Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Older mainframes still in operation in Ireland

Options
  • 22-08-2015 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭

Galway has assigned space via government funding in the university as a kind of "phase 1" of development of a computer museum :cool:

My query comes from a great interest in older computers still in operation.

Two S/390's still run in the UK air traffic control network....one is working and the other is on standby....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Lots of redundancy in mainframe hardware old and new, was enough to failover. Real issue with them is legacy code rather than the age of the hardware. Companies who run them also are not great at training up the next generation to manage the legacy code and are overreliant on an aging pool of contractors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

caff wrote: »
    an aging pool of contractors.

An aging pool of aging contractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

I know the're redundant but probably still there, seeing as they do the job at a lower cost than it would cost to implement a new system.

Anyways I'm interested in machines from the 80's and 90's still running away in the background - thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭euser1984

Anyone got any information?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I believe Allied Irish Bank are on some denomination of MVS. Dunnes Stores were an AS/400 (I know, not a mainframe but a mini) until relatively recently when they refitted with iSeries/i5OS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement