Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tricolour burnings in Belfast - Should Irish government do more?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

No, that is a fair description, given Britain's history of killing and maiming throughout the world.

On the main issue, the Irish government might usefully suggest that the British government show Irish flags no less respect than other ones. I have a strong suspicion that burning Irish flags is Belfast is not treated the same way as burning Pakistani flags in Bradford would, for instance.

It's a rather difficult thing to try put to one side of what has been, after all, a bitter and long-term civil war "Now you play nicely with our flag! But we're still to be allowed say things about yours, because after all, you and your ancestors are bad people."

Uhm.

And yes, burning Pakistani flags in Bradford would almost certainly be treated differently. Because it's a very different situation. One is basically a relatively few people, generally unsupported by their communities, starting sh1t on a minority community without a long history of violence and hate (beyond the odd bouts, which in comparison to a seventy year "war" is more neighbourly squabbles. The other is a symptom of a much more endemic problem and any mistakes or misunderstandings in how it's handled could actually result in bombs and shootings. Again.

No-one wants that. Thus the NI situation is taken and dealt with more carefully as the complex problem it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

tipptom wrote: »
    Yep,and any forum about Ireland that you can put up your negative anti Irish views and your usual cop out of"I don't support these racist, sectarian,bigoted people but.....".

You will, I presume, be providing details to back up your statement about my anti Irish views?

Or apologise, one of the two.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

The vast majority of Loyalists who "celebrate" the 12th are a bunch of brain dead cheap cider drinking morons. Sure Irish people burnt British flags during the troubles but that was when tensions were high like after Bloody Sunday, The Hunger Strikers, Gibraltar etc... Loyalists do it because it's a part of their "culture" nothing bad has happened to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

Yep,and any forum about Ireland that you can put up your negative anti Irish views and your usual cop out of"I don't support these racist, sectarian,bigoted people but.....".

I'm really starting to think he's Kevin Myers.+

I'm really starting to think he's Kevin Myers.+

That's two threads (on this forum) that you've made stupid wild, baseless. allegations about me.

I will leave it up to the mods to make a judgment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

It's only a ****ing flag. Who cares if a load of morons who obsess with such pointless symbols because their own culture is meaningless set fire to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Keep on topic please, next personal dig gets a ban.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ThemFifaGoals

I don't get the big deal about anyone burning a flag..they could be doing worse things...they probably went out & bought the flags so there just burning their own money..plus with them big bonfires there destroying their own area so if anything there doing more damage to themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I don't get the big deal about anyone burning a flag..they could be doing worse things...they probably went out & bought the flags so there just burning their own money..plus with them big bonfires there destroying their own area so if anything there doing more damage to themselves

It's a symbol and an insult. Actually, it's a pretty old insult at that. A sort of national method to bite one's thumb at one, sir!

In itself, it's a silly and pointless gesture. But in the sense of what the flag-burners are communicating, it is a pretty hateful gesture to make, despite that yes, at a strict and practical level, they are only harming themselves.

You will, I presume, be providing details to back up your statement about my anti Irish views?

Or apologise, one of the two.

Still waiting.

• Advertisement

Mods: I have asked the poster to provide evidence to back up this wild and untrue accusation. As they have been unable to do so, please could it be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭degsie

Flag manufactures should be mandated to use fire retardant materials only.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

Should boards lead The way by banning any one who calls the Union flag the butcher's apron?
    To a lot of Irish people that would be like asking to have Jews banned from boards for regarding the Swastika as a "butchers apron"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Metroboulot

Best thing to do is look on the flag burners as the total idiots they are and have enough self-confidence not to be even slightly annoyed by it.

They are making total fools of themselves and it looks absolutely horrendous in the international media and does terrible damage to the image of their own community.

If that's what they want to do, off the go!

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Nichard Dixon

samaris wrote:
    And yes, burning Pakistani flags in Bradford would almost certainly be treated differently. Because it's a very different situation. One is basically a relatively few people, generally unsupported by their communities, starting sh1t on a minority community without a long history of violence and hate (beyond the odd bouts, which in comparison to a seventy year "war" is more neighbourly squabbles. The other is a symptom of a much more endemic problem and any mistakes or misunderstandings in how it's handled could actually result in bombs and shootings. Again.

