Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do women think men want?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Tbh if you head over to BGRH and read most posts there, and read posts by guys concerning relationships with women in any other forum you'll see the opinions expressed here of what men want are quite apt.

Of course you can generalise, obviously you wont be as accurate as if you considered every man individually, but for obvious reasons that's impractical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Piste wrote: »
    Tbh if you head over to BGRH and read most posts there, and read posts by guys concerning relationships with women in any other forum you'll see the opinions expressed here of what men want are quite apt.

Of course you can generalise, obviously you wont be as accurate as if you considered every man individually, but for obvious reasons that's impractical.

Ah but that's BGRH and should be read through BGRH glasses* of course.

*just in case you didn't know, they're full ones! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

And (this might cause consternation) I think men want a woman to need them in some ways. Independence is great, but a man wants to feel like he's useful for being a man.
    So put down the hammer, even if you can do it yourself, and let him put up the shelves.

Men can do that still? I thought that was now a specialty left to the professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Well I work with just guys, I train with just guys and I have one of my own. :D

So I think I have an idea of what MOST men want...

They don't want drama, hassle, histrionics. They don't care that so-and-so said this to yer one at the weekend, and she looked at me funny and the other one is just jealous and she's a bitch and blah blah blah.

They don't care that you've put on or lost a quarter of a pound this week, and they really don't want to hear the ins and outs of how many points are in a leaf of lettuce.

They think your bum looks just fine in those jeans, you don't need to wear that much make-up and a mussed-up hairdo and a smile is more attractive than a fake-tanned dolly bird with hair ghd-ed to within an inch of its life.

They want to be able to relax in a woman's company without wondering if they're saying the 'right thing'.
    They want to be able to laugh with you, and want you to be able to take a bit of gentle slagging without dissolving into girlie tears.

And (this might cause consternation) I think men want a woman to need them in some ways. Independence is great, but a man wants to feel like he's useful for being a man.
    So put down the hammer, even if you can do it yourself, and let him put up the shelves.

Nail on head. Apart from the bit about shelves. Most women I know don't know and don't want to know about that sort of thing. (Fair play to you if you can do it yourself though). And it is nice to feel useful from time to time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

il gatto wrote: »
    Most women I know don't know and don't want to know about that sort of thing. (Fair play to you if you can do it yourself though).

I lolled :D I've a fair few female friends who are pretty good at DIY

FavouriteSlave +1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Well I work with just guys, I train with just guys and I have one of my own. :D

So I think I have an idea of what MOST men want...

They don't want drama, hassle, histrionics. They don't care that so-and-so said this to yer one at the weekend, and she looked at me funny and the other one is just jealous and she's a bitch and blah blah blah.

They don't care that you've put on or lost a quarter of a pound this week, and they really don't want to hear the ins and outs of how many points are in a leaf of lettuce.

They think your bum looks just fine in those jeans, you don't need to wear that much make-up and a mussed-up hairdo and a smile is more attractive than a fake-tanned dolly bird with hair ghd-ed to within an inch of its life.

They want to be able to relax in a woman's company without wondering if they're saying the 'right thing'.
    They want to be able to laugh with you, and want you to be able to take a bit of gentle slagging without dissolving into girlie tears.

Post of the daY Id say!
    Well said - waiting and having to hassle and re- hassle to put up shelves is a head reck though !!

il gatto wrote: »
    Nail on head. Apart from the bit about shelves. Most women I know don't know and don't want to know about that sort of thing. (Fair play to you if you can do it yourself though). And it is nice to feel useful from time to time.

Most men I know dont know either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Good start this one.
    I wouldnt even consider a second date with that type tbh. Been there, worn the tee shirt. For a while in one case. Major head wreck, though my willy took over there as she was very attractive. Even that wasn't enough to keep going though. Goes double for the ones who want you to be their shrink. Not good. Shrinks get paid and paid well. Sex though fine and dandy doesn't really cut it.
    Yes. In a big way. All of us have uncertain days, but obsessing about food, either too much of it it or too little is boring and gets boring really quickly. And yes too little is as bad as too much.
    :D
    This is a major biggy and rare to find. OK in the early stages you're both bound to screw up a bit, but if as a guy you feel your sphincter tightening once a month or more because you said or did something innocent, then let her go. Life is too short. You do not want to be one of those couples where the woman is constantly making disapproving looks towards their partner. Easygoing for the win.
    True but both this one and the previous point is all too often an excuse for some men to be complete boors. I would also add the ability to have a discussion about us as a couple without her feeling it is automatically an attack on her as a person. Very common and easy to see as a way of avoiding dealing with things.
    That bit I don't get. For me at least. I would be looking for a partner. Simple as. If she can do something better for us as a couple then cool. Go for it. I'm well up with that. I dont need my ego stroked because she's better at certain things. I dont have an ego about that stuff really. I wouldnt go with her if she wasn't better and added to me as a human being. Also if I can do something better than her for us then it doesn't mean she's lesser. If I got that vibe of "how dare you be better" too much that would be a sticking point.

