conspiracy forum, who think that lizards are running the world.

America generally gets it right on freedom of speech most of the time, Europe - less so.

I think the holocaust is really a special case though and denial of it is only punishable in certain countries. It is in recent living memory and the laws making it illegal to deny it were more an attempt to ensure Germans did not forgot what the nazis did.

philologos wrote: »
    I never said I wanted to shield Christianity from criticism. What I wanted to do is challenge your claim that there's no evidence for Christianity. That opinion is irrelevant to law making. Freedom of conscience and speech is what is most important. You don't have a right to enshrine your opinion into law.

What opinion? My opinion that god doesn't exist? I don't want or expect that to be enshrined in law. I have no evidence to back it up, but I also don't expect laws to be enacted to protect your god from criticism or enacted based on solely religious grounds, based on a holy book. Nor do you I take it. Because you've no evidence of gods existence either so if we were to create laws based on the assumption of gods existence we may as well create laws based on the assumption of fairies being real and ghosts being present.

Laws should be based on reasoned argument, logic and evidence - and the will of the people. That's not me wishing for an atheist state.

Anyway you've said you don't want your religion protected from criticism (and Christians have generally been very tolerant of insults, parodies, crude portrayals etc from a far more sustained sniping at their religion throughout popular culture) so we are in agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

We're not really in agreement. I support freedom of speech and oppose blasphemy laws, but I don't think it's necessary, true or relevant to bring your position as to whether or not there is evidence for Christianity or other belief systems into this discussion. I think your assumption is wrong and I don't see why it has a place in the Politics forum and particularly in established law.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Freedom of Speech (FOS) is much like equality. Most people have very little understanding about it or how it can be interpreted.

Consider this. In a society where we consider FOS to be paramount we spend a great deal of our time trying to ensure our children when they are growing up dont swear or insult or be rude or just 'say what they want'. We condition them to act and communicate in a particular way that we find pleasing and socially acceptable.

Only in the playground or a childs mind would the concept of saying 'anything to anyone' be considered acceptable.

The freedom to insult other cultures, religions or a persons values is just an inability to effectively communicate with those people in a civil maner.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

America generally gets it right on freedom of speech most of the time, Europe - less so.

Actually very true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Toshchiy Imperatritsy Vselennoy

Lantus wrote: »
    Freedom of Speech (FOS) is much like equality. Most people have very little understanding about it or how it can be interpreted.

Consider this. In a society where we consider FOS to be paramount we spend a great deal of our time trying to ensure our children when they are growing up dont swear or insult or be rude or just 'say what they want'. We condition them to act and communicate in a particular way that we find pleasing and socially acceptable.

Only in the playground or a childs mind would the concept of saying 'anything to anyone' be considered acceptable.

The freedom to insult other cultures, religions or a persons values is just an inability to effectively communicate with those people in a civil maner.

What you are speaking of there is individual rights garanteed by law and social law. The two are not the same and should never be confused. Socializing children or people and enforcing laws which assumme the absolute correctness of these social constructs are very different. It is exactly because of this that we need FOS.

Obviously what is pleasing to some societies is abhorrant in others. So we don't base law (or tryy not to) on religion or manners but try to use reason. ( I am not saying it is always so).

Also it is a balance....FOS fr everyone requires one individuals freedom of expression does not impinge on another's expression or on another idea of what that might be.

This balance of ensuring everyone's rights to FOS helps keep the balance in check.

You have the right to swear ....others have the right to criticise you for it.

You can be banned from private clubs for swearing or expelled from school. But these are private institutions not legal state ones.

Also it could argue that swearing does not come under FOS.

I wonder if in America it is thought that swearing is covered by the first Amendment.

But it is very true FOS is hampered by social constructs and norms and also by private corporations and intitutions in different ways. The state must not though. And it should protect these rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

I don't see the double standard OP. Maybe that's because I don't want to see it you'll say.

From what I understand the recent (so called anti Islamic <I didn't see it and don't want to see it>) movie was made by a man who wasn't interested in freedom of expression, rather a guy with a strong anti Islamic bias.

from the William Saletan quote:

The Netherlands bans anything that “verbally or in writing or
    image, deliberately offends a group of people because of their race, their
    religion or beliefs, their hetero- or homosexual orientation or their physical,
    psychological or mental handicap.”

Does he think it should be ok to be cruel and insulting to the handicapped? :confused:

His reference to EU countries in relation to the US issue of freedom of speech is misleading and confusing.

OP: for you to talk about President 'there are no gays in Iran' Ahmedinejad reduces the effectiveness of your argument imo.

I suggest that most of the people who protested in the recent whipped up movie controversy have no interest in freedom of exression or free speech and whether a double standard exists between east and west, or between Islamic and non Islamic countries.

I suggest that most of the people protesting hadn't even seen the movie that they were in the name of protesting against and denouncing.

One of the poster slogans reported widely from the London protest read "America - Get Out Of Muslim Lands".

Freedom of expression indeed.

We're not really in agreement. I support freedom of speech and oppose blasphemy laws, but I don't think it's necessary, true or relevant to bring your position as to whether or not there is evidence for Christianity or other belief systems into this discussion. I think your assumption is wrong and I don't see why it has a place in the Politics forum and particularly in established law.

Well we are in agreement. I'm also against blasphemy laws and for freedom of speech - but that freedom does not extend to incitement to hate, libel, slander. You can't unjustly attack a persons character, or at least if you do you'll end up in court facing the consequences. The character of a god, long dead prophet, fairy princess, alien or Disney character can't be unjustly criticised because to show the comments are unjust you must present evidence of the fictional characters character. Maybe religions would receive more protection under the law if they trademarked their deities?

Well we are in agreement. I'm also against blasphemy laws and for freedom of speech - but that freedom does not extend to incitement to hate, libel, slander. You can't unjustly attack a persons character, or at least if you do you'll end up in court facing the consequences. The character of a god, long dead prophet, fairy princess, alien or Disney character can't be unjustly criticised because to show the comments are unjust you must present evidence of the fictional characters character. Maybe religions would receive more protection under the law if they trademarked their deities?

I'm not in agreement with you at all.

The reason why we should have freedom of speech is because as a mature society we should be able to discuss things freely and openly. Secondly we should have freedom of belief.

Personally, I don't see how a God so feeble as to need humans to step in each and every time He is mocked and scoffed at would be omnipotent for a start. Christians trust that God Himself will judge the world at the end of time. We don't need to do it for Him.

I support freedom of speech in many ways, but primarily insofar as it allows me to speak freely about my beliefs in society, and to enter into dialogue with others as to what they believe.

Your claim that God is fictional has little value unless you can adequately explain why. I think this is a discussion for elsewhere, but it is getting rather petty isn't it?

The main reason I called Einhard up on his claim is because it is widely contested, and it shouldn't be assumed to be true by any stretch of the imagination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Your claim that God is fictional has little value unless you can adequately explain why.

Because there is zero evidence in support of a God existing. Zero. You might take your religious discussion to the Christianity forum, there's already a thread on this very topic there.

• Advertisement

Because there is zero evidence in support of a God existing. Zero. You might take your religious discussion to the Christianity forum, there's already a thread on this very topic there.
    I agree perhaps the posters who made the claim that there is no evidence for God's existence on the politics forum should take it elsewhere.

I'll have to decline the offer to continue a debate on the existence of God on the Christianity forum. I've no evidence for gods non-existence so I'd be wasting my time, just like I'd be wasting my time trying to prove the non-existence of ghosts, fairies or the devil. I cannot imagine you have evidence of gods existence as I'd imagine I'd have heard it, that'd be big news.

But when it comes to freedom of speech we are in agreement (unless you think people should be free to libel, slander or defame other people and/or incite hate). We both agree with freedom of speech and freedom of belief (I'm not suggesting their should be any laws enacted to curtail your freedoms to believe whatever you want), and freedom to criticise, satirise, parody or even insult beliefs. And don't worry about my soul, I'll recant it all on my death bed just to hedge my bets.

PS do you really think a god so omnipotent cares if you capitalise the first letter of any reference to him? God Himself couldn't be that petty could He?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

OK folks, I'm going to have to ask you to stop the back and forth on the existence of God - this is neither the thread nor the forum for that debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I think the holocaust is really a special case though and denial of it is only punishable in certain countries. It is in recent living memory and the laws making it illegal to deny it were more an attempt to ensure Germans did not forgot what the nazis did.

