Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dragons vs Munster, Sat 3 Mar 6:30pm, Live on S4C/TG4

• 01-03-2012 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

With 20 players either injured or not available to train because of their involvement with the national squad, Munster have named a 29 strong squad for the RaboDirect PRO12 game against Newport Gwent Dragons in Rodney Parade on Saturday.

Danny Barnes is missing having sustained a knee injury in the win over Cardiff Blues on Friday but recent signing Save Tokula is named in the squad.
    Also included are Damien Varley and Denis Hurley, both were inCarton House for the week. Varley was dispatched on Wednesday but Hurley and Simon Zebo an absentee from the Munster squad, remain for until Friday.

Munster Squad:
    F Jones, S Scanlon, L O'Dea, J Murphy, D Hurley,
    S Tokula, L Mafi,
    I Keatley, S Deasy,
    T O'Leary, D Williams, C Sheridan,

S Henry, M Sherry, D Fogarty, D Varley,
    M Horan, W du Preez, J Ryan, S Archer, BJ Botha,
    I Nagle, D Foley, M O'Driscoll, B Holland,
    T O'Donnell, Dave O'Callaghan, P Butler, J Coughlan,

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10185.php

I'd like to see:
    du Preez, Sherry, Botha, MOD, Nagle, DOC2.0, TOD, Coughlan;
    TOL, Keatley, Murphy, Mafi, Tokula, LOD, Jones

Bench: Varley, Horan, Archer, Foley, Butler, Sheridan, Deasy, Hurley

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I'd like to see a mix of youth and experience again...

Horan, Sherry, Botha
    MOD, Nagle
    DOC2, TOD, Coughlan

TOL, Keatley
    Zebo, Mafi, Barnes, LOD
    Jones

Bench: Butler, VDP, Varley, Archer, Deasy, Sheridan, Scanlon

Luke O'Dea should be getting more starts now. His catch against teh Blues last week will do his chances no harm because none of the other backs could catch a ball. I'd also like to see Scanlon getting more games. Give Horan another start. He looked good the last day against Blues.

Botha is a dodgy one. He will probably have to start again because Munster need the win but its risking injury too. Archer should come on at the 50 min mark if Botha does start. Mike Sherry should start or be on the bench.

The backrow should stay the same IMO. I'd like to see Butler start too but the likes of Coughlan and MOD act like a glue that keeps the team shape.

Nagle will probably start too. Holland wasn't great last week but to be fair it was his first start in a while so maybe keeping him there wouldn't be a bad thing either.

Cathal Sheridan on the bench. Williams isn't the long term solution for Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

profitius wrote: »
    I'd like to see a mix of youth and experience again...

Horan, Sherry, Botha
    MOD, Nagle
    DOC2, TOD, Coughlan

TOL, Keatley
    Zebo, Mafi, Barnes, LOD
    Jones

Bench: Butler, VDP, Varley, Archer, Deasy, Sheridan, Scanlon

Barnes is injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

I'd rather start Archer and have Botha to spring from the bench in case of emergency. We may need to win this one, but we need to win virtually ever remaining game and I doubt any team in European rugby is so heavily dependent on one man.

We will need to rest Botha at some stage, which means realistically we will need to rely on Archer. Archer will only improve with game time so better to give it to him now rather than later. And if we do need him in a big match I'd rather have him a little battle hardened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Zebo is missing too. So on my team there I'd have Tukola in ahead of Barnes and Johnny Murphy is for Zebu. At lest LOD is likely to get a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I really hope O'Dea gets a start.

I wouldn't be surprised if he forces his way in ahead of Johne Murphy over the next year or so. He was well able for him in the AIL match a few weeks ago. He skinned him on one occasion to set up Richie Mullane for a try.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the props rotated from last week.

Hopefully Sherry can force his way back in. He was excellent for Garryowen last time out, and I think he's a better player than Fogarty. Very good impact off the bench last season.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Munster Squad:
    F Jones, S Scanlon, L O'Dea, J Murphy, D Hurley,
    S Tokula, L Mafi,
    I Keatley, S Deasy,
    T O'Leary, D Williams, C Sheridan,

S Henry, M Sherry, D Fogarty, D Varley,
    M Horan, W du Preez, J Ryan, S Archer, BJ Botha,
    I Nagle, D Foley, M O'Driscoll, B Holland,
    T O'Donnell, Dave O'Callaghan, P Butler, J Coughlan,

It's a fairly uneven squad when you look at it like that.

Only two centres yet four hookers and four second rows. Obviously Downey and Lualala will change that dynamic but their has to be changes in the second row roster for next season. For the players sake let alone for the finance side.

I'd like to see Hurley on the wing ahead of Murphy but other than that Thomond's team is pretty strong. I don't know if Nagle will get picked ahead of Holland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

I'd rather start Archer and have Botha to spring from the bench in case of emergency. We may need to win this one, but we need to win virtually ever remaining game and I doubt any team in European rugby is so heavily dependent on one man.

We will need to rest Botha at some stage, which means realistically we will need to rely on Archer. Archer will only improve with game time so better to give it to him now rather than later. And if we do need him in a big match I'd rather have him a little battle hardened.

