Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BMW E36 Mirror Motor Repair

• 14-05-2013 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭

I could not adjust the mirror on the car anymore, which can be annoying, especially while parking. The motor, before it died, was very noisy and was moving slower and slower.

Got a replacement motor from the local dealer for about 90 euros. I could have taken my chances with some E36 for breaking, but given the age of those cars and the high probability it would be busted too, I decided to go for a new one.

Changing the motor is a very straight forward operation and took me about 15mn.

Here is what you need:
    The new motor, a long flat tool to unclip the motor, a small philips screwdriver and a small pair of pliers to pull the 4 wires on the back of the motor.

1.jpg

Now press one side of the mirror all the way in, so you can fit your flat tool behind the other side in order to unclip it. Go gently. That will come out.
    Keep on hand on the mirror so it does not fall on the ground.

2.jpg
    3.jpg

Now that the mirror is removed, unbolt those screws.

4.jpg

Now disconnect the wires, be careful here, use a plier to pull them off.

5.jpg

Put the new motor in place and fit the 4 connectors back along with the screws.
    Check the motor for operation before you put the mirror back.

6.jpg
    7.jpg

Now clip the mirror back. Make sure all 4 sides are cliped in.

8.jpg

Job done. Fully functional mirror. Good as new.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

good job but I'm really shocked that someone would pay €90 for a motor!

I think they go for at most €30 second hand and you could have gotten heated one too.. But good job on the post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

JoeySully wrote: »
    good job but I'm really shocked that someone would pay €90 for a motor!

I think they go for at most €30 second hand and you could have gotten heated one too.. But good job on the post :D

Where are the e36 breakers when you need one :D
    Seriously I spent some time looking for some e36 around, many had aftermarket transformers kind of mirrors, so I just gave up and bought a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

bmstuff wrote: »
    Where are the e36 breakers when you need one :D
    Seriously I spent some time looking for some e36 around, many had aftermarket transformers kind of mirrors, so I just gave up and bought a new one.

Should of asked boards, I think i still have a brand new one sitting on top of the press down the side passage :mad:

Advertisement