Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW timing chain problem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Do regular oil changes protect you?

Some cars go up to 150k + with no issues, while others have failed as low as 40k!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,086 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote: »
    Sick of the FWD already, bazz? :p

Anyway well wear! Smart move to get the warranty. I take it yours is auto with a fsh? Post 1/4/2011 production?

Cheers. Yeah, Sept 2011 build date with fsh and the sport auto box.

Interesting in reading about it that the manuals seem to be higher risk that the autos. One theory is that autos of that vintage don't have stop/start technology so all the engine stop/starting in traffic is putting extra wear on the chain. I'm not buying into that though. Other manufacturers don't have the same issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

bazz26 wrote: »
    I bought an F10 with this engine earlier this week, but thankfully I bought it with a 2 year warranty. There was no way I was buying one of these without a decent warranty. This would be my advice to anyone considering this engine, get the best warranty you can with it otherwise buy something else.

As for the refinement of the N47 engine, they are not that refined especially for a mid size executive. The F10 is a well insulated car so you don't hear the engine that much until you are outside it. My previous VAG CR TDI was definitively quieter from outside. N47 engine is very fuel efficient however, I'm still impressed with how good it is despite the size and weight of the F10.

BTW the N57 6 pot engine that was briefly in the F10 from 2010 to early 2012 is from the same family as the N47 engine and does suffer similar timing chain problems, however you don't hear much of it because the N57 didn't sell in the numbers as the N47.

I wish you luck OP, terrible position to be in I'd imagine but as I stated earlier there are cheaper options around getting it fixed if you end up paying for it yourself.

N57 being a six pot is a much smoother running engine than the four cylinder N47, which is the other reason it's less prone to the problem, though it is of course still affected. Also as you know, no six cylinder E60s have the problem as only the 520d got the engine with the timing chain problem after September 2007 - 525d upwards were still M57 until the F10 came along. So, even among the six cylinder cars, the timespan with the most problematic engines is much smaller, as apart from early F10s, the only cars with the N57 before 01/03/2011 were the F01 and the LCI E90 330d (and LCI 325ds from mid-2010).

PS well wear on getting an F10:)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

I'm looking at buying an e90 as my next car.

Is the 163bhp M47 also plagued with the same timing chain issues or is it advisable to go for this as opposed to a 177bhp version?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

No. M47 (and M57) have the timing chain on the front. M47s are reliable as long as you remember to service them bang on time, and follow the manufacturer's schedule for changing some sort of oil filter every third service, can't remember what exactly it is now that needs to be changed, but make sure whatever it is that needs changing is done exactly on time, otherwise you may be needing a new turbo down the line. Oh, and get rid of the swirl flaps (although on E90s, it shouldn't be a problem).

M57s are pretty much bullet proof once the flaps are removed.

• Advertisement

No the M47 doesn't suffer from timing chain problems. The M47 engine has it's own problems but they are a lot easier and cheaper to manage. Main things to do on the M47 engine is change the turbo breather filter to the new vortex shaped one and replace it every 3rd oil service. Other thing to do is replace the swirl flaps in the manifold with blanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Hi,

I drive an 08 318D. I was thinking of changing it next year and moving up to a 2010 or 2011 5 series. I don't think that I'll have the budget for a current model 3 series.

I'm bloody worried now after reading this thread!! And I'm now dreading a timing chain issue potentially presenting itself on my on my current car (that is a pleasure to drive and very well maintained).

Thinking now of an Audi A4. Any opinions or are they also plagued with engine issues?

I love the BMW and am loathe to switch but I don't want to have a feeling of dread every time I switch on the engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Hi,

I drive an 08 318D. I was thinking of changing it next year and moving up to a 2010 or 2011 5 series. I don't think that I'll have the budget for a current model 3 series.

I'm bloody worried now after reading this thread!! And I'm now dreading a timing chain issue potentially presenting itself on my on my current car (that is a pleasure to drive and very well maintained).

Thinking now of an Audi A4. Any opinions or are they also plagued with engine issues?

I love the BMW and am loathe to switch but I don't want to have a feeling of dread every time I switch on the engine!

But one with the problem already sorted, new crank and chain etc. Off you go :)
    An A4 doesn't nearly cut it against a 5 series :)

YbFocus wrote: »

God, whatever happened to premium German car's that are Reliable!

... Best ok buying a K11 micra or older Corrolla at this rate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

ION08 wrote: »

Better off buy Ford. Best German car you can get for the money.

• Advertisement

Agreed that the 20d's are very bad, the bigger 6 cylinders etc are a million times better than that one model everyone loves to pick on.
    It shouldn't happen to any of them i know but the bigger engines are the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 64,638 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Just buy a petrol. Very reliable :p

A biggest problem with modern diesel cars is the owner. Who does want the nice car (for not that much money), fuel savings and the low tax, but who doesn't appreciate it needs maintenance and care and has expensive bits that can go wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

What we need is a straight 6, 1.4 Turbo from BMW. Turbine smooth with low Co2. Is that too much to ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Fair point but how many will have had this work carried out? This is crazy stuff; anyone who buys an e90 (lower engined i.e. most available second hand) 3 series or a current 5 series pre 2013(?) are facing this potential ticking financial timebomb?:mad:

Also agree re A4; I've been in one and much prefer the BMW. However, I might get a better night's sleep with an A4.

