Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does anyone here believe that elves and fairies are real?

Options
2»

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

euser1984 wrote: »
    Don't turn this in a daft idea. The point is that all over the world and before telecommunications were developed you find the same ideas....with the same types of recorded pictures etc.

That isn't true, what people think they saw or experienced changes with the times & culture generally. The clearest example is how things like succubus were replaced by alien abduction when the space race was happening in the 60s and sci-fi entered the pantheon in the early 20th century. Both were likely just people experiencing sleep paralysis but due to different cultural factors they interpreted their delusions differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Mickeroo wrote: »
    That isn't true, what people think they saw or experienced changes with the times & culture generally. The clearest example is how things like succubus were replaced by alien abduction when the space race was happening in the 60s and sci-fi entered the pantheon in the early 20th century. Both were likely just people experiencing sleep paralysis but due to different cultural factors they interpreted their delusions differently.

I'll look into that but I just have 5 mins on the keyboard here..... ancient recordings on stone etc. all depict the same kind of things worldwide....

It seems the thread has dried up. I'm disappointed but sure that's the way it goes....

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yeah but how do you explain bad things happening to those that have messed with them....maybe they lived in the holes in that tree and it's some sort of sacred place to them.
    How do you explain bad things happening to people who never went near them at all.

There's one in my mother's front garden. I cut down an old sycamore about 10 years ago and buried the stump. That 'fairy ring' is messed with every time I cut her grass. Nothing bad has happened yet, outside of the 'something bads' that life always throws up from time to time.

:D

Does it look like this?

fairyring.jpg
    how to do a screenshot on a pc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭dandyelevan

It seems the thread has dried up. I'm disappointed but sure that's the way it goes....

You could read some of Eddie Lenihan's Books on the subject.
    He seems to be an authority on the subject, and a fine writer.
    ;)

You could read some of Eddie Lenihan's Books on the subject.
    He seems to be an authority on the subject, and a fine writer.
    ;)

Absolutely brilliant - I was gonna go searching in the county library for information on this.....what a find....how many mushrooms do I owe you?

Ahh, how sweet of you to offer but I'm tryin' to give 'em up.
    Seriously though, Eddie Lenihan seems to be the most recent authority on the subject of Faeries, etc, in Ireland.

He's still 'with us' and may even be contactable...if he has a website.

There's a section on Eddie Lenihan on Boards.
    Just type his name into the Boards.ie Search engine above.

My point is that all these fairy beliefs, elves etc. come from the mushroom Psilocybe semilanceata or Liberty cap which is a hallucinogenic mushroom that grows wild in Ireland every year https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psilocybe_semilanceata

All the ancient celts and druids took them and thus their religious beliefs are based on them and they are depicted in ancient art and murals etc. as long as human recordings of any type exist; not only in Ireland, but all around the world.(although there are many different types of mushroom in other places) In fact, hallucinogenic drugs are still used in many religions around the world.

The adam and eve story and the forbidden fruit is based on one of these hallucinogenic mushrooms....SPECULATED! So, does that mean Christianity was designed to control people....well, look up the meaning of psychopathy....and the large problems it causes in the workplace.

Mushrooms and fungii are very very interesting. Take a look at this documentary https://youtu.be/Rs__kuTuuU0

The reason I started the thread is because two people that had taken Psilocybe semilanceata (should be out now in abundance in the wild (they are beautiful to look at), although illegal to pick I might add; which is a bit ridiculous) both reported the exact same thing....that being, an elf walking into a room and walking out again.

Here is a picture of that mushroom - they are beautiful and in season now....
    liberty.jpg
    post images

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Didn't Sean Quin notoriously come to ruin shortly after dismantling and moving a fairy fort?

For the record I went into the local library today and I picked up about 7 or 8 books on Irish mythology and folklore, including a book on Ireland's witches....interesting stuff so far.

Does anybody know about deliberate avoidance of fairy forts or hawthorn trees, plants by construction workers or large firms in their projects, be they roads or whatever....

