Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

FE1 Exam Thread (Mod Warning: NO ADS)

• 30-08-2007 12:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

So, I know there is a huge number of people taking the exams this year so I thought it might be an idea to open a thread for any discussion which may arise.

As for me, my study is pretty much going horrendously badly at the moment. I'm struggling with Tort and Constitutional the most but hopefully I'll get my head around it sooner rather than later. It's straightforward material (allbeit a collosal amount) but some of the questions are very convoluted.

What's everyone's experience so far?

MODERATOR EDIT: Please use this thread for discussing the FE1 exam and topics.

For discussing buying and selling manuals and other FE1 preparatory material, please use this thread.

-

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Snapper1

My study could be better but could be worse. I've been going at it pretty consistently over the past month but find myself running out of steam/losing concentration at this stage. But hopefully the scare of time running out will boost the aul adrenalin and get my mind back on track.

I'm sitting 5: Criminal, Company, Contract, Tort and Equity. The first 3 would be the ones I would hope to get so as not have to re-do them all. The second two don't really sit well with me so it would be a bonus to get them first time round. I'm giving them all equal attention tho, don't agree with paying 100 bills just to sign in and not give it a shot.

3 weeks to go by my count. It's not a marathon, its a sprint!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'm finishing full time work on saturday and then off until I'm finished. I'm sitting company, contract, property and equity. I have most of my notes prepared for contract, about a quater for company and nothing for property and equity, but i studied those two this year so they're still pretty fresh. I generally just write out all my notes and cram 'em in before the exams.
    The thing that will ne most inconvenient for me is having to sit them in dublin. I mean its ok if you're from dublin but if not you have to go sort out accomodation, staying with someone or somesuch and it's all a big dirty distraction when all you wanna do is stay focused and not speak to anyone till you get it wrapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

I generally just write out all my notes and cram 'em in before the exams.
    That sounds really familiar. I'm going to try and focus on the exam questions more and more as the exams approach, but until about a week out I dilly dally. Coughboards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Stay positive folks!! It'll be grand, just keep the head down.

Received a letter today from the law society about the exams etc and was just wondering about the legislation restrictions. First of all it sucks that you have to leave them in two days before hand (as I don't live in Dublin) but it also says you can't have internet printouts! I'm a product of my enviroment, ie we used computers for EVERYTHING in college and I always got my legislation from statuebook.ie but now I suppose I can't. Where do you get this so called original legislation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭ladylorenzo

Stay positive folks!! It'll be grand, just keep the head down.

Received a letter today from the law society about the exams etc and was just wondering about the legislation restrictions. First of all it sucks that you have to leave them in two days before hand (as I don't live in Dublin) but it also says you can't have internet printouts! I'm a product of my enviroment, ie we used computers for EVERYTHING in college and I always got my legislation from statuebook.ie but now I suppose I can't. Where do you get this so called original legislation.

Hey Slasher

You can get all the legislation in the Government Publications Sale Office, Molesworth Street, Dublin. Save yourelf a trip and order them over the phone on 01-6476000.

I know what you're saying about sitting them when you're not from Dublin. My advice would be to organise a B+B(there's a great one in Sandymount...2 mins walk from the RDS. The Bean an Tí is sound, the house is quiet and you dont have to worry about being sociable-i'll get the contact details if you want..she usually does a single room with a desk for aroun 40 yo-yos)Staying with friends can sometimes be more of a distraction than anything else.

Good luck with the exams guys. They're tough but they're not impossible so just keep the heads down.
    Ádh mor, LL ;)

• Advertisement

How much are they charging for the Companies' Acts in there do you know ladylorenzo? I hear it's around €250

Yeah, something like that. I didnt get them to be honest. I just learned off whatever sections I needed from my notes. In my experiece, few people that bring in the Companies Acts actually use them due to the time constraints. Everyone's different though but as long as you know the relevant Sections, you should be ok. You dont get marks for reeling off pages from the Acts..use that time to refer to the relevant section and by applying the law to the facts of the case.

Timing really is the key to the FE1s..answer 5 questions and you are well on your way to passing.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Shinners23

Have 5 of 8. Doing last three this time round - Constitutional, EU and Land... 3rd time doing Consitutional - just can't seem to grasp it. Also Land law - having slight panic attacks over the volume to study for it

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

You have to buy the legislation!¬ That's a bit mad.

I know, the Law Soc don't miss a trick. They won't even let you submit photocopies as someone already eluded to. I think having the legislation is a comforting thing as much as anything else. For example, if you have the CA going into company and a liquidator question comes up re; duties etc. you're fairly sorted. As ladylorenzo said, the pitfall would be that you spend ages fishing through the legislation for some minute detail. Knowledge of the substance is far more important!

On that note, why can't I keep studying..

• Advertisement

Because right now, you'd rather be cleaning the men's toilets in Messr Maguires thatn studying for the FE1s. When I was doing them, my house would have made Hyasinth Bucket's house look like a tip! It's the FE1 effect!!

I just did the Inns Company paper and drew a blank on most of the legislation required for examinership, was awfully disconcerting. Then I went after Fraudulent Preference .....mare.

I found mind-mapping, or drawing out the subjects was most useful, particularly on Subjects that develop, such as Constitutional and Company.

Best of luck with them. I am sure all will be fine.

Tom Young wrote:
    I found mind-mapping, or drawing out the subjects was most useful, particularly on Subjects that develop, such as Constitutional and Company.
    I've never actually tried that but I'd say it could be a good strategy for plotting things like director's duties etc. I'll give it a whirl. And even if it doesn't work, I'll make sure it looks nice with colour and highlighter.