Did not forget? That's simply nonsense. How on earth would they forget such a thing? How on earth would anyone else in Europe let them forget? They don't need to enshrine it in law. That kind of stain on a country looks after itself.

I understand why the German's outlawed holocaust-denial. It's not difficult to see. That doesn't mean it should be considered acceptable.

The thing about freedom of speech is that the Germany-Nazi issue is exactly the kind of difficult situation where it needs to stand strong. Germany seems to fail at that in a lot of issues. Bending over backwards to the religous people who think hacking bits off boys' willies is totally acceptable is another of their latest follies in their mad dash to show how progressive they are.

It seems to be the natural order of things for humans to gravitate towards authoritarianism. We can't just leave people alone. We feel we have to control how they think. It doesn't matter what beliefs we have or how well founded they are - we keep trying to force them on other people.

I don't believe in that. I believe in the integrity of each human being to make their own path and make their own belief system. I think even pushing something that seems reasonable enough on first glance, like making really certain holocaust denial doesn't occur, undermines that integrity.

The fact of the matter is that you don't need to force people towards these things. Give them an ability to reason and the information and overwhelmingly they'll see that not only is holocaust denial insane bull****, but so too is thinking the moon landing was a hoax and that racism is a good idea.
    The truth will out. Always. How could it be any other way?
    Bull**** lies in an unstable state of equilibrium.

Gbear wrote: »
    Did not forget? That's simply nonsense. How on earth would they forget such a thing? How on earth would anyone else in Europe let them forget? They don't need to enshrine it in law. That kind of stain on a country looks after itself.

There are neo-nazis in Germany and elsewhere as well as others who question whether the holocaust happened. Sounds like some people are forgetting. I'd prefer if denial wasn't enshrined in German law and wackos were dealt with in another way but the German law does not make us hypocritical for demanding freedom of speech to criticise religion.
    It seems to be the natural order of things for humans to gravitate towards authoritarianism. We can't just leave people alone. We feel we have to control how they think. It doesn't matter what beliefs we have or how well founded they are - we keep trying to force them on other people.

I don't believe in that. I believe in the integrity of each human being to make their own path and make their own belief system.

That's all lovely and flowery but when a child walks into the road I'm sure you'll be forcing your knowledge of the rules of the road on them, or should they like learn from their own mistakes and make their own way? The progression of society involves the passage of information. People showing others how to do things and how to think. But sure let your child learn about nutrition by chiding his own food. When he eats rat poison sure that'll teach him.
    The fact of the matter is that you don't need to force people towards these things. Give them an ability to reason and the information and overwhelmingly they'll see that not only is holocaust denial insane bull****, but so too is thinking the moon landing was a hoax and that racism is a good idea.
    The truth will out. Always. How could it be any other way?
    Bull**** lies in an unstable state of equilibrium.

Yeah humans don't engage in superstition or any other 'bull****' like that. We are all just so sensible.

Is your argument that freedom of speech should have no limits or do you accept some laws against libel, slander incitement to hate and defamation?

MOD NOTE:

OK folks, I'm going to have to ask you to stop the back and forth on the existence of God - this is neither the thread nor the forum for that debate.

Rosie I'm not trying to argue over the existence of god, im making a more general point about the freedom of speech. I think that freedom should have limits, laws against libel, slander, defamation and incitement to hate (and possibly other things). These can only apply however to people - or things we can prove exist allowing us to make a defence and show that comments are untrue. God may exist, I haven't ruled that out, I'm still spiritual, but as we can't prove gods existence he cant get the protection of libel laws etc.

I can't bring you to court for alleging that my invisible friend has a beard and smells of turnips when quite clearly he dorsn't (but I can't demonstrate that to a court) and you can't bring me to court for alleging god loves Paddy Powers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I can't remember the name of it but there's a concept in law where you must give valid reasons to make something illegal in the first place.
    When laws are inherited from less enlightened times - for example, the criminalisation of homosexuality, which I think was in place in Ireland until the late 80's, there seems to be an acceptance by those trying to get it repealed that they have to be the ones to make the case for it's removal.

That is completely getting the burden of proof arseways. There is no good reason to ban homosexuality. I shouldn't have to even make any argument other than that when arguing for it's repeal.

