Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragonica is going into Closed Beta, so get your beta keys!

• 09-04-2009 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have some good news for anyone interested in Dragonica, the free arcade style 3D side-scrolling MMO coming to a PC near you soon.

Dragonica is a free to play game, so it's free to play. We've tested it on 7 year old desktops, 5 year old laptops and the small netbooks, and haven't come across a machine that can't run Dragonica well. If you're playing another MMO, Dragonica is one you can dip in and out of, and is always good craic, so we're hoping to get a strong Irish community of players looking for quality free entertainment on PC.

Everything is 3D, but it's played from a side-scrolling point of view, and the combat is combo and skill based. The only way I can really describe it is sort of Golden Axe meets Street Fighter, with a 10 player Super Smash brothers type multiplayer mode and larger numbers of players when guild wars gets added. Everyone who played it in Tipperary at the Games Fleadh thought it was great craic, so if you're interested in playing it, just sign up.

The game doesn't officially support pads, but I found some of the freeware stuff emulator fans to use to get pads working (xpadder and joytokey) and I play dragonica with a keyboard and my old snes pad. I played it last night on the couch while watching the champions league, which you can't do with other clicky mmo's :)

So to the good news. We're going into closed beta shortly with Dragonica, and I have an allocation of beta keys to give away to boards members.

For the early guys who've messaged me on the last post, you'll be receiving four beta keys each by PM on Friday. Just give them to three mates, brothers or sisters and get them to sign up at http://dragonica.gpotato.eu, enter their beta key, and you'll all get info in due course.

For everyone else, I have 50 pairs of beta keys to distribute among boards members. I'm giving them away in pairs so you can bring a mate in with you. Just sign up for gpotato.eu and tell me why you want to play Dragonica or your favourite story involving a potato. The best and worst ones get in.

We've been lucky that the game has been well received by the media, so I've some stories for you to read below, and check out our youtube channel for some gameplay footage off one of the old builds.

Also, if you're in a youth club, computer lab, games course or internet cafe and are looking for a game for your computers, please get in touch.

Enjoy the stories, and we hope to see you in game!

Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/beta-registration-open-for-dragonica

Digital Spy: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/gaming/a150035/feature-dragonica-preview.html

Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/galanetworkseurope

Register to play Dragonica for free at http://dragonica.gpotato.eu

Thanks for all the encouraging words to date, and monument, is there any chance we could make a this sticky until after the closed beta?

Cheers guys

Jamie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Ardscoil Ris

Super duper. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Now to get my wireless fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Im all registered and everything Jamie, when is the client going live? Thanks for the PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CutzEr

Got my beta key's grand, wondering why you called me Greg though -.-

Will distrabute the remaining 3 between my friends =)

Thanks very much, and can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jamiemc

Oops CutzEr, sorry about that :)

We'll be announcing the details shortly at the Dragonica website, so keep your eyes peeled, and I hope you all enjoy it.

Just one tip for any retro console fans, if you've got an old pad hibernating in a drawer or an attic, take it out (i have a snes pad), and you pick up a PAD-to-USB converter (i got a snes-to-usb one off ebay for a fiver) and the free software Joytokey, you can use old pads to play the game. alternatively, pick up xpadder and you can use a wired xbox 360 pad. i don't have a ps3, but i'm assuming if there's a usb lead coming off it, there's similar software available for it and ps2 pads.

The game doesn't officially have controller support, yet, but that hasn't stopped us figuring out a way :)

If you're new to the thread, Dragonica is an bright, vibrant and free arcade-style 3D side-scrolling MMORPG on PC with combo-based action, four player co-operative partying, ten player multiplayer mode and 40 player, guild wars. It works on pretty much every new and old laptop , netbook and desktop since windows 2000, and is free without a subscription with your gPotato.eu account. This account yours for life and gives you free access to all current and future games published by gPotato.eu.

Pre-registration is currently underway for the Closed Beta Test of Dragonica, and I have an allocation of beta keys for boards members, so if you want a pair of them so you and a friend can get in, just send me a PM.

Check out the website at http://dragonica.gpotato.eu, and if you are looking for a game to put on computers in your college society, school games club, youth club or internet cafe, please get in touch. We're based out of the Digital Hub in Dublin 8 so we want to work with groups based in Ireland.

Thanks!

Jamie
    gPotato.eu

Cinematic trailer:

Mixed gameplay footage

Thief gameplay footage

Archer gameplay footage

Magician gameplay footage

Warrior gameplay footage

Pre-Registration / Beta Key Entry Link

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

There ive signed up, looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

jamiemc wrote: »
    Dragonica is a free to play game, so it's free to play.

.....so how much does it cost?

(sorry :p)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 5,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭spooky donkey

Ive reged but cant seem to download the client. Is it not ready yet or what is the story?

I think its free to reg.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭jamiemc

Hi guys,

I've closed off beta requests, so thanks to everyone who got a key for themselves and their friends.

We have announced that the Closed Beta will be running for 10 days during mid-May, the exact dates and schedule will be announced shortly, and everyone who gets into the CBT will get information on where to download the game.

To clarify the free situation, the game is free to play, free to download and free to play. You can play it for years and not pay a penny. There will be a shop in the game for items (ie character costumes, barrels of health etc) for those that want to use them, but if you don't want to use the shop, you don't have to.

We will be running a lottery among registered users at http://dragonica.gpotato.eu so you still have a chance to get in, and for everyone who has already received a beta key, I hope you enjoy the game and am looking forward to your comments on boards.

Thanks

Jamie

Advertisement