Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

• 29-09-2015 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

A thread to share discounts on steaks and any products to do with eating steaks, be it sauces or steak knives. But mainly steaks.

Feel free to update with any discounts you see on steaks in the main supermarkets so we can all share in the meaty feast :)

At the moment Aldi are doing 2 Striploins for €6 on their Super 6, which is down from €7. The steaks themselves are 190g each which is just under 7oz and might be small for some. But I can atest to their tastiness
    https://www.aldi.ie/en/product-range/super-6/super-6-offers/super-6-meat-product-detail/ps/p/striploin-steakss-1/

Lidl are currently doing 2 Ribeyes for €6 which is a bargain given they're normally €8.29. I just scoffed one there and it was very tender meat. They are 225g a steak, which is just over 8oz. They're 21 day aged too.
    http://www.lidl.ie/en/freshoffers.htm?action=showDetail&id=30797

lets just state a few ground rules
    a) anything to do with price (and subsequently quality based on the price) can be posted
    b) anything to do with cooking it should be discussed in the food forum https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1761

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aldi striploins are 25 day matured

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Ok.... probably silly question.

How is meat aged without it spoiling?
    And why should I care that it is aged at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

What would you consider a nice size steak?

I find an 8oz fillet a little small for my liking.

I think 12oz is good for me

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Natural enzymes in the meat breakdown the structure over time = tender meat

vicwatson wrote: »
    Natural enzymes in the meat breakdown the structure over time = tender meat

And this is while refrigerated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

If you recall in the film Rocky where he's training in the walk in refrigerated unit boxing the carcass that's hanging from the roof...... Well that is one way of ageing steak, it's aged so the enzymes break down the tissue in order to make the meat tender

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

And this is while refrigerated?

yes. :)

(generally speaking) all meat is 'aged' before it is sold, but how meat producers go about it and how long it takes varies depending on the type of meat and how much they want to spend doing it. :)

to "dry age" beef, it will generally be hung as a whole carcass (or a side) and refrigerated in a very specific environment, very low humidity, and a constant temp of between 1-3 degrees in a well ventilated area and has to be monitored to ensure it doesn't spoil.

this can be anything up to 30 days, but will need a minimum of 11 days and usually 20-25 days is the optimum length of time for a good bit of meat as the chances of the meat spoiling increases with each day it is hung.

a couple of different things happen during this time. the water in the meat starts to evaporate, which on it's own will concentrate the flavours and will (as a side effect) shrink the meat, and make it more tasty than if you'd just eaten it on day one.

also, and in just these perfect conditions the normal chemical processes in the meat that happen when the cow is still alive can continue, so the cells still absorb oxygen from the blood, which produces lactic acid which (as it's not being used for anything else since the cow is dead) in turn breaks down the cell walls and connective tissues of the meat, making it much more tender and flavourful as well as changing the colour from light red to a much darker colour.

the downsides to dry aging beef is that it shrinks quite a lot (up to 15%), so you lose volume), and some of the outside may need to be cut away depending on how long it was aged for and how successful the process was.

obviously, as this is a slow process, the meat has to be stored in a specific environment and monitored constantly, so it's not cheap.

by comparison, wet aging takes only 4-10 days, so it's a lot cheaper and only needs basic refrigeration which can be done in transit to wherever the meat is being sold. the short version is that it gets shrink wrapped and hermetically sealed in plastic right after it's slaughtered.

it is "wet aged" as (due to being sealed in) none of the moisture escapes, so that 10-15% loss in volume you get with dry aging meat doesn't happen, plus the enzyme breakdown still has enough time to happen (just about) so by the time it gets to your plate, it will have an *acceptable* flavour compared to non-dry aged meat.

you can pretty much guarantee that unless your meat is labelled as dry aged, it will have been wet aged. anyone who loves a good steak will generally go for a dry aged cut if possible. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

So is it a bargain alert thread on steak or just a thread on steaks??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

dan185 wrote: »

A curious soul just asked about the aging process.

What's your beef?

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Pablo Rich Illness

A curious soul just asked about the aging process.

What's your beef?

:pac:

Looks like mutton dressed as lamb to me ;)

Gets coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭k123456

It is both, if for some reason, you are not interested in the post on aging steaks, you can of course not read it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

k123456 wrote: »
    It is both, if for some reason, you are not interested in the post on aging steaks, you can of course not read it :rolleyes:

Oh but I am interested in the bargain possibilities of steak. Which is why I'd read a thread in this forum about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

The best and tastiest cuts of steak will always be premuim price for same reason,you get what you pay for

fepper wrote: »
    The best and tastiest cuts of steak will always be premuim price for same reason,you get what you pay for

I prefer striploin to sirloin or fillet, so this doesn't hold true for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

jeez, don't have a cow, man!

• Moderators Posts: 12,352 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

sweetie wrote: »
    jeez, don't have a cow, man!

Moooove along here people

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Aldi & lidl are great for the price.

Vibe666, thanks for the insight. Very interesting & well explained :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

My favourite steak is a nicely marbled medium rare round steak from dunnes or lidl. It's generally pretty hard to find a decent looking one, but when you do you're getting a huge delicious steak for around €3.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Aldi Peppered Sirloin, 2 good steaks for €7, you can't beat it lads. Nicer than anything I've ever had in a restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

Lads, good steaks dont cost 3 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

For anyone with access, Musgraves offer 5 huge fillet steaks for €35.. Not a special offer, but they tend to always be in stock.

Just back from Botswana, where a 750 gram T-bone (26.5 Oz) was €12 in a nice restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,574 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

True, I've seen it for 2.50 in lidl on promotion

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They do if you enjoy them.

Pfffft, steak snob :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Pablo Rich Illness

True, I've seen it for 2.50 in lidl on promotion

I think test account was Codding us :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,856 ✭✭✭dodzy

Wez wrote: »
    For anyone with access, Musgraves offer 5 huge fillet steaks for €35.. Not a special offer, but they tend to always be in stock.

Just back from Botswana, where a 750 gram T-bone (26.5 Oz) was €12 in a nice restaurant.

Yeah, but 26.5oz of what ;)

dodzy wrote: »
    Yeah, but 26.5oz of what ;)

Prime Cecil :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Wez wrote: »

If you get the range marked Butchers select it is Prime cut (grade E , which is highest grade) From cattle under 30 months.

You some times get very good deals in the short dated section too. As a rule with Steak though you get what you pay for.

Dónal wrote: »
    I prefer striploin to sirloin or fillet, so this doesn't hold true for me!

Striploin is more expensive than sirloin.

You can't beat fillet though, a good one just melts in your mouth so good!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,136 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Big fan of Aldi Sirloin, never had much luck with Lidl. Must try a Striploin.

Advertisement