Independence and confidence are hard ones to define for many. Both men and women. Too many think independence is them saying no all the time or laying down the law. Same with confidence. I am who I am so follow me little boy types. That gets old real quick, basically because any relatively emotionally centered man will spot that for the facade it is. Confidence doesn't require being strident all the time.

I think what I look for long term is emotional stability, loyalty through tough times(very important and surprisingly rare), ability to grow as a person. Self awareness, not self centered(also rare in both sexes, but some women hold the rights to that), consistency of emotions and a physical and sexual compatibility. And last but not least, kindness based in intellect and emotions, not sentimentality.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I used to think it was World Peace - slavish viewing of the Rose of Tralee taught me that chestnut.

Now I believe it is shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭pseudonym1

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good start this one.
    I wouldnt even consider a second date with that type tbh. Been there, worn the tee shirt. For a while in one case. Major head wreck, though my willy took over there as she was very attractive. Even that wasn't enough to keep going though. Goes double for the ones who want you to be their shrink. Not good. Shrinks get paid and paid well. Sex though fine and dandy doesn't really cut it.

Yes. In a big way. All of us have uncertain days, but obsessing about food, either too much of it it or too little is boring and gets boring really quickly. And yes too little is as bad as too much.

:D
    This is a major biggy and rare to find. OK in the early stages you're both bound to screw up a bit, but if as a guy you feel your sphincter tightening once a month or more because you said or did something innocent, then let her go. Life is too short. You do not want to be one of those couples where the woman is constantly making disapproving looks towards their partner. Easygoing for the win.

True but both this one and the previous point is all too often an excuse for some men to be complete boors. I would also add the ability to have a discussion about us as a couple without her feeling it is automatically an attack on her as a person. Very common and easy to see as a way of avoiding dealing with things.
    That bit I don't get. For me at least. I would be looking for a partner. Simple as. If she can do something better for us as a couple then cool. Go for it. I'm well up with that. I dont need my ego stroked because she's better at certain things. I dont have an ego about that stuff really. I wouldnt go with her if she wasn't better and added to me as a human being. Also if I can do something better than her for us then it doesn't mean she's lesser. If I got that vibe of "how dare you be better" too much that would be a sticking point.

Independence and confidence are hard ones to define for many. Both men and women. Too many think independence is them saying no all the time or laying down the law. Same with confidence. I am who I am so follow me little boy types. That gets old real quick, basically because any relatively emotionally centered man will spot that for the facade it is. Confidence doesn't require being strident all the time.

I think what I look for long term is emotional stability, loyalty through tough times(very important and surprisingly rare), ability to grow as a person. Self awareness, not self centered(also rare in both sexes, but some women hold the rights to that), consistency of emotions and a physical and sexual compatibility. And last but not least, kindness based in intellect and emotions, not sentimentality.

Liking the last paragraph - How old and good looking did you say you were !?:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Too and not very...:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 n*erdtalker

ill keep it simple. I think like anyone they want to be happy but they go trhough phases of what that is .. sometimes with emotion sometimes without hence the inevitable mood swings .. but its no big deal. Maintain independence, honesty and a healthy respect. Listen and bingo .. it will at least be an open book

that siad i need help myself. Am bringing a new girlf to dublin this weekend. I have lived here before and am doing so again now. I really want to do something simple but romantic. She is fun, open minded, into art and most of all we want to do this together. We are staying in a good hotel centrally - so anyone got any suggestions on where to take her ? food wise even ? i want this to be a perfect weekend !! appreciate all the advice that will no doubt flow in LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Dublin_Andy

looking through these posts it seems that the women think men only want one thing...its not all about that one thing

women want sex too but they dont express it the way men do... women are more subtle that way

thats why we get this generalisation that men only think with their d***s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

ill keep it simple. I think like anyone they want to be happy but they go trhough phases of what that is .. sometimes with emotion sometimes without hence the inevitable mood swings .. but its no big deal. Maintain independence, honesty and a healthy respect. Listen and bingo .. it will at least be an open book

that siad i need help myself. Am bringing a new girlf to dublin this weekend. I have lived here before and am doing so again now. I really want to do something simple but romantic. She is fun, open minded, into art and most of all we want to do this together. We are staying in a good hotel centrally - so anyone got any suggestions on where to take her ? food wise even ? i want this to be a perfect weekend !! appreciate all the advice that will no doubt flow in LOL :D

Wrong forum for this sort of thing, and National Art Gallery ftw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Wrong forum for this sort of thing, and National Art Gallery ftw.

Spot on. Myself and the gf and some friends go there every thursday when the weather is good, it's great fun.

I would also suggest the Chester Beatie Library. Not art, but tell me looking at a copy of the Koran that is over 1000 years old is not an awe inspiring moment. Fragile as hell and around for 1000 years. Books rock.

Angry D is not so angry this morning?? ;)

Think I'm going up to Dublin in January to do some research at the gallery for my dissertation, can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Dragan wrote: »
    I would also suggest the Chester Beatie Library. Not art, but tell me looking at a copy of the Koran that is over 1000 years old is not an awe inspiring moment. Fragile as hell and around for 1000 years. Books rock.
    /Hugs 105-year-old Shakespheare book that granny gave him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I have come up with this..... i don't know what i want in a woman cause I have'nt meet her yet......

/Hugs 105-year-old Shakespheare book that granny gave him.

Nice! We have a 200+ years old one at home. Sadly it has no cover ( it was like that when we found it ) but it's still a really nice thing to own.

Dragan wrote: »
    Nice! We have a 200+ years old one at home. Sadly it has no cover ( it was like that when we found it ) but it's still a really nice thing to own.

Oldest books I have are either my granddad's schoolbooks or my soviet versions of Marx and Engels from the fifties. Not so old.

On topic: can't believe the amount of women who think men want a mammy! I know the thread is about generalisations, but seriously I have a mammy, she treats me like a kid and it drives me insane. I do not want that from a partner!

• Advertisement

I think when people say mammy they mean "carer" and not "nagger".

Well my ma doesn't "nag" me that much anymore, but still feel like she thinks I'm in short pants.

Piste wrote: »
    I think when people say mammy they mean "carer" and not "nagger".

Don't particularly want that either. Sure, when you are sick, or when i have tore up my shoulder doing something stupid but then, who doesn't?

Well obviously you're not every man, this thread is about generalisations.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I havent read the thread, so apologies if this has been said ad infinitum already.

In my opinion, men want, in order of importance:

a) Sex.
    b) Food. Preferably eaten whilst prone, on the sofa.
    c) Alcohol or coffee, depending on the man.
    d) Clean underwear.
    e) No conversations that begin: 'we need to talk'.
    f) The Sky remote.
    g) To drink milk directly from the carton without fear of nagging.
    h) A dog.
    i) A cool vehicle (or at least vehicle they believe is cool).
    j) Sleep
    k) Cuddles. Which bring him automatically back to point a.

Oldest books I have are either my granddad's schoolbooks or my soviet versions of Marx and Engels from the fifties. Not so old.

On topic: can't believe the amount of women who think men want a mammy! I know the thread is about generalisations, but seriously I have a mammy, she treats me like a kid and it drives me insane. I do not want that from a partner!

Youd be surprised how romance and or domestic bliss can make a man an infant again, but then again, you do have to consider the Irish woman's propensity to infantilise the men...[control] and the Irish man's brain going "does not compute does not compute" when confronted with a woman who does not do that, gets confused and leaves for something a little more familiar.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,273 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Oryx wrote: »
    I havent read the thread, so apologies if this has been said ad infinitum already.

In my opinion, men want, in order of importance:

a) Sex.
    b) Food. Preferably eaten whilst prone, on the sofa.
    c) Alcohol or coffee, depending on the man.
    f) The Sky remote.
    i) A cool vehicle (or at least vehicle they believe is cool).
    j) Sleep
    g) To drink milk directly from the carton without fear of nagging.
    e) No conversations that begin: 'we need to talk'.
    h) A dog.
    k) Cuddles. Which bring him automatically back to point a.
    d) Clean underwear.

Fixed that for ya. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Zaph wrote: »
    Fixed that for ya. ;)

:eek: its uncanny how true boards can be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

an easy life!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Steak and blowjobs.

In any order.........