I know there is an odd looking mound near me, that looks like everything has been moved and dug away, with just this small mound sitting oddly in the middle untouched; I'll have to check and find out what's growing there.

For those interested this is a great documentary - it seems mushrooms are more advanced genetically than humans; they also seem to have a type of intelligence...

https://youtu.be/Rs__kuTuuU0

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Chaos Marine

I have to ask, can you tell me at what points in that documentary where it's stated that fungi are sentient, let alone more intelligent than humans? Or even more genetically advanced than us?

I have to ask, can you tell me at what points in that documentary where it's stated that fungi are sentient, let alone more intelligent than humans? Or even more genetically advanced than us?

It's actually one of Terence McKennas talks actually - I hope this is the right one.

https://youtu.be/4ZY1L3QLd9s

I never said more intelligent than humans by the way....a different type of intelligence perhaps....

That's not actually intelligence. In creatures that would be called natural instincts. In plants or fungi in this case which are generally much simplier, it's a simple biological machine that performs certain tasks.

Let me try to explain it like this. A dog is a complex biological machine. It can trained. It can react in a multitude of different ways depending on local stimulus. Such as, if I throw a stick, the dog may fetch it to me or fetch it make me take it away to throw again. This is an animal with a working brain performing and reacting due to a whole range of different imperatives, temperaments and desires.

If, however, a plant or fungi, if I was to say cut a leaf off a plant or move a plant or fungus to a completely different location, it'll regrow the leaf or continue to exist in the new location if the location is conductive to it continuing to exist and do whatever it does naturally.

Another example would be, comparing something like a computer with an operating system that can allow you to perform a whole range of different tasks such as surfing the web or watching a movie or listening to music. A washing machine, however, have something called firmware. It's a very limited kind of operating system that can only perform certain tasks in a certain way and if it deviates away from these tasks, it's malfunctioning.

Trying to equate actual intelligence of any sort to a plant or fungi is wishful thinking. It's a simple biological machine doing what it's evolved to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's not actually intelligence. In creatures that would be called natural instincts. In plants or fungi in this case which are generally much simplier, it's a simple biological machine that performs certain tasks.

Let me try to explain it like this. A dog is a complex biological machine. It can trained. It can react in a multitude of different ways depending on local stimulus. Such as, if I throw a stick, the dog may fetch it to me or fetch it make me take it away to throw again. This is an animal with a working brain performing and reacting due to a whole range of different imperatives, temperaments and desires.

If, however, a plant or fungi, if I was to say cut a leaf off a plant or move a plant or fungus to a completely different location, it'll regrow the leaf or continue to exist in the new location if the location is conductive to it continuing to exist and do whatever it does naturally.

Another example would be, comparing something like a computer with an operating system that can allow you to perform a whole range of different tasks such as surfing the web or watching a movie or listening to music. A washing machine, however, have something called firmware. It's a very limited kind of operating system that can only perform certain tasks in a certain way and if it deviates away from these tasks, it's malfunctioning.

Trying to equate actual intelligence of any sort to a plant or fungi is wishful thinking. It's a simple biological machine doing what it's evolved to do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Just watch or listen or whatever....

Do you have a dog actually? A dog is that and a whole lot more....dogs can think...

Mycillium can make decisions...

• Advertisement

Dogs can think... I don't understand where you got the impression that I don't think they can. I gave an example of a dog making a decision. I did have a dog when I was younger, now though I have a cat and a rabbit. Unfortunately an apartment isn't a great place for dogs. And mycilium cannot make decisions. They're spores. They're deposited on fertile soil or plant matter or whatever and germinate like they've evolved to do.