Any other alternatives? I've had a Golf GTI before but getting older now. Not mad on VW Passat. Skoda Superb or Merc C or E class?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Agreed that the 20d's are very bad, the bigger 6 cylinders etc are a million times better than that one model everyone loves to pick on.
    It shouldn't happen to any of them i know but the bigger engines are the way to go!

Tell that to my buddy who has had to get rid of an x5 he owned from new because of the numerous amount of problems he had with it including a blown turbo. Another mates 530d is equally unreliable.. Yes the bigger engines are nicer but anecdotally at least are no more reliable.

The problem with the larger diesel engines is that they are just bigger versions based on the same basic engine family so end up suffering from the same design flaws, i.e. same crappy type sprocket and chain located at the rear of the engine.

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Fair point but how many will have had this work carried out? This is crazy stuff; anyone who buys an e90 (lower engined i.e. most available second hand) 3 series or a current 5 series pre 2013(?) are facing this potential ticking financial timebomb?:mad:

Also agree re A4; I've been in one and much prefer the BMW. However, I might get a better night's sleep with an A4.

Any other alternatives? I've had a Golf GTI before but getting older now. Not mad on VW Passat. Skoda Superb or Merc C or E class?

Some of the vw engines are equally as much of a time bomb in fairness. Although prices for stuff is probably a good bit cheaper.
    The bxe engined vw's come to mind, like the 520's they don't all do it but those that do completely destroy themselves!

veetwin wrote: »
    Tell that to my buddy who has had to get rid of an x5 he owned from new because of the numerous amount of problems he had with it including a blown turbo. Another mates 530d is equally unreliable.. Yes the bigger engines are nicer but anecdotally at least are no more reliable.

Most of the 25's and 30's behave themselves once looked after.
    My own 530 is at 198k miles, original turbo, clutch etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,497 ✭✭✭✭listermint

These types of posts are meaningless when it comes to Irish Owners adherence to maintenance, especially the preventative scheduled kind.

.....oh theres a warning on my dash, im only 10,000 over the scheduled service interval............

To be fair BMW don't or at least didn't at one time list changing the turbo breather filter, on their service schedule to help preventing oil starvation to the turbo. They also didn't list replacing the swirl flaps with blanks in the manifold. They also like other manufacturers take pride in having long service intervals as it promotes the perception of lower running costs.

While an enthusiast will read up on these things and know what they are getting into, Average Joe out there will not have a clue. And to be fair you couldn't or shouldn't expect your Average Joe to have to know things outside of what is recommended.

• Advertisement

To be fair BMW don't or at least didn't at one time list changing the turbo breather filter, on their service schedule to help preventing oil starvation to the turbo. They also didn't list replacing the swirl flaps with blanks in the manifold. They also like other manufacturers take pride in having long service intervals as it promotes the perception of lower running costs.

While an enthusiast will read up on these things and know what they are getting into, Average Joe out there will not have a clue. And to be fair you couldn't or shouldn't expect your Average Joe to have to know things outside of what is recommended.

Totally agree, the breather filter was a huge mistake and definitely cosy huge amounts of turbo's to fail.
    I think the swirl flaps were supposed to be a lifetime item, don't think they foresaw them being a problem.

They without doubt could be better cars than they are, but if minded they can be faultless enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

They without doubt could be better cars than they are, but if minded they can be faultless enough.

I agree. Since I replaced the turbos, I've had no other problems at all.

I read somewhere that BMWs are harder driven than any other mainstream car. Can't find it now, but that no doubt impacts on general reliability.

I wonder are BMW becoming the Alfa Romeo of the 21st century where only the die hard fans can live with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,497 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wonder are BMW becoming the Alfa Romeo of the 21st century where only the die hard fans can live with them?

Alfa diesels are better

:D

That's a bit dramatic :p

There's one engine in BMW's recent history that has given major trouble and typically only after a hard and long life

And it's not even a proper BMW engine because it only has 4 cylinders and is a diesel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

listermint wrote: »
    These types of posts are meaningless when it comes to Irish Owners adherence to maintenance, especially the preventative scheduled kind.

.....oh theres a warning on my dash, im only 10,000 over the scheduled service interval............

I did say it was anecdotal but it does not take away from the fact that within 100 metres of my house there is or was 2 bmws with 3 litre engines both bought in 2008 and with less than 100k km. Both have given major problems including a blown turbo on one. Both were maintained as per the obd.

While I accept this is a meaningless to you, it is my direct experience.

Better off buy Ford. Best German car you can get for the money.

Not sure if serious or sarcastic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Not sure if serious or sarcastic?
    An average Ford is more reliable than other German competitiors these days. So, he is not far from being serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭TBi

Both were maintained as per the obd..

Unfortunately the obd service intervals are too long. The oil that comes out (if there is any left) is like tar.

For instance my 5 series has a m54 engine which originally had a 6k mile interval service. But my car has a 12k mile service interval. Same engine, main difference is possibly newer oils.

Advertisement