Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pussy Riot and Russia

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭cyberhog

Einhard wrote: »
    I condemn all that cyberhog. All right-minded people should do so.

And yet we haven't heard any condemnation from Western leaders. So by your logic Obama, Cameron, and their cohorts are not "right-minded people" but then you jump to their defense if anyone dares to "have a go at the West". You know it's hard to take you seriously when you can't even present a consistent argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

cyberhog wrote: »

Having sex with a frozen chicken in a supermarket clearly meets the definition.

degeneracy
    3. Corrupt, vulgar, vicious behavior, especially sexual perversion.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/degeneracy

So you believe in Governments enforcing a strict moral code then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

OK, we get it. The West sucks. Since that horse was flogged to death some time ago, can we all move on please?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

On a side note: I noticed while reading an article on this story that Russia was downgraded last year to the ranking of "authoritarian state" in the Democracy Index. This places them below such bastions of democracy as Pakistan, Venezuela, Cambodia and Niger.

I could get you an academic democracy index in which Russia is ranked much higher, if you like?

The Democracy Index is so fraught with inexplicable stuff its hard to take it seriously. Almost as much as the Freedom House index was.
    Having sex with a frozen chicken in a supermarket clearly meets the definition.

Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    I could get you an academic democracy index in which Russia is ranked much higher, if you like?

I accept your offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭abrr1000

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    But the protest was against Putin, and not the church.

The protest was not against Putin - that's what they're making it out to be now. What it was - those 3 idiots running into the church on easter service and shouting profanities at everyone present and exposing themselves...

It is not really fair to compare them to the rubber bandits in Ireland - they are entertainers not hooligans.

I think the state are right to punish such hooliganism it is disgusting and whatever they were "protesting" against - this "protest" was carried out in the most distasteful and undignified way.

I doubt they made anyone think - yeah these girls have a point...

I accept your offer.

http://http://www.systemicpeace.org/polity/polity4.htm

Here you go. The Polity IV project home page. Scroll down a bit and you will see a coloured map. Those countries in dark blue are full democracies, those in red are autocracies (i.e "Authoritarian Regimes"). Light blues are democracies. Also mentioned are "middle ground" countries known as Anocracies. They are represented by the colours patterned with dots.

On the scale, +10 is a full democracy and -10 is the least democratic hereditary monarchy. Russia was +4 in 2010. Its score is extremely likely to increase if the Polity IV is updated to 2012.

http://http://www.systemicpeace.org/polity/rus2.htm

(Notice that Russia is regarded as more democratic as of 2010 than it was during the "golden years" of Yeltsin)

Therefore Russia is currently classified as an "Open Anocracy".

(The drop in Russia's score in 2005 can be most definitely attributed to the removal of governor elections. As these have been restored, Russia's score technically has increased back to +6. A country with +6 or above is regarded as a democracy. -5 or below is an autocracy.)
    It is not really fair to compare them to the rubber bandits in Ireland - they are entertainers not hooligans.

I didn't compare them to the personality of the Rubber Bandits, but rather, their physical appearance.
    The protest was not against Putin - that's what they're making it out to be now.

The lyrics of the protest made it fairly evident it was against Putin, albeit expressed in a socially challenged and attention-seeking way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

abrr1000 wrote: »
    The protest was not against Putin - that's what they're making it out to be now. What it was - those 3 idiots running into the church on easter service and shouting profanities at everyone present and exposing themselves...
    ............point...

You've some sources to back this up? Certainly its the first time I've heard it mentioned.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/20/pussy-riot-punk-prayer-lyrics?newsfeed=true

Here you go - plenty of profanities and distastefulness.
    There were families with children at this service - I think there are other places they could have made their protest if they have such strong feelings - but to shove it in everyone's face literally was just disgusting.

• Advertisement

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/aug/20/pussy-riot-punk-prayer-lyrics?newsfeed=true

There were families with children at this service - I think there are other places they could have made their protest if they have such strong feelings - but to shove it in everyone's face literally was just disgusting.

Wow....they sang "crap" and "bastard". O the horror......

I'm not seeing "shouting profanities at everyone present and exposing themselves".

That translation uses very nice words

That translation uses very nice words

I'm still not seeing sources for "shouting profanities at everyone present and exposing themselves". Any reason ?

Unfortunately you gave a link to misinformation from the Guardian. "Crap" should be replaced with "S**t".

And they never exposed themselves. All they did was show a bit of arm, or is that banned?

Can someone get me the Russian lyrics and I'll be able to truly determine if they swore or simply said "Crap"?

That translation is really horrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I think the state are right to punish such hooliganism it is disgusting and whatever they were "protesting" against - this "protest" was carried out in the most distasteful and undignified way.

So what?

When is offending people ever an acceptable reason in itself, to put people behind bars?

Just a bit of a bump, as I'm hearing interesting updates on the case.

As you probably know, the verdict has been taken to appeal.

But:
    A Moscow court has freed one of the convicted women from the punk band Pussy Riot but upheld two-year jail terms for the other two.

There were cheers in court when the two-year jail term of Yekaterina Samutsevich, 30, was suspended.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19893008

News has been pretty slow on this since the verdict but this is quite an interesting development.

A fairly crap one, tbh. Is there a higher court they can go to?

Nodin wrote: »
    A fairly crap one, tbh. Is there a higher court they can go to?

Yep. The trial was originally in a district court. Above that there are regional courts and then the supreme court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Couldn't they appeal to the ECHR. Russia is a member, last I checked.

wes wrote: »
    Couldn't they appeal to the ECHR. Russia is a member, last I checked.

Yes, they could.

This option is discussed here:
    http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2012/08/2012823795897200.html
    If they so wish, Pussy Riot can appeal the verdict, up to and including in the European Court of Human Rights. But they shouldn't count on victory there. After all, Khodorkovsky failed to prove his prosecution was politically motivated several times in the ECHR - and he had a lot more money and influence than Pussy Riot ever will.

If I'm honest, this story fizzled out pretty quickly once the buzz died down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Was it entirely a coincidence that woman was released around the time of Putin's 60th birthday? A touch of compassion from the Tsar perhaps to mark the occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 584 ✭✭✭dizzywizlw

BluntGuy wrote: »
    So what?

When is offending people ever an acceptable reason in itself, to put people behind bars?

When it infringes on their right of religious belief IN the private base of said religious belief...

Was it entirely a coincidence that woman was released around the time of Putin's 60th birthday? A touch of compassion from the Tsar perhaps to mark the occasion.

Yep the Dark Lord Putin let the innocent girl out the gates of Mordor.....etc. etc.

Advertisement