Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Tree Software

• 01-05-2012 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there just wondering if anyone could recommend a free software package for drawing up and printing out a family tree. Thanks, J.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Legacy Family Tree is great software for entering your data, and comes with Charting software to do up your charts. From the sounds of it though, maybe you don't want to actual enter and store data?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

We've had a few discussions about this in the past.

Rather than replicate, have a look at these threads:

http://www.boards.ie/search/?subforums=1&f=1288&q=family+tree+software

I think it mostly comes down to personal preference for the look of something.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jdep

Great thanks. And yes will be entering and storing data as well as printing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Mumha

pinkypinky wrote: »
    We've had a few discussions about this in the past.

Rather than replicate, have a look at these threads:

http://www.boards.ie/search/?subforums=1&f=1288&q=family+tree+software

I think it mostly comes down to personal preference for the look of something.

It comes down to a bit more than that though. Some, while free, may set a limit of the number of persons you can include in a tree (you have to upgrade to the premium product for more). Some like Myheritage offer free basic s/w to download which you have to "publish" to their Myheritage.com and there again there is a basic 250 limit before annual charges kick in.

There is also the limit on the number of generations you can print out. The likes of tribalpages.com limit it to 3 before you pay iirc.

It really is a nightmare, to choose the best....I wish there was a definitive recommendation out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jdep

Thanks Mumha. Yes would love a definitive recommendation too as it seems easy enough to enter data on any of software packages.... but the fun starts with the charting/printing.

So if you come up with one do please let me know !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭ozmo

Jdep wrote: »
    Thanks Mumha. Yes would love a definitive recommendation too as it seems easy enough to enter data on any of software packages.... but the fun starts with the charting/printing.

Just to comment on MyHeritage software:

Myheritage offer free - but *very* impressive software to download.
    The classic tree view makes entering the data and managing photos etc very easy.
    There is No limit on its usage (except a few of the print out charts types are disabled and access to most of the online databases are not available)

But if you wish to publish the tree on the web (not a requirement) then there is a limit of 250 poeple that will appear in the tree (you get to choose who). you pay a yearly subs to remove these restrictions.
    Dont pay the first quote you see - there are offers which bring the charge down a good bit.

The chart printing is not great though if you want to print out a full tree - even when fully unlocked. It looks good - but tends to print too large so even a small tree spans over many many A4 pages.

However - It lets you export the tree so you can continue working on it in other packages if you can find one that prints well.

For Printing a Whole tree - I used the free tool WinTree.
    Its buggy so I only use it for printing- but has some very good print options - it lets you import a tree from myheritage.com and exports a printed tree as a TIF/JPEG so you can tidy it up in photoshop and print it off.
    300 records printed well on 3 A4 Sheets stuck together.

Would love a GedCom to Visio convertor if anyone has heard of one.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 22 davidjcie

Jdep wrote: »

The following reviews all the usual packages. I use TMG and Second Site. I know they are not free but then one can spent a lot of time digging up data and it needs to be stored on reliable software which will hold ALL the sources of this data
    http://www.gensoftreviews.com/?paged=2

Second Site allows you to create web sites that can be passed around the family on CD or shared online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I have been using Brother's Keeper (Shareware) since the good old "DOS" days and have upgraded to the present day. I have tried many other genealogy programs but haven't found a better one.

However, I must say that I very rarely print anything.

Advertisement