Ya I'd like Archer to get the start too. Plus he played against the Dragons at the start of the season, and he was grand. I'd have no fear for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Mad to see Sheridan

Williams is not up to it I'm afraid and we need a 9 that will compete/backup Murray

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Team I'd like to see:
    Jones, LOD, Tokula, Mafi, Hurley, Keatley, TOL
    Du Preez, Sherry, Archer, MOD, Nagle, DOC2, TOD, Coughlan

Bench: Varley, Horan, Botha, Foley, Butler, Sheridan, Deasy, Scanlon

Though I know Murphy will be playing, Botha will probably start and Holland will likely be in the squad ahead of Nagle.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'd like to see:
    du Preez, Sherry, Botha, MOD, Nagle, DOC2.0, TOD, Coughlan;
    TOL, Keatley, Murphy, Mafi, Tokula, LOD, Jones

Bench: Varley, Horan, Archer, Foley, Butler, Sheridan, Deasy, Hurley

God loves a tryer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Team I'd like to see:
    Jones, LOD, Tokula, Mafi, Hurley, Keatley, TOL
    Du Preez, Sherry, Archer, MOD, Nagle, DOC2, TOD, Coughlan

Bench: Varley, Horan, Botha, Foley, Butler, Sheridan, Deasy, Scanlon

Though I know Murphy will be playing, Botha will probably start and Holland will likely be in the squad ahead of Nagle.

I don't think Tokula will go straight into the team. We could have the nightmare combo of Deasy 12 and Mafi 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't think Tokula will go straight into the team. We could have the nightmare combo of Deasy 12 and Mafi 13.

I wouldn't mind seeing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭andrewdcs

Podge_irl wrote: »
    God loves a tryer!

What happened to Nagle, all the buzz couple of seasons back.... lost focus ? injury? or has the log been taken from our eyes?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

andrewdcs wrote: »
    What happened to Nagle, all the buzz couple of seasons back.... lost focus ? injury? or has the log been taken from our eyes?

Having POC, DOC, MOD, Ryan, and Holland for competition hasn't helped him in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

andrewdcs wrote: »

Injuries and competition for places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

I wouldn't mind seeing that.

Bit of a masochist are you ? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Munster:
    F Jones; L O'Dea, S Tokula, L Mafi, J Murphy; I Keatley, T O'Leary;
    M Horan, D Fogarty, S Archer; D Foley, M O'Driscoll capt; Dave O'Callaghan, T O'Donnell, J Coughlan.

Replacements: Mike Sherry, W du Preez, BJ Botha, B Holland, P Butler, D Williams, S Deasy, Denis Hurley.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/10192.php

Happy enough with the team, a few niggles like Fogarty ahead of Sherry and no Nagle in the 22.

Hopefully LOD will have another good outing, looking forward to seeing what Tokula can bring too.

Newport Gwent Dragons Team
    15 Will Harries
    14 Tonderai Chavhanga
    13 Andy Tuilagi
    12 Ashley Smith (c)
    11 Aled Brew
    10 Lewis Robling
    9 Wayne Evans
    1 Nathan Williams
    2 Steve Jones
    3 Nathan Buck
    4 Luke Charteris
    5 Rob Sidoli
    6 Jevon Groves
    7 Lewis Evans
    8 Tom Brown

Replacements
    16 Sam Parry
    17 Phil Price
    18 Dan Way
    19 Hugo Ellis
    20 Darren Waters
    21 Jonathan Evans
    22 Jack Dixon
    23 Steffan Jones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Really starting to get worried about Nagle not getting a run now, these are the times when he should be getting his games. I know he's been injured recently, but he's been in training with the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

ignore...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

ed7890 wrote: »
    Really starting to get worried about Nagle not getting a run now, these are the times when he should be getting his games. I know he's been injured recently, but he's been in training with the team.

Has Ian Nagle died or something?? where is he??

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »
    Is this in Thomond?

Nope in Rodney Parade.

My favourite Welsh club ground ever since the floodlights failed during a Leinster game there a few years back and Reggie Corrigan saying to the ref "it's a bit dark isn't it?".

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I really don't see what on Earth the point was of Munster signing Nagle onto a new contract, from either Munter's perspective or Nagle's.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,266 ✭✭✭✭jm08

leftleg wrote: »
    Has Ian Nagle died or something?? where is he??

I think someone said on munsterfans that he is doing some sort of exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

jm08 wrote: »

But he's on a full contract, isn't he? i.e. rugby should be his focus, especially now that the first-teamers are away.

jm08 wrote: »

Strange that as I can't think of any exams that would be on now, certainly not third level anyway.

I read his profile on Munster Rugby and in a little interview with him in Oct 09 he said he was in third year Commerce in UCC. Assuming this is a 4 year degree would have meant he graduated in Summer 2011 when he would have then moved on from a development contract to a full contract with Munster.

I could be completely wrong on this of course. It would seem a bit strange for him to be named in the initial squad if he wasn't going to play any part in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭leftleg

But he's on a full contract, isn't he? i.e. rugby should be his focus, especially now that the first-teamers are away.

not if the coach will only play you when pigs fly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I'd like to hear the official about Nagle not being involved. It might just be something as simple as fitness, or maybe just maybe, he hasn't been performing as well as the other locks in training? His heroics last year quickly made us forget that Foley was apparently the more highly rated lock.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Strange that as I can't think of any exams that would be on now, certainly not third level anyway.

I read his profile on Munster Rugby and in a little interview with him in Oct 09 he said he was in third year Commerce in UCC. Assuming this is a 4 year degree would have meant he graduated in Summer 2011 when he would have then moved on from a development contract to a full contract with Munster.

I could be completely wrong on this of course. It would seem a bit strange for him to be named in the initial squad if he wasn't going to play any part in the game.

He could be doing a masters or even studying something else.

Maybe thats why he stayed with Munster - they promised him study leave.

I haven't a clue if its true or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd like to hear the official about Nagle not being involved. It might just be something as simple as fitness, or maybe just maybe, he hasn't been performing as well as the other locks in training? His heroics last year quickly made us forget that Foley was apparently the more highly rated lock.
    I've definitely heard Foley described as the better of the two.

I think his lack of game time is either due to him focusing on developing physically this season or due to him just not being good enough.

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »

Northampton were chasing him, so Munster had to give him a (2 year) contract.

Advertisement