Dogs can think... I don't understand where you got the impression that I don't think they can. I gave an example of a dog making a decision. I did have a dog when I was younger, now though I have a cat and a rabbit. Unfortunately an apartment isn't a great place for dogs. And mycilium cannot make decisions. They're spores. They're deposited on fertile soil or plant matter or whatever and germinate like they've evolved to do.

http://www.wired.com/2010/01/slime-mold-grows-network-just-like-tokyo-rail-system/

Trust me, dogs can think....just look at some of the intelligent breeds. I don't want to detract this thread from it's intention please.

what's 'real' in the context?

if you include things that can only be seen whilst under influence of hallucinogenic then you can write a list of anything you like.

if you try to bring in the diminishing gaps in our knowledge of the natural world to claim that phenomena yet to be fully explained means that elves are as likely to exist as not, well there's reams of logical theory out there to explain the fallacy at play in that instance.

personally- no, they're not real.

=|

Let me state this clearly. I agree that dogs are highly intelligent. It's one of the reasons why humanity domesticated them. This will be the third time I've stated that dogs are complex biological creatures and are quite smart. I am not disagreeing with your opinion that they are intelligent. Please read what I've previously posted about dogs.

Again, mycilliun do not make decisions. That wired article is only showing that they're efficient. The slime mold's spread is no different than water finding the quickest route down the side of a mountain is. Again, they're performing the tasks that they biologically evolved to do and are doing it efficiently. Look at this. This shows human engineers using extensively tested and refined designs found in nature to design things such as aircraft fuselages.

As for that second video you linked, "...this revision of orthodox evolutionary method...", from a tape recorded in 1987 does not fill me with much confidence that this guy will turn out to be correct. I am still listening to it so if he is able to elaborate on that and I can find overwhelming acceptance from his scientific peers that verifies his findings, I will change my tune.

http://www.wired.com/2010/01/slime-mold-grows-network-just-like-tokyo-rail-system/

Trust me, dogs can think....just look at some of the intelligent breeds. I don't want to detract this thread from it's intention please.

'Trust me' is not an argument.

but in particular magic mushrooms which all the celts took.
    Actually, this is always an interesting/amusing one to ask....

Before we agree that they all took mushrooms, and just out of interest, who were 'the celts'?

endacl wrote: »
    'Trust me' is not an argument.

I'm not trying to argue about dogs though....I have one and it can be googled. Plus, I have one - A german shepherd which is one of the smartest. I'll have to google into that more myself in a while though.
    endacl wrote: »
    Actually, this is always an interesting/amusing one to ask....

Before we agree that they all took mushrooms, and just out of interest, who were 'the celts'?

Pagans then? I'm ignorant on some stuff I'll admit but I'm working on it.

what's 'real' in the context?

if you include things that can only be seen whilst under influence of hallucinogenic then you can write a list of anything you like.

if you try to bring in the diminishing gaps in our knowledge of the natural world to claim that phenomena yet to be fully explained means that elves are as likely to exist as not, well there's reams of logical theory out there to explain the fallacy at play in that instance.

personally- no, they're not real.

It's seems that a wide group of people seem to have experienced the same thing...same hallucinations....where else could the ideas of come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭DeadHand

It's seems that a wide group of people seem to have experienced the same thing...same hallucinations....where else could the ideas of come from?

I'm not an expert but I imagine power of suggestion comes into play.

Hallucinogenic Drug use is usually a social activity. Drug users talk to each other. So, if Dude A says to the dude B "I saw a blue fairy while I was tripping" That plants a blue fairy in the subconscious of dude B which his subconscious could later produce while he is tripping.

Much the same why as people were abducted by demons in Times when religion was dominant and are abducted by aliens now. The bogeymen change according to what is on people's minds, what is in the media and what they have heard others speak about.

People see what they are led to expect to see. Hence hallucinogenic visions in common.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭screamer

I don't believe in them, but still, I'd not touch a fairy fort or a fairy bush. There's too many stories, and too many bad stories about them. So, although I don't believe that fairies exist, I believe that the places associated with the fairies are in some way protected or cursed by something that happened there a long time ago (not fairies).

Advertisement