No-one wants that. Thus the NI situation is taken and dealt with more carefully as the complex problem it is.

So if you have a few prejudiced people, you apply the law to them. But when you have a lot of prejudiced people, whose prejudices are basically government policy, you leave them alone. As I said, this hypocrisy might be usefully exposed.

A good deal of private property, looted from GAA clubs and the like, is burned on these fires. Is that OK with you too? Sure it is only a bit of craic.

How would you get that from what he posted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

It's like around the Dublin suburbs at holloween, cat's, calor gas bottles, trollys. Fair few shaven headed monks with cans around after all the kids have gone home to bed that collected it.

TOMASJ wrote: »
    To a lot of Irish people that would be like asking to have Jews banned from boards for regarding the Swastika as a "butchers apron"

Again, it's ok to disrespect their flag, but not for them to disrespect ours.

The hypocrisy never fails to show through.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭danwhite88

The Irish Government should put a ban on the Manufacturing of the Irish flag and then they should become the sole distributor of the flags worldwide so when they buy the flags up north the government will make a huge profits.

danwhite88 wrote: »
    The Irish Government should put a ban on the Manufacturing of the Irish flag and then they should become the sole distributor of the flags worldwide so when they buy the flags up north the government will make a huge profits.

1) Ban flags
    2) Make them yourself
    3) ????
    4) Profit!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

danwhite88 wrote: »

good plan but these chavs steal flags and election poster from nationalist areas

davycc wrote: »
    good plan but these chavs steal flags and election poster from nationalist areas

Not if we burn them all first. :cool:

Should boards lead The way by banning any one who calls the Union flag the butcher's apron?
    Again, it's ok to disrespect their flag, but not for them to disrespect ours.

The hypocrisy never fails to show through.

You said it Fred,
    Ban anyone from the boards for having the audacity to refer to the jack as the butchers apron, and call them hyprocrits if they dont have your take on it.

You said it Fred,
    Ban anyone from the boards for having the audacity to refer to the jack as the butchers apron, and call them hyprocrits if they dont have your take on it.

How did you come up with that rather bizarre statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Mods: I have asked the poster to provide evidence to back up this wild and untrue accusation. As they have been unable to do so, please could it be deleted.

Brilliant. That's some high horse your on. Everyone knows your form, which is most likely why the mod doesn't give a fcuk. You've only yourself and your anti-Irish "Rule Britannia" attitude to blame

Brilliant. That's some high horse your on. Everyone knows your form, which is most likely why the mod doesn't give a fcuk. You've only yourself and your anti-Irish "Rule Britannia" attitude to blame

Again, please provide evidence of my anti Irish attitude.

Thinking that certain republicans are a bunch of complete hypocrites, does not make someone anti Irish.

You can't though, nor can you argue against blatent displays of hypocrisy, so you go for the ad hominem abuse instead.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod Note:

Banned. Personal abuse, back seat moderation etc.
    You can't though, nor can you argue against blatent displays of hypocrisy, so you go for the ad hominem abuse instead.

Mod Note:

You are familiar with the report post function. Please don't respond on thread.

How did you come up with that rather bizarre statement?

Fred, have a read over your last few posts,

If you cant see that they contradict with each other,

Im afraid i cannot be of any further help to to,

Try to have an open mind when it comes to republicans, they being Irish

Fred, have a read over your last few posts,

If you cant see that they contradict with each other,

Im afraid i cannot be of any further help to to,

Try to have an open mind when it comes to republicans, they being Irish

No, you need to read my posts again. They do not contradict each other in the slightest.

I'm not advocating anyone ban calling the Union Flag the "Butcher's Apron" if people want to do it, good luck to them. It is just a petty childish swipe at a nation, the same as idiots burning the Irish flag.

But, don't use the term butcher's apron and then bitch and moan when loyalists burn the Tri Colour. It is hypocritical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭droidman123

No, you need to read my posts again. They do not contradict each other in the slightest.

I'm not advocating anyone ban calling the Union Flag the "Butcher's Apron" if people want to do it, good luck to them. It is just a petty childish swipe at a nation, the same as idiots burning the Irish flag.

But, don't use the term butcher's apron and then bitch and moan when loyalists burn the Tri Colour. It is hypocritical.

There's a valid reason why its called the butchers apron,there is no valid reason to burn the tricolour.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement