Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

hotelmember.com - Absolute marketing

• 15-12-2011 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi
    I was contacted by this group offering a great 'Privilege Card' for hotels in Ireland like the Clarion, Hilton and Gibson in Dublin. You pay a couple of hundred euros and get 3-6 nights in the hotels depending. There is a hard sell but it seems like a good deal if you negotiate like me and get the 6 nights :).

All good until you try to book something through them! You cant book more than 8 weeks in advance, and if you try within the 8 weeks there are no allotted rooms, even when i rang the hotels and they had over a 100 rooms free!

Unless you want to stay at the airport this is a waste of money and totally mis-sold - Avoid.
    wb

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jo_1234

Just wanted to reply to your post to confirm that I have had the same experience.
    After being sold the deal & told how great it was when I tried to book even 8 weeks in advance there was no availability whatsoever (apart from executive rooms for an extra £100 bearing in mind we had already paid £175 for the privelage card).
    I have chased and chased the company for a refund but as yet have had no luck but have been fobbed off with various excuses each time I have spoken to them.
    Just a warning to anyone who has been contacted by this telesales company - please avoid at all costs, it is a scam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

jo_1234 wrote: »
    Just a warning to anyone who has been contacted by this telesales company - please avoid at all costs, it is a scam!

if a company is cold-calling you about an "offer", it's always gonna be a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

wheelieb wrote: »
    Hi
    I was contacted by this group offering a great 'Privilege Card' for hotels in Ireland like the Clarion, Hilton and Gibson in Dublin. You pay a couple of hundred euros and get 3-6 nights in the hotels depending. There is a hard sell but it seems like a good deal if you negotiate like me and get the 6 nights :).

nothin worse than thinking you're the man after negotiating what you think is a deal...ouch.
    These sort of deals are scams, always were and always will be. Live & Learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I'm curious about this. I gather from jo_1234's post that at least one hotel was prepared to recognise the deal to some extent, even if they were not prepared to deliver what was expected. Does that mean that they are collaborating in a dodgy deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

if a company is cold-calling you about an "offer", it's always gonna be a scam

stupid people will never learn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i had some crowd like those on to me a good while back, say two yrs ago, i saw nothing to be gained by them, and anyway if they were that good, they would not have had to ask if we would buy their card, people would have been asking them for the cards,

and

if it sounds too good to be true, it generally is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jjezebel37

I must say, i have been a Hilton member for about 10 years now (both North and South). I have never had any trouble at all apart from when i want to book when the rugby is on.

Just my two cents.

Ps, i am also a Fitzwilliam member as well and never had any bother :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

jjezebel37 wrote: »
    I must say, i have been a Hilton member for about 10 years now (both North and South). I have never had any trouble at all apart from when i want to book when the rugby is on.

Just my two cents.

Thank you for telling us this with your first post....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Just my two cents.

Ahh well that's my mind up so. Sign me up for two cards! No wait, make it 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jjezebel37

mikom wrote: »
    Thank you for telling us this with your first post....

And your point is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

And your point is?

I think (s)he may be alluding to something along these lines:

http://gizmodo.com/5928926/chick+fil+a-got-caught-pretending-to-be-a-fake-teenage-girl-on-facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Shopping around and booking the best deal at the time is always the best value.

Tying yourself to one particular supplier and paying a membership fee rarely gets you any benefit and usually ends up costing you more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jimco005

warn off anybody using absolute marketing . ormeau rd belfast northern ireland.
    they are not answering there phone + fax + email.
    hopefully theu have being closed down by the dept. of fraud pnsi.
    beware of scammers

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LADD0812

I have been a member of absolute marketing for 2 years, the first year they were great, the second year they took a renewal membership fee from my card without telling me. I had great difficulty getting a response on this but eventually I did and got a sort of apology an extended membership and a discount. Ok I thought. We do use the membership so it made sense.
    Coming up to our membership renewal this year I contacted the company early to discuss possible hotels, membership costs etc but I wasn't excited by the list of hotels, it seems many hotels have stopped using them. So I opted out. 3 months later and my bank statement has a transaction for absolute hotels for 300 Euro, not authorised, not discussed, nothing and now they are not responding to my phone calls, emails or anything. They are the most unprofessional, unethical company I have ever had the misfortune of being involved with and I urge people to stay away. They will steal money from you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭ElNino

Do a chargeback with your credit card company. If enough people do that then they will get in trouble with their payment service providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Missypat

I have had a similar experience with this company and after having spent the last few days trying to book the hotels that I bought membership for .... I find that absolute marketing cannot be contacted and I now believe they have ceased operating. I can't believe they have got away with this scam for so long!
    A membership fee £ 225 paid and nothing back! I am sure there are many others in the same situation.
    My credit card company have been contacted and they are going to pursue the matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7 showeringdaily

Hi Guys,

I have just had the same problem. From what I hear it sounds like the company have gone bust and I too had 299 euro taken from my account with no authorisation at all. I have been in touch with my bank and they have advised me to fill out a visa debit dispute(this is the method I payed with initially). As they had my bank card details they could do as they pleased really. I would advice as many of you to dispute this if possible. The more complaints the more likely we are to get our money back. It's an absolute disgrace that this could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1 pmtree

I've seen on Yell.com as well that there have been unauthorised card transactions, £199 was taken from our credit card in April and not refunded, we have contacted the Police and I urge you to do the same

• Registered Users Posts: 3 briankeo

I suspect these are gone out of business as of today I have a couple of vouchers left that I wanted to use before they're out of date, however their phones either aren't answered or no longer exist for the past week or more. Only four weeks ago they rang me asking me to renew my membership, I explained that I would'nt be renewing because it became increasingly difficult to make a reservation using our card. It's a shame because I've been a member for more than 10-12yrs. They haven't even called me back to try and persuade me to reconsider that's very unlike them . I'm glad I declined by the sounds of things. Ps thanks for the warning about your credit card being charged I'll be wary of them.

Cheers for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

One look at their website would have told you that it was a scam.

http://hotelmember.com/

Even when the OP made the post back in 2011 the site was 5 years out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nowen

Me too. € 299 debited to my credit card without permission on 5 June. Now reported to PSNI.

Has anyone been speaking to their bank about getting their money back. This is an absolute scandal. We need to ensure we all get our money back. I can't believe I am not the only one

Just received my credit card bill this am and guess what E299 taken out of my account by Absolute Hotels.... On the 13th may. Is this a new name under which they are operating?.... I am furious that they have taken this money out of my account. I have now rang PSNI and reported this fraud.
    How many more people are going to be ripped off ?

I contacted my bank this morning and pre warned them in case they try and debit my credit card this month as my membership expires end of the month. They said they'd stop it . It's a pity as I said I've been a member for 12 yrs or more and always found them ok to deal with , I'd actually say I did very well out of them as I used the restaraunts in the hotels a lot.

This Absolute Marketing scam was reported on UTV live tonight and have given their email address for people to contact them!
    They will report further on this story tomorrow night.

Missypat wrote: »
    This Absolute Marketing scam was reported on UTV live tonight and have given their email address for people to contact them!
    They will report further on this story tomorrow night.

What was said on it? That is great news

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I have never seen so many new accounts comment in such a short space of time on one thread.

Report on UTV live stated that absolute marketing have now been reported to Trading Standards and they will investigate further.
    Examples were given of unauthorised payments taken from people's accounts. They did ask for people to contact them if they had any issues with this company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 walkabout

Hi, I became aware today that Absolute Marketing have gone bust. I have dealt with them for years and they have always been upfront. However on 28th May they "sold" me vouchers for different Hotels for €458. When trying to contact them in last few days - no response. So, I spoke to a Manager of one of the Hotels whose voucher I had received about 9th June and they distanced themselves from the predicament I find myself in. The Bank asked me to get a letter from the Hotel to state that they could not provide a service but the Hotel are still pondering my request. Should you wish to claim from your bank you will need such a letter in order to get a "chargeback". I am in slightly different situation from others who had unauthorised debits. Should you be in same predicament as me then please make representation to the Hotels in order to clear the way for the bank to take further positive action.

Advertisement