Yeah, see that's it, and if you engage both sides of the brain you tend to remember stuff. Use a different colour for a different strand of a subject. Works a treat. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Riverfarset

Do you have to pass these exams even if you have a law degree? If so what's the point in even doing a law degree? pardon my ignorance on this matter p.s Good luck to all those sitting the exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

Do you have to pass these exams even if you have a law degree? If so what's the point in even doing a law degree? pardon my ignorance on this matter p.s Good luck to all those sitting the exams.

yes! awful isn't it? doing a law degree is still a good idea though, a lot of the stuff you do in college is covered in the FE1 course so it makes studying a little easier.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed the change in the timetable in the pack the law society sent us? Criminal and EU law have switched places! It's grand for me but I dont think everyone will be pleased. Very sneaky too because they didnt mention the change in the pack at all. I only realised when a friend told me. I wonder if its just a printing error by the Law Society or a genuine change??? HMMMMMMMM

Font 22,

When is EU now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

I just went on to the Law Society website and this is the timetable thats up at the mo! Hope it doesn't mess things up for you!!

Monday 24 September Tort
    Wednesday 26 September Company Law
    Friday 28 September Constitutional Law
    Monday 01 October Equity
    Wednesday 03 October Criminal Law
    Friday 05 October EU Law
    Monday 08 October Contract
    Wednesday 10 October Property

Font22 wrote:
    I just went on to the Law Society website and this is the timetable thats up at the mo! Hope it doesn't mess things up for you!!

Monday 24 September Tort
    Wednesday 26 September Company Law
    Friday 28 September Constitutional Law
    Monday 01 October Equity
    Wednesday 03 October Criminal Law
    Friday 05 October EU Law
    Monday 08 October Contract
    Wednesday 10 October Property

Ah mine are well spaced as I'm doing Consitutional, EU, Land. Still a in a panic over them - Awhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackelle

just to let non-dubliners know, you can sit the exams at the neptune basketball stadium in cork only about 400 were there in october.

the legislation is definitely useful to bring in for company, i answered one full question and 1/2 a question from leg last time and that definitely helped me with the pass.

doing constit, tort, contract and eu. bit worried about constit as heard there was a huge failure rate last time around.
    also does anyone know with eu, do you have to know the citation as in c/176 for cases like Commission v UK?

best of luck to everyone!

• Advertisement

also i have past answers that were corrected by Griffith - crim, prop, equity and company that I did for the last sitting in March and consit, tort, eu and contract for this session.

if anyone is interested in swapping let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Wolff

Hello
    using my husbands login here!
    Just wondering if there are many people here who are doing the FE1 exams and have no prior law qualification. I would really like to do these exams but my degree is in sociology, though I did do the company and business law exams with the accounting technicians of ireland course. I'm just wondering is it really hard to get a contract after all that studying if you don't have a law qualification, I know you don't need a law degree as such to sit the fe1's but in reality is it still possible to get that all important contract? also i am a mature student (36 yrs old) does any one ever hear of mature students with a non-law degree being able to get a contract? These exams sound pretty tough, and I'd hate to put in all that work and then not be able to get an apprenticeship! if anyone has any advice on these issues I would be very grateful,

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Wolff wrote:
    Hello
    using my husbands login here!
    Just wondering if there are many people here who are doing the FE1 exams and have no prior law qualification. I would really like to do these exams but my degree is in sociology, though I did do the company and business law exams with the accounting technicians of ireland course. I'm just wondering is it really hard to get a contract after all that studying if you don't have a law qualification, I know you don't need a law degree as such to sit the fe1's but in reality is it still possible to get that all important contract? also i am a mature student (36 yrs old) does any one ever hear of mature students with a non-law degree being able to get a contract? These exams sound pretty tough, and I'd hate to put in all that work and then not be able to get an apprenticeship! if anyone has any advice on these issues I would be very grateful,

cheers

People from non-law backgrounds of all ages get training contracts all the time although I wouldn't go as far as to say it's the norm in Ireland.

Go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Snapper1

folks,

I just received my rules and regulations in the post today and noticed "no food or drinks may be brought into the examination hall" !!

Was just wondering are they strict in enforcing this? seems a bit harsh to not allow a sip of water now and again through a 3 hour scribble-fest!

i did mine in cork, but i had water, coffee, and sweets, as did many others and not a word was said

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭tombren

Snapper1 wrote:
    folks,

I just received my rules and regulations in the post today and noticed "no food or drinks may be brought into the examination hall" !!

Was just wondering are they strict in enforcing this? seems a bit harsh to not allow a sip of water now and again through a 3 hour scribble-fest!

unless they've changed the rules since the last sitting, u can bring in drinks etc, many people bring in chocolate for a sugar rush to keep them going,
    i just cant spare the time to open the wrapper once the exam starts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Hatcher

Just wondering if anyone has heard any of the Griffith predictions. Are they reliable?

Oh yes the predictions, anyone heard any for EU, Constitutional or Land? Need every bit of help I can get Awhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:eek:

http://groups.google.com/group/FE-1-Study-Group/browse_thread/thread/ada4432f580d8579

they've changed the timetable, again....back to the original one, apparently they're deigning to send out a letter sometime in the future about, it hopefully before sept 24th

• Advertisement

Tell me I'm not the only one flat out failing to study. I just can't do it!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement