Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Price Companisons - External HDD USB 2.0

• 17-02-2005 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I have read through the entire "Cheap computer components suppliers" thread, and then went searching in the hope of finding the best price for a Maxtor OneTouch 80GB USB2.0 External Hard Drive or the next similar external hard disk drive they stocked. Price include delivery to Ireland - outside Dublin. All USB 2.0

Results:
    Pixmania.co.uk €134 - 80 gb
    technoworld.com €143 - 80 gb
    itdirect.ie €144 - 120 gb
    iplanit.tv & elara.ie €146 - 80 gb
    komplett.ie €148 - 160 gb

others:
    marxcomputers.ie €105 - 80 gb - Manufacturer name not given
    ebuyer.com 84.65 Pounds Sterling - Can't see if they ship to Ireland / or additional shipping fee

Any advise on best price for USB 2.0 External Hard Disk c.80 gb to 120 gb would be gratefully appreciated - also speed of delivery
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

External USB2 hard drive enclosure: €39 (Zynet)
    Regular 80gb drive: €57 (Seagate Barracuda)
    Postage: €10

Prices from Komplett.
    Total €106

Cheaper enclosures can be found. Shop around (I recommend eBay).

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭CaptSolo

TmB wrote:
    Cheaper enclosures can be found. Shop around (I recommend eBay).
    What about enclosures performance-wise?
    I would not worry so much about price (what you quoted was already ok), but the performance is something to consider - as one would use it for some time once bought.

Toms Hardware Guide has a review of 15 hard drive enclosures.
    What I found interesting was MaPower Warps line of enclosures. I saw one at Maplin, just would want to find a USB 2.0 + Firewire model, not just USB 2.0 only.

Best,
    CaptSolo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

After looking at that roundup on tomshardware it seems that all the usb2 enclosures were similar speeds... and all were well below an internal ata-100 drive performance wise...

if you want a usb drive for backup you shouldnt really be looking at performance but reliability ... personally i'd go for one of http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86759&item=6749734034&rd=1]these usb cases on ebay and find a cheap drive like this one ... this should be able to run off a usb port with no external powersupply ... and as for reliability, I believe laptop drives are far more resilient than desktop drives, not to mention far more portable ...
    if you want a new, large, drive.. kompletthere has a 80gb one for €125 that would fit

Of course this is only my opinion ... but i am looking at a 40gb ibm laptop drive (bought here on boards) in a cheap enclosure (bought on ebay) thats been going great for 2 years now ... performance is about 12 - 15 MB/s with usb2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

hey, i'm also looking for an external hd. 250gb-500gb. this is along the lines of what i need:
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=133468

my only problem is, they charge €25 for p&p, and i'm not sure the site is trustworthy. i can't use ebay, cause paypal doesn't accept maestro cards. would i be better off scouting physical shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318909

500gigs

€155 + €12 for p&p iirc.

Bah, just noticed the date on the OP. ffs 2 years old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭pig on the wing

kaimera wrote:
    http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318909

500gigs

€155 + €12 for p&p iirc.

Bah, just noticed the date on the OP. ffs 2 years old.
    read the bottom. THEY DONT ACCEPT MAESTRO, just visa and mastercard

before i checked here for replies, i checked out the site. everything was perfect except they don't accept maestro :(:(:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

read the bottom. THEY DONT ACCEPT MAESTRO, just visa and mastercard
    my only problem is, they charge €25 for p&p, and i'm not sure the site is trustworthy. i can't use ebay, cause paypal doesn't accept maestro cards. would i be better off scouting physical shops?

Don't see a mention of komplett there. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Same 500GB drive is €181 in Elara.ie: http://www.elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1201082

Delivery is €10, or 1c if you collect it from wherever Dublin.

They accept Laser (I assume your Maestro is Laser too like they all seem to be here?) and bank drafts - I bought a €350 switch off them with a bank draft and had no trouble with them.

Advertisement