I think the same thing has occurred with the abridging of certain forms of freedom of speech. I think people decided that they didn't like racists and that was it. On a political level, opposing it gets you branded a racist. We don't have the strength of the US constitution (which I think is the best constitution, even if the US seems to fail to do it justice at times) to fall back on.

So with any freedom of speech issue I want to see a valid reason given for it being in existence. That we have laws against holocaust denial is no reason to shift the burden of proof in any rational debate.

We should look at it from being free of all laws as a starting point and then start adding them as necessary.
    Starting from a position of tyranny and then adding rights and removing restrictions is going about it backwards but that's the way things have tended to go in practice because most of the world was despotic at some point.

I don't think there's anything fundamentally different about freedom in the West. We've just moved further along in shedding tyranny.
    The US is a bit different because it was created in a somewhat systematic manner. They didn't have thousands of years of bull**** to contend with. They started fresh. Because they started fresh about 300 years ago they've still had time to amass some backwards horse**** in their law but I still think they're in a better position from a legal and constitutional standpoint.
    Sounds like some people are forgetting. I'd prefer if denial wasn't enshrined in German law and wackos were dealt with in another way but the German law does not make us hypocritical for demanding freedom of speech to criticise religion.

I disagree.
    There will always be outliers but the better educated people get the further the collective mindset of a country will gravitate towards rationality.

I doubt we have any real culture of Neo-Nazism in this country. That doesn't mean that we don't have our own collection of ignorant racists.
    They identify with Nazism in Germany because it has a history there but I don't see that as being any more of a problem than the BNP in Brtain or whatever our own equivalent is.

As such, I don't care if it makes "more sense" to ban holocaust denial than mocking religion. In both cases I think there's no reason to ban them so the differences are trivial.
    That's all lovely and flowery but when a child walks into the road I'm sure you'll be forcing your knowledge of the rules of the road on them, or should they like learn from their own mistakes and make their own way? The progression of society involves the passage of information. People showing others how to do things and how to think. But sure let your child learn about nutrition by chiding his own food. When he eats rat poison sure that'll teach him.
    Children are fundamentally different from adults.
    Yeah humans don't engage in superstition or any other 'bull****' like that. We are all just so sensible.

As levels of education increase levels of religion decrease. There's a clear contrast between states in the US that illustrates that point.
    I think we're already fixing that problem with educating more people.

I don't think the problem with religion in the US* is down to anything other than the lack of social mobility and quality and availability of education for everyone.
    I think that principle applies to anything that's based on nonsense. Conspiracy theories, nazism, ludditeism, etc. don't stand up to critical appraisal. If you give people the tools to deal with these notions from an early age they're overwhelmingly going to be able to take them in, digest them, and spit them back out as nonsense.

*(I'd like to point out that I'm specifically talking about "intrusive" religion in the US - that which is preventing equal rights to gays and is trying to hamstring education by forcing creationism into classrooms - that's the "problem with religion in the US" that I was referring to).
    Is your argument that freedom of speech should have no limits or do you accept some laws against libel, slander incitement to hate and defamation?
    To make a long story short, I'm not sure about libel, slander or defamation of a person.
    I'm not sure how a right to a good name works in the context of freedom of speech but I'm perfectly open to it and it seems reasonable that it trumps it. I'm happy to accept them for the moment.

I don't think "incitement to hatred" should be legislated against.
    For starters, I think it's meaningless. Whether I say, "eat mango chutney" or "all black people are stupid" and you cite either as a cause to go shoot a black civil rights activist - my words weren't the problem. Your insanity and/or stupidity are the problem.
    I think that we already have ways to combat ignorance and doubling down on it at the expense of freedom of expression is a very bad thing and ultimately redundant anyway.

I think you should need a reaaalllly good reason to ban any speech. I don't see "hate speech" being good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thought this might be relevant in the discussion:

A man has been jailed for 12 weeks for making grossly offensive
    comments on his Facebook page about missing youngster April Jones.

Matthew Woods, 19, from Chorley, Lancashire, made a number of derogatory
    posts about April and missing Madeline McCann after getting the idea from
    Sickipedia - a website that "trades in sick jokes".

http://news.sky.com/story/994920/april-jones-man-jailed-for-offensive-web-posts

After the remarks, an angry mob descended on his home, and he had to be taken into protective custody. Charming.

Advertisement